I'm interested in modding my Digitech Death Metal pedal. I've got a schematic for it and it's virtual twin the Grunge pedal. I'm planning on adding a gain control knob. Has anyone done this before? Anything I should know?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
throw it against a wall, it'll sound better afterwards
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I like how it sounds, otherwise I wouldn't want to modify it. I just want to use it on less than 'ultra-mega' distortion levels, more in the range of 'super' to 'ultra' distorted.

And if I threw it against a brick wall, I'd have a cracked brick wall and a scratched but perfectly working pedal.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Feb 11, 2008,
I would exchange both the first 220K feedback resistor as well as the second 120K feedback resistors for pots, to begin with. That will allow you a huge amount of gain adjustment. Also, try swapping the 1N4148 diodes for germaniums (1N34, etc.) and/or, place the clipping diodes in parallel with the first, second, or both feedback resistor stages (tube-screamer-ish). Two successive stages of feedback clipping sound sweet, IMO.
They have listed lots of possible mods right on the sheet.

Try playing with the clipping diodes. Different materials will give different sounds. To reduce gain I would try two or more silicons in series...Try LEDs too. Might want to use new transistors with lower gain.

I find with cheap pedals like this it is good to replace key components in the signal chain to high quality materials (metal film, poly film etc.)...Also I have never tried this pedal but I imagine it is shrill and lacks bass and mids. Try working with those ideas.