I'll apologize in advance for the text wall...

I've recently started playing with a talented friend who has a small digital studio setup. He plays mostly metal. He almost always keeps his instruments in drop C, which is fun, but the problem is I'm an acoustic player who mostly plays blues, classic rock, and very little hard rock/metal, all in standard. I love metal, don't get me wrong, in fact it's what inspired me to pick up a guitar.

I've heard so many soulful, ass-kicking riffs played on an acoustic by very talented metal musicians (see; Spoke in the Wheel, Black Label Society), but I can't seem to break out of my current mold. I realize it's a matter of combining trial and error with practice, however I can't help but feel I'm holding everything back by my lack of experience. Sure, I can chug out a few powerchords, but it sounds uninspired. When I try the chord stuff I'm accustomed to, it sounds too "folkish" and it's difficult to solo over because of the complexity. I'm honestly not trying to brag, I'm really not that great IMO, however I'm used to playing stuff like 'Classical Gas' and 'Bouree in Em', so the riffs I come up with are along those lines. They sound nice, sure, but not so much for soloing over with some mud added.

I guess what I'm asking is do any of you have a similier experience, or can you suggest some exercises/songs I should check out/listen to that might help me bridge the gap in playing styles? I know these threads pop up all the time, however none of the threads I've searched quite cover what I'm experiencing.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post this thread, but I'm at wits end and I'd appriciate any feedback. Thanks in advance
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
dude, just listen to more metal, the more accustomed to the music the easier to play/write
plus i play death metal on my Acoustic ALL THE TIME (not kidding) it sounds wicked wierd/ cool
whenever my friend starts playing his songs on acoustic it sounds so amazing, i wish i had an acoustic sometimes, but just search zakk wylde lesson on youtube, watch some of the stuff he shows (not the crazy stuff) and just try to incorporate that kinda stuff into what you do
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
do you think its cause your buddy cant hit the right notes or do you think its your timing/strumming?
the guys from Opeth do great stuff switching from metal to acoustic stuff sometimes instantaneously lol, but as doomed1 said just learn some metal songs, learning how other people write music for a certain genre is always a great way to learn how to play it, it's what i did with jazz
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's a matter of listening to more metal, because that's what I cut my teeth on, so to speak.

I dunno. It seems like he's hitting the right notes, but I play at such a slow tempo that he doesn't have the freedom to do what it is he does best. He can solo along, but he can't fit the kind of embellishments he likes into what I do. When I try to play more at his speed, again, it sounds uninspired. I guess it's a combination of my timing and his, and again I realize it's a matter of practice and more practice, but at the same time, I want to compose progressions that give him the freedom to do what it is he does (because he really is very good), and at the moment it feels as though I can't "pitch anything he can hit" because of the difference in our styles.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Try something like Pathos by Darkest Hour.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by doomed1
dude, just listen to more metal, the more accustomed to the music the easier to play/write
plus i play death metal on my Acoustic ALL THE TIME (not kidding) it sounds wicked wierd/ cool

Oh my god...sigging part of your quote here, hope you don't mind.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX