Page 1 of 7
I did search, and there was a thread, but it wasn't really an open discussion thread just a question

so...

Are there any folk fans out there?

I really love this music, it's amazingly beautiful

I am very partial to UK folk, and I think my favorite artist is Davy Graham, or Bert Jansch's solo work.

who do you guys love?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
well, i go from death metal to folk, and when i get there i listen to ani difranco or jack johnson, if you could consider them that style.
Quote by deathpidgeon
well, i go from death metal to folk, and when i get there i listen to ani difranco or jack johnson, if you could consider them that style.

I think I'd consider DiFranco folk, I think Johnson is more just... acoustic, I really like his work as well though
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Great to see another Davy Graham fan on here
Favourites have to be John Martyn, Jackson C Frank, and to go a bit more modern, Boduf Songs.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Great to see another Davy Graham fan on here
Favourites have to be John Martyn, Jackson C Frank, and to go a bit more modern, Boduf Songs.

Indeed

whats not to like, he introduced the guitar to my favorite tuning

I like Martyn as well, can't say I've heard any of the second fellows work, I'll try and find something though

edit- Nevermind, yes I have
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 10, 2008,
Jackson C Frank is one of the best ever. Real shame he only did the one album, but as a folk fan its one well worth getting your hands on.

Have you heard Graham's most recent album?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Jackson C Frank is one of the best ever. Real shame he only did the one album, but as a folk fan its one well worth getting your hands on.

Have you heard Graham's most recent album?

no unfortunately, his albums are incredibly hard to get a hold of over here
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

He recently got the rights back to a bunch of his albums and has re-issued them. Was going to order a load of them and sell some on because he was offering bargains to people who pre-ordered the latest album but I lost the order form.

http://www.daveygraham.moonfruit.com/

RateYourMusic
but alas, I don't have a credit card

oh well, in the future, any highlights on the album?
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

It's not his greatest, mainly arrangements of old tunes.
I did a little review on rateyourmusic when it came out but honestly haven't listened to it a huge amount since. His older stuff is slightly better I'd say.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
It's not his greatest, mainly arrangements of old tunes.
I did a little review on rateyourmusic when it came out but honestly haven't listened to it a huge amount since. His older stuff is slightly better I'd say.

it usually seems that way for most people, they usually do their best work young

ever listen to Ralph McTell?
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

See my Will Oldham thread.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Quote by Liam Alan
See my Will Oldham thread.

yeah, he's alright, I'm not so much into the country-folk sound, I can understand why one might like it

I did like some of it though, I think I'll have a look around for some more stuff

and Andrewbiles, is this forum always this dead? lol
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 11, 2008,
Have listened to bits of McTell - my mum's a fan - but can usually take or leave his stuff. Better stuff out there in my opinion.

And yes, generally the Other forum is one of the slowest B&A forums, people seem to stick to there prefered forums on here as most of them are more communal whereas in here only a few threads get regular postings. Usually some of the more interesting stuff pops up in here though.

RateYourMusic
Yey ! a thread for my fav genre ( im still waiting for a Folk Forum! )

Folk is such a broad genre with so many diffrent styles in it. Irish traditional Music had got to be my fav along with other British Folk music, I also like other European Folk music and North american and australian folk music, theres a surprising amount of good folk music coming out of australia.

Too the thread starter you should check out Pentagle and Fairport Convention you'd probably like them, also check out Show Of Hands just bought there double album yesterday, and im very impressed.
Fan of Japanese folk per chance?
I've only got CDs by Kazuki Tomokawa and Shuji Inaba but really like what I hear - especially the latter. Looking for a few recommendations if anyone has some?
Kind of off-routed myself from the slightly more noisey side of Japan of Acid Mothers Temple, Tetuzi Akiyama and Keijo and really just have no idea where to look for the folk stuff.

RateYourMusic
^ I can't say I have heard more than a song or two, so I'm afraid I can't

Quote by Greentreejester
Yey ! a thread for my fav genre ( im still waiting for a Folk Forum! )

Folk is such a broad genre with so many diffrent styles in it. Irish traditional Music had got to be my fav along with other British Folk music, I also like other European Folk music and North american and australian folk music, theres a surprising amount of good folk music coming out of australia.

Too the thread starter you should check out Pentagle and Fairport Convention you'd probably like them, also check out Show Of Hands just bought there double album yesterday, and im very impressed.

haha, of course!, Bert Jansch is my hero, and Sandy Denny is amazing

I love Irish music as well, my best friends family comes from Newfoundland and I've heard it played all the time. Russian folk is another I find very beautiful, it is a real shame that all folk is so obscure, I know few artists, I just enjoy the music.

