Alright, I've been searching for a cheap, tube preamp to run with my 400 watt power amp and I found this: clicky clicky, click on this text...

I would also buy this: http://www.themusicmotel.com/store/product.asp?pid=1675&catid=1224&vid=990
To switch between the channels.

So, I know this isn't going to be teh best tube preamp out there, but for the price ($200!!!) it seems like an amazing deal.

Tell me what you guys think!!!

Thanks .

EDIT: I'm looking to warm up my signal, would this be okay?
Go for a used Mesa/Boogie studio preamp, they go for about that price and they blow that thing out of the water.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Despite the name, it actually doesn't have as much gain as it advertises. It's still plentiful, you could do metal with it, but I'd recommend a boost or something because when you dime the gain, the thing gets a bit buzzy. For 200 bucks though, you can't beat it

I'd recommend the ENGL preamp though, it runs something like 500-600 new and will blow that thing out of the water.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Despite the name, it actually doesn't have as much gain as it advertises. It's still plentiful, you could do metal with it, but I'd recommend a boost or something because when you dime the gain, the thing gets a bit buzzy. For 200 bucks though, you can't beat it

I'd recommend the ENGL preamp though, it runs something like 500-600 new and will blow that thing out of the water.

Okay, thanks!!

Also, I'm getting an ISP Decimator for hum problems & stuff.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Ya the engl pre amp is probably one of the best i've tried, tube preamp for 500 bucks that sounds that good great deal, But if your not willing to save I''d rather go solid state for metal tones at that price range

Also check out sans Amps
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
Ya the engl pre amp is probably one of the best i've tried, tube preamp for 500 bucks that sounds that good great deal, But if your not willing to save I''d rather go solid state for metal tones at that price range

Also check out sans Amps

Oh man, I was playing around with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. That thing is juicy. I was surprised at how great the thing sounded. You could get some pretty brewtalz tone out of it on the hot american setting and an overdrive in front of it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Oh man, I was playing around with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. That thing is juicy. I was surprised at how great the thing sounded. You could get some pretty brewtalz tone out of it on the hot american setting and an overdrive in front of it.

Aren't those things like solid state with "tube technology"?
I'm looking to go 100% analog.

...anyway, I'll try out the Rocktron an see how it is, the price is pretty tempting though....

Quote by DiMeTiMe
Aren't those things like solid state with "tube technology"?
I'm looking to go 100% analog.

...anyway, I'll try out the Rocktron an see how it is, the price is pretty tempting though....

I'm pretty sure the things are one hundred percent analog. None of that digital modeling fuddy-duddy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm pretty sure the things are one hundred percent analog. None of that digital modeling fuddy-duddy.

Hmmm....well, I'm still interested in the Rocktron, and my dad said it'd be good for me to learn how to repair/replace tubes and stuff .

(BTW, my dad worked for Rush until 1976 as a mixer (among other things) , pretty cool, eh?)
Quote by DiMeTiMe
So could I do Pantera/Damagelpan/In Flames/Atreyu type distortion with the Gainiac 2?
Cause I know the ISP Decimator would take the hum/fuzz away, so....

I think we have a misunderstanding here. The Gainiac II isn't noisy. By 'buzz' I meant that the gain starts to sound like a hive of bees when you turn it up. I don't think it's gainy enough for In Flames. Just boost it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think we have a misunderstanding here. The Gainiac II isn't noisy. By 'buzz' I meant that the gain starts to sound like a hive of bees when you turn it up. I don't think it's gainy enough for In Flames. Just boost it.

Oh!!!

Aye aye cap'n, 'll see to it .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Oh!!!

Aye aye cap'n, 'll see to it .

Go and try one out. The one I had tested wasn't exactly in pristine condition and I was using it through the effects loop of an amp so it probably colored the tone somewhat.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ya, they sound not to hot, I'd rather have Digital than the Gainianc, unless im using it for like old school metal
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Yeah those Gainiacs arent so gainy. And yeah they really are thin and fizzy sounding. Not a fan myself...
What power amp are you using with it, if your using 400watts of SS power then it wont sound warm at all. You need at least a tube power section to actually hear the difference, well im my experience with rack setups at least.
Dude changing that one pre-amp tube isnt going to do crap really. You gotta listen to what we're telling you: This whole "Gainiac" thing isnt a good thing to buy.
Why do you make threads then reject the answers that people give you. You seem to know what you want. So just get it and be happy with it. Don't look to UG for advice if you don't want to hear something different.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Dude, could you be more retarded right now?

HERES THE SCOOP (If you ignore me and keep bumping it Ill just report the thread):

If you want the fncking thing, GET IT. But just know that changing the one little tube in there isnt going to do jack sh1t to the sound. It may, but not in any way worth spending extra money a nice tube.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Dude, could you be more retarded right now?

HERES THE SCOOP (If you ignore me and keep bumping it Ill just report the thread):

If you want the fncking thing, GET IT. But just know that changing the one little tube in there isnt going to do jack sh1t to the sound. It may, but not in any way worth spending extra money a nice tube.

Okay......
Hey! What about this tube preamp?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-TMP3-Tube-Channel-with-Preamp-EQ-Compressor?sku=188714

I'd have to get an OD though, doesn't look like it has much gain...

Anyways, thoughts?

EDIT: nevermind.....well what's a relatively cheap (NEW), multiple tube, preamp?

(Is there even one?)
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Feb 13, 2008,