Page 4 of 10
Quote by player hater
There good on cd but suck live

I thought they were really good live, mainly I was impressed that 5 people so clearly off their faces on weed could get up on stage and play so well.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
I thought they were really good live, mainly I was impressed that 5 people so clearly off their faces on weed could get up on stage and play so well.

Yea, you should have told them to look at the back of a 20 Dollar Bill.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
*bumpcakes*
So yeah, I love MGMT like I love cats and weed.
Future Reflections has grown on me quite a lot, initially I wasn't too into it but after a while I just really started digging it.

Oh, and Metanoia is absolute win.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I've recently discovered that tripping to MGMT is amazing, as well as Mogwai, and GSY!BE.

4th Dimensional Transition was intense.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
4th Dimensional Transition is one of my favourite MGMT songs... it's awesome live.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I bought the album after hearing, and loving, Time to Pretend, Kids and Electric Feel, but the rest of the album was a bit dissapointing.

The three singles are really catchy song, and pretty up beat and catchy. The rest of the album just seems a lot weaker, with less instruments and less powerful sounds which, as opposed to the singles, failed to gain much of my attention.

Also, a lot of the songs should be interesting, I mean the melody's aren't boring and the instruments have complicated enough parts but they just failed to interest me.

I really like Pieces of What, although this too seems a bit too stripped down for my liking. A couple of stripped down songs in an album is fine but too many is just annoying.
^ I disagree

Weekend Wars; Of Moons, Birds, & Monsters; The Handshake; 4th Dimensional Transition; and most definitely The Youth are all great songs, you should give 'em all another listen, they'll grow on you man.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
Last edited by -BlackZeppelin- at Feb 3, 2009,
i think their amazing. i like their modern yet kind of hippy style they have. electric feels video is awesome, the song is too. just too overplayed
Quote by Tombe
4th Dimensional Transition is one of my favourite MGMT songs... it's awesome live.

OH YES!! been a long time since i've heard it tho.
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by Nirvana11_3
God, I hate MGMT their songs sound annoying and fake

Anyway, I think MGMT are great. Been listening to them on the radio for months and just picked up Oracular Spectacular, great shit.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
they'll grow on you man.

They're a pretty 'grow-on-you' band

Love the album but haven't been able to get into 'Climbing To New Lows' yet..
I have just fallen in love with this band. I've been listening to Kids nonstop. This song is making me so happy right now.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Is it bad that it was easier for me to get into Animal Collective than it was for me to get into (the non-single) MGMT stuff?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Is it bad that it was easier for me to get into Animal Collective than it was for me to get into (the non-single) MGMT stuff?

Not realy. I always thought animal collective were easyer to listen to than most people think..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Sid McCall

I've been having trouble getting into the non-single stuff by MGMT too, but I'm starting to love them after each listen.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by player hater
There good on cd but suck live

false. saw them this past summer (july i think) at a small club in Memphis. Absolutely phenomenal show! Great stage presence (granted they were high out of their minds) and great live sound. Plus they did a karaoke version of Kids (singing along to an ipod) which was pretty sick.
I agree, I didn't know what to expect when I saw them, but was pleasantly surprised, I actually bought the Oracular Spectacular album the day I got home.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Heard this band recently, they ****in rock. Time to Pretend is just such a great tune, first time i heard it was just...BOOM! epiphany. Takes a seriously good band to do that u.

And its some of the best music for partyin.
MGMT are freaking awesome. They only have two real band members, but it sounds like they have four. I'm so glad I can play keyboard as well as drums, guitar, and bass. I can play all of Kids excluding the solo (dont have their cd and i have dial up so i cant listen to them online). Its weird that all of my favorite bands are 100% unknown by my friends.
Try to pronouce my last name...
Quote by Shawnzy
Its weird that all of my favorite bands are 100% unknown by my friends.
it's just because you're soooo alternative and cool.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
^^lol

Are MGMT big in America? My mom lives over there, and shes home at the moment, andKids was on the radio, so iasked were MGMT big over there, and she said she has never heard of them..
Quote by jimmy_neutron
^^lol

Are MGMT big in America? My mom lives over there, and shes home at the moment, andKids was on the radio, so iasked were MGMT big over there, and she said she has never heard of them..

They're pretty big here, almost everyone knows Time to Pretend and Kids.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
No thread on these guys. So here it is.

MGMT's website.
http://www.whoismgmt.com/

MGMT's Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/mgmt

MGMT Videos/Songs.
Kids
Time To Pretend
Electric Feel
Weekend Wars
The Youth
Indie Rokkers
We Care
Metanoia Pt.1
Metanoia Pt.2
Grayhound Redux
Everything's Happenin' So Fast
4th Dimensional Transition
The Handshake
Of Moons, Birds & Monsters
MGMT on David Letterman

MGMT news.
MGMT in Rolling Stone
MGMT in SPIN
MGMT at Bonnaroo 2008

These guys have really grown on me. I'm liking them more and more every time I listen to them. What do you guys think of MGMT?

Discuss.

absolutely amazing, if they ever went anywhere near the west coast i would be there

i have oracular spectacular on my ipod. good stuff!
Edmond- "But i don't believe in god!" priest-"It does not matter, he believes in you."

-Count of Monte Cristo
Oracular Spectacular is insanely good.

Metanoia is a progressive masterpiece.

And when Congratulations comes out, I'm going to cream my pants.
Now I'm completely straight, but I get hard-ons from watching Andrew VanWyngarden
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Nobody i know really knows this band but a few of my friends.
But they are going to be featured on Jay-Zs new album
Quote by daniel741
Nobody i know really knows this band but a few of my friends.
But they are going to be featured on Jay-Zs new album

i saw that on pitchfork. should be really interesting.
I just bought Oracular Spectacular the other day and I'm really into it.

Now I don't mean to offend anyone, but I've been watching some live performances. some of its great, and most of it's decent... but what is up with "Kids" live? They basically do a karaoke version of it. It's painful to watch, especially since that is one of my favorite songs from the record.
Balls.
^ Kids shouldn't work live like that, but when you actually see them it does. Besides, it's usually the encore, by which stage I imagine they're fully into a very strong acid trip.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

i just learned about MGMT like 2 weeks ago and hated them at first but now they are like my favorite band and i bought their album today and i like every song
Oracular Spectacular is an amazing album and they're so great live, do you guys know if they're recording at the moment?
Quote by DollSteak
Oracular Spectacular is an amazing album and they're so great live, do you guys know if they're recording at the moment?

At the moment, I have no idea, but they seem confident about releasing the next album in early 2010.

MGMT deffo gonna bring back the love in the world
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
It took me a while to actually like MGMT, i had to watch a couple of live videos. (unlike everyone else i know, Time To Pretend always annoyed me on the cd. the synth line is too loud/harsh, imo.)

BUt yeah, when you actually sit down and listen to them they're pretty cool.