I really wish someone could let me know where to find a lot of it.
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 14, 2008,
Yea, its a shame that not may people get to hear folky stuff, most radio station and the like turn down artist just becouse there called "folk".

Also as your from Canada im guessing its hard to find English folk music, but theres a fair amount of Irish music coming out if Canada so that shouldnt be to hard to find.
I'm a big fan of Bert Jansch. Needle of Death is my favourite song by him and one of my favourite songs ever.

I don't really know an awful lot about folk but I love Nick Drake, Woody Guthrie, Fairport Convention, Bridget Saint John, Tim Buckley and Phil Ochs. I'm more into folk-rock than folk I guess.

I've recently been listening to Davy Graham as well.
^ Bridget St John and Phil Ochs are first class.

Got a 7" box set from Simon Joyner this morning that covers some amazing tracks. Have yet to listen to it but the track listing is amazing and for £6 I'm not going to complain.

To Live Is To Fly (Townes Van Zandt)
Midnight Through Morning (David Blue)
Sandman's Song (Anne Briggs)
For A Spanish Guitar (Gene Clark)
The Visit (Jackson C. Frank)
Casey's Last Ride (Kris Kristofferson)
Janet Says (Jerry Jeff Walker)
In Search Of An Audience (Jim McCarthy)
My Town (Paul Siebel)
No More Songs (Phil Ochs)

Really good selection, and hopefully going to be a good intro into Paul Siebel and Kris Kristofferson.

RateYourMusic
^ Gene Clark's solo career is seriously underrated.

Has anyobdy heard 'The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark'? Such a great album. Everyone should listen to it, even though it's more country than anything else.
Quote by Greentreejester
Yea, its a shame that not may people get to hear folky stuff, most radio station and the like turn down artist just becouse there called "folk".

Also as your from Canada im guessing its hard to find English folk music, but theres a fair amount of Irish music coming out if Canada so that shouldnt be to hard to find.

Definitely, there is no shortage of Irish music in Canada, because most of the eastern coast of Canada is of either Irish or Scottish heritage, so there is a great network of artists, and just lots of it in general in the maritimes. you really have no idea how hard it is to find British Folk here though, which is something I find odd, because most of Canada is descended from Britons.
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
Definitely, there is no shortage of Irish music in Canada, because most of the eastern coast of Canada is of either Irish or Scottish heritage, so there is a great network of artists, and just lots of it in general in the maritimes. you really have no idea how hard it is to find British Folk here though, which is something I find odd, because most of Canada is descended from Britons.

You can also find a lot of British folk influences in well known bands like Led Zeppelin and Jethro Tull. Ive never really got into burt Bert Jansch's solo stuff, becouse ive never really had the chance to listen to him. Any album/song suggetions ?

Just been getting into Jeff Lang, i love his folk/blues/roots/rock mix, anyone ells into this guy ?
Last edited by Greentreejester at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by Greentreejester
You can also find a lot of British folk influences in well known bands like Led Zeppelin and Jethro Tull. Ive never really got into burt Bert Jansch's solo stuff, becouse ive never really had the chance to listen to him. Any album/song suggetions ?

Just been getting into Jeff Lang, i love his folk/blues/roots/rock mix, anyone ells into this guy ?

haha,funny you should mention that because white summer/black mountainside was the song that first sparked my interest in the genre

as for Bert Jansch, Definitely his first album, I think all his pre-pentangle albums are amazing

Individual songs:

Black Water Side
Needle of Death
his version of "Anji" is absolutely amazing
Poison
Courting Blues
Bells

those are some good and fairly well known Jansch tunes, give them a try

if you want a good compilation, get the "pentangle family" 2cd thing, it's got pentangle, some Jansch solo stuff. some Renbourn solo stuff, and some Bert and John stuff, really cool

as for Jeff Lang, I've never heard him before, but I'll check it out

In turn I'll recommend a Canadian guy that plays the same thing

His name is Matt Andersen, he plays the same Blues, Roots, Folk thing, and he is just great. I'll link you a video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xa265U5h350&feature=related

great acoustic blues jam he does, he is a great player and singer
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 15, 2008,
Just been listing to the song "Angie" by Burt Jansch's and really enjoying it, ill be looking out for his albums.

That Matt Andersen has some insane fingers.

Edit: just found out that the song Angie is orignaly by Davy Graham (The father of dadgad, one of my fav tuning)
Last edited by Greentreejester at Feb 15, 2008,
^ yes it is, I have both versions, I prefer Jansch's but they both are amazing

and Graham is like, the first person I mentioned in this thread, I love playing in DADGAD

edit-man, how depressing is that

can't even get a folk thread past 25 posts
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Last edited by Carswell98 at Feb 19, 2008,
Another band you should check out is Lindisfarne and if you havent already check out Nick Drake, and Richard Tompson from Fairport Convention both have been influenced quite a bit by Burt Jansch. Its strange how ive listened to many people influenced by Jansch but never listened to him.

