Hi

Im looking for a song that will advance my technique. Ive been playing for about 3 years I learn't caprice no 5 last year and that helped me alot and also im sick of playing the same metallica, megadeth songs so none of that. Any suggestions would help alot thanks.
How well can you play the 5th caprice? Knowing the notes is not the same as being able to play the song.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah i know it well. I practised it with a metronome for like 3 months
I'd recommend something that would allow you to practice improvisation and theory as well as technique. I'm a big fan of Malmsteen's music because, besides being technically challenging, it's excellent for improvisation and forces you to think about the notes you choose, since it can very hard to keep up with the constantly changing harmony. Some specific songs...

- Far Beyond the Sun
- Blue
- Amberdawn
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
OK thanks Ill have a look at those songs Also i was thinking maybe glasgow kiss by john petrucci
Quote by Kurtusw
OK thanks Ill have a look at those songs Also i was thinks maybe glasgow kiss by john petrucci

That's one of my favorite songs to improvise over, actually.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'd recommend something that would allow you to practice improvisation and theory as well as technique. I'm a big fan of Malmsteen's music because, besides being technically challenging, it's excellent for improvisation and forces you to think about the notes you choose, since it can very hard to keep up with the constantly changing harmony. Some specific songs...

- Far Beyond the Sun
- Blue
- Amberdawn

if you're going classical guitarists;
Steve Vai

-Halo 2 theme song
Quote by doomed1
if you're going classical guitarists;
Steve Vai

-Halo 2 theme song

I wouldn't call either of them classical. Malmsteen and Vai really aren't even remotely similar.
I think im going to have a go at Glassgow is the intro sweeped or not
Quote by Kurtusw
I think im going to have a go at Glassgow is the intro sweeped or not

Use alternate picking.
As you like john petrucci you could try something by dream theater. it might seem a bit daunting at first (i know i found them daunting!) but they have a mix of all basic and advanced techniques, and of course monster solos courtesy of Mr JP.
to name a few:
under a glass moon
Take the time
constant motion

listen to some of their stuff and see if its any good.

hope I've helped
Now thats some seriously harsh beans!