I am so frustrated! I just restrung my acoustic guitar like a month ago. But I haven't been able to play it because I can't tune it. I have an electric tuner and I know that it is working fine, but when I go to tune a string, it tells me to go higher, and higher and higher and then the bridge pin pops out. It's like, I can't tune the strings high enough for them to be in tune. And then I had to stick toothpicks in the bridge pin holes along with the pins in order to keep them from popping out.
So if any one understands what I'm trying to say, please help me out! I love my acoustic and I am SO mad that I can't play it. I really appreciate it guys!
I think you are doing something wrong with your bridge pins. I've never heard of a bridge pin popping out that easily, usually a string breaks first.
sigh...
well, yeah, I know that I'm definitely doing something wrong! It would be great if some one could help me!!!! HINT HINT!!!!!
The bridge pins aren't the worst part though. I really just want to know why I can't tune it without the strings being too tight.
first of all...when you re-string your guitar...do you take them all out at once? and please...do yourself a favor and do minimal damage to your bridge....but for now...go take it to a guitar store...and have it checked
that's what I was planning on doing, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to. But my neck needs to be looked at as well anyway. thanx!
are you pulling the strings nice and tight so there is no slack on the inside of the body before you string? here watch this vid it will clear up what im talking about at the 4:40 mark. if you watch a little before that he will explain why he bends the strings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBEM6R4ITCA
nothing else matters-metallica will give you notes for the low E, g , b , and high e-string....its a start....youd think thered be a site that you could tune your guitar to....?
wait....will it actually not go in tune? or is your tuner busted? see if you can tune it to this: http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/ if it's actually the guitar that's busted, maybe your peg is too small? or busted...bring it into the shop and have 'em look at it
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by OLP16
I am so frustrated! I just restrung my acoustic guitar like a month ago. But I haven't been able to play it because I can't tune it. I have an electric tuner and I know that it is working fine, but when I go to tune a string, it tells me to go higher, and higher and higher and then the bridge pin pops out. It's like, I can't tune the strings high enough for them to be in tune. And then I had to stick toothpicks in the bridge pin holes along with the pins in order to keep them from popping out.
So if any one understands what I'm trying to say, please help me out! I love my acoustic and I am SO mad that I can't play it. I really appreciate it guys!

It's an easy fix. You just aren't installing the strings and bridge pins correctly is all. The ball end of each string is not meant to rest on the tip of the bridge pin once both are installed in the bridge. The ball end needs to rest up against the bridge plate inside the guitar, and along side the pin. In this way, when tension is placed on the string, the ball will want to wedge itself against the side of the pin, locking the two in place. If you can get your hand into the soundhole, feel around for the pins/ball ends and you'll quickly know what I'm talking about. Once each is in place, pull up on the string from outside the guitar while gently pushing down on the pin until it's seated firmly in place. That's it. String up at the tuners next. I've written a bit about how to do that as well, and included a pic of the interior of a guitar to help you understand what your working with.

^-- exactly. threadstarter, you probably have the ball end of your string running all the way down the groove in the bridge pin and pulled against the bottom of the pin. this isn't correct. the ball end of the string should be up against the bridge plate inside the guitar, not against the tip of the bridge pin.