Oh and before i forget check out John Tams as well.

Im going to try my hardest to keep this thread going, but its not in a place where many people look.
Actually I think I have 3 Drake albums, good stuff.

I have a few Richard Thompson songs on my computer

actually, I always get Richard and Danny Thompson mixed up, and when I searched youtube I found this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Knc7tG6fcx0 , so it worked out

and I actually like both of them anyways

...and speaking of Danny Thompson,

here is a great video of Pentangle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RwT0COKXFMM
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I like Richard Thompson singing on that song, It was a good duo.

And with Burt Jansch, you start off thinking it dosent seem as though his voice is made for singing, but some how it just works for him, and i like it.
Last edited by Greentreejester at Feb 19, 2008,
Oh, actually, I recently bought an album expecting one thing and got another

Rory Gallagher was starting to go folk around the time of his death, and I bought the "Wheels within Wheels" album released after he passed, and I thought it would be the rock I was accustomed to hearing him play; but instead it was an amazing roots album, its a shame he passed so soon

it was great, a lot of amazing stuff, I'd recommend it to anybody

here is an interview from at the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFdR388vxQ

Quote by Greentreejester
I like Richard Thompson singing on that song, It was a good duo.

And with Burt Jansch, you start off thinking it dosent seem as though his voice is made for singing, but some how it just works for him, and i like it.

there is a reason they used to call him the "British Bob Dylan"

even though he is Scottish

edit

my god http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6srNv6W0RE
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

If anyone's interested ive just recorded a new original Irish jig on guitar, wouldnt mind some opinions on it. Ive Posted it in the recording section as well, but i thought id post it here as this thread needs more posts.

Misty Valley Jig, influenced by the mist we get in the valleys here at home.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Greentreejester/

Hope you enjoy.

Edit, that singing is pretty awsome, its like their singing a jig or reel.
Last edited by Greentreejester at Feb 20, 2008,
One of my favourite musical genres.
fav artists are fairport, steeleye span, seth lakeman, richard thompson, and any irish trad i can get my greasy mitts on.
For any fairport/general folk fans, try Cropredy Festival. Lots of different types of folk, and a 3 hour set from fairport.
And Greentreejester, i'm loving that jig you recorded, the tonality reminds me of The Blarney Pilgrim (if you know that one)

EDIT: :O forgot Flook, awesome band especially live
Cheers, it means alot, and yeah I know The Blarney Pilgrim, tis a great jig.

And on the subject of Seth Lakeman, i really like his playing but i really dont like his singing, to much like the "generic indie" type singing. Make sure you check out Show Of Hands, im sure you'll like them.
Quote by korinaflyingv
I saw show of hands last year at cropredy festival, was amazing
and i found after a while i got used to seth lakeman's vocals (i used to hate them with a passion) and i find it incredible that he can sing that well whilst playing really fast fiddle.

Ahh, you lucky bugger, i was going to see them at cheltenham folk festival but they sold out so quickly.

And Seth Lakeman's fiddle playing when singing is the thing that impresses me the most about him.
Quote by Greentreejester
If anyone's interested ive just recorded a new original Irish jig on guitar, wouldnt mind some opinions on it. Ive Posted it in the recording section as well, but i thought id post it here as this thread needs more posts.

Misty Valley Jig, influenced by the mist we get in the valleys here at home.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Greentreejester/

Hope you enjoy.

Edit, that singing is pretty awsome, its like their singing a jig or reel.

Left a comment, I liked it very much

actually I recorded a new one today as well >_<

you should give it a go
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Thanks alot, i mest up a couple of times, the intro was ment to sound something similar to The Kesh Jig but messed that up, i might have a go at recording it again, but who knows.

Your Gallagher cover was nice, but i especially like "No titulado" is that one of your own ?

I thought id post my all time fav Irish Trad groups.

1, The Cheiftans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hk13Dn7ePY
2, Bothy Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjS2ExtzvII
3, Lunasa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6BO4lSL0xM
4, Danu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-MrUX03mWM
5, Dervish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_Klkz3p7A
6, Flook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdvW9HB1oM
7, De Dannan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqpB7N0NPi0
8, Dubliners http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcA3MmV6Ymk
9, Planxty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3A5Tgy47M
10, Solas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD_3CnaeCoM
Last edited by Greentreejester at Feb 21, 2008,
^ thanks

yeah the other one was an original

that is a great little collection there, I actually just found this torrent, "The Irish Collection" last night, 4.5GB of Irish music, it's going to be a while before I can get through all of it
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Lol, that'll keep you going. Whats your Yamaha: Fg720s 12 string like ? thinking about investing in one.