Page 5 of 10
I have to be honest, i was massively disappointed with Oracular Spectacular

Singles = good, but they grind on me eventually, and then it seems the rest of the album was weak filler

Surprised at how much hype and attention they're getting tbh
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
The singles are good, but IMO the album songs are waaaaay better!!

The Handshake and Of Moons, Birds and Monsters are two of the best on it!

EDIT: This isn't actually a new MGMT song, but they preformed a cover of a song by a New Zealand band called The Clean at All Points West. Link.
Does it offend you, yeah?
Last edited by Hotpress at Aug 25, 2009,
Best band of this decade, in my opinion.

Metanoia is a ****ing masterpiece.

Does anybody know if it's Andrew or Ben playing drums on it?
Quote by crazy8rgood
Best band of this decade, in my opinion.

Metanoia is a ****ing masterpiece.

Does anybody know if it's Andrew or Ben playing drums on it?

It's a good band, and maybe after a few more albums they will be one of the best bands in the decade, but right now there are so many other bands from this decade that I'd put ahead of them.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
It's a good band, and maybe after a few more albums they will be one of the best bands in the decade, but right now there are so many other bands from this decade that I'd put ahead of them.

Well, this decade is almost over. So unless there going to release 3 albums in the next three months, I'm not going call them album of the decade
Does it offend you, yeah?
Yeah, I'm just saying they have what it takes to become a great band one day.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

Anyone else see this?

Expected Tracklist

1. 	"It's Working"   	            4:43
2. 	"Song For Dan Treacy"   	4:21
3. 	"Congratulations"   	      3:48
4. 	"Flash Delirium"   	      5:01
5. 	"The Hedgehog"   	           12:37
6. 	"I Found a Whistle"   	      3:50
7. 	"Roger (Can You Hear Me?)"   	4:04
8. 	"Truths"   	                  6:30
9. 	"Radio Free Future"   	      3:36
10. 	"Destrokk"   	            6:21 

It was the wikipedia page for Congratulations for a while, but was taken down because of [citation needed], now just some of the tracks are up from it.

Roger (Can You Hear Me?) is a cover they play live sometimes, so I'm just thinking it's somebody who thinks they know what they're talking about putting this up.

And Destrokk was on the TtPEP.

The first 6 tracks are right, though.

BTW, I'd recommend anyone who hasn't watched it click that link up there, especially if your one of those people who think they put on terrible live shows. It's absolutely fantastic.

And here's a link to the whole show.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 18, 2009,
MGMT is a tantalizing band for me because they have SO much untapped potential. After listening to We Care, I was hugely excited for Oracular Spectacular... And it was just a pretty big letdown, really. The first five tracks were the best, but I only liked Time to Pretend, Electric Feel, and Kids.

If they could channel that creative energy to the rest of their songwriting, they'd be one of the best bands out there.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
^ The second half of Oracular is the best part, though.

Especially "The Handshake" and "Future Reflections".

And what do you mean, "would be one of the best bands out there"?

They already are.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by crazy8rgood
^ The second half of Oracular is the best part, though.

Especially "The Handshake" and "Future Reflections".

And what do you mean, "would be one of the best bands out there"?

They already are.

Maybe I haven't given the last half a fair enough chance, but I got the impression that it was mostly filler. Perhaps there's something sublime hidden deep beneath that I haven't found yet.

Well, Rolling Stone agrees with you. Oracular Spectacular made the top 20 albums of the decade, I do believe.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I thought Oracular Spectacular was a solid album and therefore was excited to see them live. But their show was a massive let down. They had no stage presence, the singer looked as if he had somewhere better to be and some of the songs just didn't resonate on the live stage.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Is there a new album coming out soon?

Yeah, early 2010.

Quote by denizenz

the Time to Pretend EP is one of the best things i've heard. the versions of time to pretend and kids on it are much better than on the LP.
They're supposed to be in the middle of mixing the new album now, or done mixing the album by now.

Please be released in January, I NEED NEW MGMT!
I'm interested in hearing the new stuff as well, then i'll be able to have a final opinion about these guys.

