I have a crummy Marshall Valvestate which will be replaced soon. I want to get new pickups first so I can bring my guitar in the store and try out an amp with it. Guitar is a Strat copy, but according to my teacher it's as good as a MIM strat, if not better... 5 peice neck And I have a new Mother of Pearl Pickguard that fits 2 humbuckers.

Music: 80's style metal, like Iron Maiden to Metallica (NO grindcore, death, black or w\e you call it) , Satriani\Vai stuff and some classic rock.

I was thinking something like Dimarzio Evolutions or something. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Steel8909 at Feb 10, 2008,
Just out of curiosity, what brand is your strat copy? There are some decent ones out there, but I'm just worried that your teacher could have no idea what he's talking about.
I have no idea honestly. It says RedFox on the head stock, nothing else, no serial numbers or anything. I googled it and everything but still nothing. I think the body wood is spruce, which I hear is a good tonewood, except it being butt ugly :P
Evolutions are great pickups, I'd recommend them if you're not worried about spending an extra few dollars.
Quote by Widow6
Evolutions are great pickups, I'd recommend them if you're not worried about spending an extra few dollars.

Ya I have a few grand sitting around so I'm not worried about spending too much lol

I'm thinking of getting that in the neck, is it aloso good for bridge, or something else?
I've heard evos are extremely sensitive to your playing and mistakes, so make sure to take that in to account.
+ 10 ^ The Evos & Breeds are very unforgiving!! Personally, I'm a Seymour Duncan user myself. The "universal" pickup for the bridge is the JB....it's been used by metal players for years. The Distortion is a little hotter because it uses ceramic magnets, and it handles drop D stuff really well...very crunchy. Don't let people push the Dimebucker on you...it is NOT the most powerful pickup they make...they slap the name on there and people run for it based on that alone. The output power of the Distortion is actually more than the Dimebucker...just go to Duncan's site...they'll explain it all to you.

I recently bought a 1987 Ibanez 540r that had a DiMarzio Mega Drive in it, which is almost identical to the Steve's Special. I couldn't stand it...way too trebly and not very balanced. It was out in a matter of days.

In no way am I trying to say Duncans are better...it's a matter of preference. Vai & Satriani don't work with junk.
Quote by fretboarddragon
+ 10 ^ The Evos & Breeds are very unforgiving!! Personally, I'm a Seymour Duncan user myself. The "universal" pickup for the bridge is the JB....it's been used by metal players for years. The Distortion is a little hotter because it uses ceramic magnets, and it handles drop D stuff really well...very crunchy. Don't let people push the Dimebucker on you...it is NOT the most powerful pickup they make...they slap the name on there and people run for it based on that alone. The output power of the Distortion is actually more than the Dimebucker...just go to Duncan's site...they'll explain it all to you.

I recently bought a 1987 Ibanez 540r that had a DiMarzio Mega Drive in it, which is almost identical to the Steve's Special. I couldn't stand it...way too trebly and not very balanced. It was out in a matter of days.

In no way am I trying to say Duncans are better...it's a matter of preference. Vai & Satriani don't work with junk.

Cool like the sound of that, I have the day off tomorrow and see ifit's availble. Would you also recommend the 59' the neck?
Quote by BGSM
Wouldn't getting a better guitar be better?

I agree with this^^...your teacher may have just been saying that to make it seem like you have a pretty great guitar. A lot of people say things like that when you're starting out...hell I even say stuff like that to my relatives who are beginners ya know?

Why don't you spend a few hunded bucks....get a nice Fender MIM Strat...then think about throwing those pickups in it....
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
A '59 in the neck, or a Jazz...either one. I've always had Jazz's, but I've been tempted to try a '59.
Okay, im gunna go against the grain of this thread.

Personally I would suggest upgrading your amp first, it shapes much more of your tone than Pickups will. There are plenty of better amps that will do that 80s sound.

Secondly, I also say its a better option to upgrade your guitar rather than stick expensive pickups in an (in all fairness) okay at best guitar. You cant polish a turd.

If at the end of it you still want