So in the next little while I plan on purchasing a low to mid range bass guitar. Nothing fancy, just something that sounds decent to record with. Anyway, I don't own a bass amp, but I do have several guitar ones, and was wondering if it would be damaging to to amp to use the bass on them. I've heard conflicting reports about it.

So bass on a guitar amp ; good or bad?

Thanks a lot.
i'm pretty sure bass in guitar amp=baddd
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It's good if you like broken amps
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Yeah, Guitar on a bass amp is really rad, I normally use my bass amp for both because I love how it sounds. but bass on a guitar amp will over vibrate your speaker and could damage if not destroy the amp. however, you can buy a cheap bass amp to practice on.
you will ruin your amp.

bass through guitar amp - bad

guitar through bass amp - ok
I do know of one case where it won't hurt your guitar amp...if your amp has a jack for headphones, which also cancels output to the main speakers, use that and you won't have any problems...
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
i am starting to think God kills a Kitten every time anybody even thinks about running a bass through a guitar amp. There's a reason we have bass amps!
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Quote by djsteiner
i am starting to think God kills a Kitten every time anybody even thinks about running a bass through a guitar amp. There's a reason we have bass amps!

No (s)he smites the bassist who asks. Read the FAQ for your own safety and check out the beginner amps and info within.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I'm curious if the Bassmen Fender make for guitar can be used with bass as well? Or have they done away with that.

I've repeatedly heard of people using passive basses through the new bassman. The 59' bassman reissue has Jensen P10R speakers-- they are advertised as pretty accurate reproductions of the original speakers.

If they really are accurate reproductions, then I suppose they would handle a passive bass just fine. Personally, I'd risk it if I had a new bassman... then put in better bass speakers if they blew anyway
I wouldn't recommend it, but if it's just for very low volume practice purposes and the lows cut completely out, you probably will be fine.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Haha thanks a lot for the responses so fast. I guess I'll just get a practice amp then.

Thanks again.
Use that 15 watt SS amp you got when you started and crank it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i play my bass threw a marshall guitar amp all the time and it works ok u just need 2 keep the volume down but it does work
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
i play my bass threw a marshall guitar amp all the time and it works ok u just need 2 keep the volume down but it does work

Just because it works does mean it sounds good or isn't damaging the speakers.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Would there be a way to configure it so it might work alright? I ask this because my school is has a couple old, not-exaclty-mint-condition guitar amps and they said they'd throw em out if no one offered to take them off their hands.

I know bass ruins guitar amps, but I'm wondering if there's some way I might be able to salvage them.. they're two 4x10 Traynor amps, no other specs available, they're pretty much blank except for a couple jacks..
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by teachmyself
I do know of one case where it won't hurt your guitar amp...if your amp has a jack for headphones, which also cancels output to the main speakers, use that and you won't have any problems...

Well yeah dude... the issue is the vibrations ruining the speaker. Anything that defeats the output to the speaker will inherently prevent that from happening. Like plugging in headphones if the amp has an auto-defeat. Or killing the volume!

But he says for recording purposes. If you do straight from-amp-to-mixer recording, there's really no problem, except of course getting the tone you want. And, on that note, it usually sounds better to record your speaker mic'd. In which case he'd be using his speaker. Bad.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by bucket bot
So in the next little while I plan on purchasing a low to mid range bass guitar. Nothing fancy, just something that sounds decent to record with. Anyway, I don't own a bass amp, but I do have several guitar ones, and was wondering if it would be damaging to to amp to use the bass on them. I've heard conflicting reports about it.

So bass on a guitar amp ; good or bad?

Thanks a lot.
IF the volume levels are low, no problem.
IF the speakers are designed for a bass, no problem.
IF the speakers are NOT designed for a bass, but you keep the volume low, no problem.
(Although the lower notes won't sound all that rich.)

IF you play a bass loud, through speakers that are not capable of handling a bass, BIG PROBLEM.

Safer to use the right speakers. But you can get by, if you're careful.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I think by this point, you should have established that you need a bass amp.