I thought they were disappointingly bad live, there is a line between being stoned and playing well and being ****ing stoned and all over the place.

Album gets boring quickly I agree with the quirky thing, but we'll see.
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
I'm interested in hearing the new stuff as well, then i'll be able to have a final opinion about these guys.

I thought they were disappointingly bad live, there is a line between being stoned and playing well and being ****ing stoned and all over the place.

Album gets boring quickly I agree with the quirky thing, but we'll see.

You probably saw them live before they started getting good live.

Leeds gig was insane.

And I really don't see what you're getting at with this "quirky" thing. I don't notice it.
I think with any band that has that kind of "produced" sound, the type of venue is going to make a fair bit of difference when a band isn't the "energetic" type live.
I've never seen them live, caught a bit of them on Glasto last year when it was televised, the sound was pretty bad and the hooks seemed to lack the power of the record
If it's bad, I'll probably cry. IT'S THAT SERIOUS.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
If it's bad, I'll probably cry. IT'S THAT SERIOUS.

MGMT? Doing something bad?

You make me laugh.
I was totally being hypothetical there
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I was thinking, does MGMT have 5 members, or are all the people besides Mr. VanWyngarden
and Mr. Goldwasser just touring musicians?

Now they do, Matt, James, and Will all played on the album, and their wikipedia page has them listed under "Band", instead of "Live Band" now, and it calls Ben and Andrew "principal members".

So yeah, MGMT is a 5 piece now. Andrew's even said he considers Matt, James and Will part of the band.
Quote by genghisgandhi
On what album? The upcoming one? And I'd take everything you read on wikipedia with a grain of salt....

They're playing on the new album, yeah.

And wikipedia isn't where I got most of that from, I got most of it from interviews I've read with the band.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Not sure if I should order the vinyl or the cd...

Do both of them, at the same time.

It'll be like a threesome.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Not sure if I should order the vinyl or the cd...

CD. If they record their music digitally (which I'm 98% sure they do), then it's not going to matter whether or not you've got the vinyl.

Unless you want it for the looks, in which case, get the vinyl.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

I kind of like it, as obnoxious as it is.
However, the tracklist looks horrendous.

1. “It’s Working”
2. “Song for Dan Treacy”
3. “Someone’s Missing”
4. “Flash Delirium”
5. “I Found a Whistle”
6. “Siberian Breaks”
7. “Brian Eno”
8. “Lady Dada’s Nightmare”
9. “Congratulations”

...Seriously?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority

1. “It’s Working”
2. “Song for Dan Treacy”
3. “Someone’s Missing”
4. “Flash Delirium”
5. “I Found a Whistle”
6. “Siberian Breaks”
7. “Brian Eno”
9. “Congratulations”

...Seriously?

Siberian Breaks is the only decent song title. I seriously hope to god they are ****ing with us. If I get the scratch off cover, i will most definetly be scratching/not scratching to make sure I don't have to look at the horrific art.
Quote by MusicalMinority

1. “It’s Working”
2. “Song for Dan Treacy”
3. “Someone’s Missing”
4. “Flash Delirium”
5. “I Found a Whistle”
6. “Siberian Breaks”
7. “Brian Eno”
9. “Congratulations”

...Seriously?

The art work is horrible.
Have they said what direction they're taking? I hope they don't end up sounding like Iglu & Hartly...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by genghisgandhi
I KNOW this album will be a letdown. MGMT will try to hard to soung like MGMT, which will sound more like a techno band than the MGMT I love

Seriously, I doubt this.

I'm pretty sure they'll be going in more of the direction of "Metanoia"-esque stuff, which I won't complain about, at all, since Metanoia is my favorite MGMT song.

And have you heard any of the live bootlegs of their new stuff? Congratulations, It's working, Song for Dan Treacy and the like? Shit sounds ****ing excellent.

This album is going to be amazing, i'm sure of it.

And, I love the artwork, it fits with their stuff well, imo.

The album artwork on Oracular, however, was really lame.

srsly
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Feb 23, 2010,
^ agreed.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
You have to be kidding, the Oracular artwork is amazing. **** Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog.