For the past few months, i've been searching for amps and have found a few that i like, but either didn't fit into my budget or had a few flaws for my taste. Now that i've got a job lined up for mid april to june, i will get about $2,000 to $2,500 by mid june. Pretty nice budget for a new amp right?

After searching for a while, I've come to love the sound of the Bogner Uberschall (i think an Uberschall and a Mesa Stilleto may just be a sexy tone blend waiting to happen). However, the Uberschall head, even used, is the majority, if not ALL of my budget.

So i grew disheartened. I searched longer, and dug the sound of both the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and Mesa Boogie Triaxis, but realized they would need a power amp AND a cab to run through. Preamp, Power Amp, and Cab of my desire would again run most of my budget, so I started to look elsewhere.

I love the sound of Mesa's Mark IV, but the heads run about 1000 - 1800, used, and are like 18 or 19 hundred new, so again, the head would cost alot, plus a quality cab to run through would be most of my budget.

Then one night I had an epiphany; i don't really need a head and a cab (although i would LOVE one), considering gigs I would possibly be playing wouldn't be enormous. So i figured a 50 watt 1x12 or 2x12 combo would be just perfect for my needs.

After searching around on amps, listening to various forms of recordings done with them, and playing a few (well, out of these, just one), i narrowed down my choice of amps to:

- Mesa Boogie DC-5 combo
- Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo
- Mesa Boogie Stilletto Ace combo
or
-Meas Boogie Rectoverb Combo

All those amps seem to go from 500 - 1100 on ebay, so not only would i get a REALLY nice sounding amp, but i'd have enough money left over for various effects and a new guitar (possibly). In case you were wondering, THAT is the reason i don't want to spend all of my money on an amp that has a helluva lot more power than i would need right now.

Now, in case you're wondering, I play a lot of Rock and Metal. I'd list my favorite bands, but there are waaaay too many (Facebook no longer has room for my list of favorites). But to give you an idea, stuff from Zepplin to Van Halen to Metallica to Megadeth to Rage Against the Machine to Deftones to Killswitch Engage to Tool and Strapping Young Lad, if that gives you some idea.

In the amp that i choose, i want nice cleans (not neccesarily the squiekiest of clean tones, but a pretty good one, especially for the money), and [important] nice, smooth, sustainy distortion that can go from mellow to screaming to grinding. Lots of clarity in both channels too.

Alright, so I think I covered everything, so opinions and thoughts would be most appreciated. If I forgot anything, just ask it.

Thanks in advance,
RG_FANMAN

PS - There's a possibility of another job during soccer season that would net the same amount of money, if not more, so if you think i should wait until then to purchase an amp, say so. Thanks again.
If we're sticking with Mesa/Boogie. I'd go with the Mark IV. Sure it's a tweaker amplifier, but when you finally do find your tone, it's quite satisfying to say the least. Does your current amplifier have an effects loop? Because if it does, you could run the preamp through it and basically use your current amplifier as a power amp/ cabinet.

If you want an awesome amplifier that can get quite heavy a la Mesa/Boogie and still has marvelous cleans, check out the Carvin V3. It's affordable and sounds killer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I love the sound of Mesa's Mark IV, but the heads run about 1000 - 1800, used, and are like 18 or 19 hundred new, so again, the head would cost alot, plus a quality cab to run through would be most of my budget.

There is absolutely no reason you can't find a used Mark IV head for 1100 or so, and a used Vader cab (cheaper, with tighter low end than Mesa) would only run you $400 new. It would still leave you a grand for whatever other equipment you need.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The Mark IV is no doubt the winner on that list (imo). The others are good, but the Mark IV can do everything they can and more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i really like the stilletto deuce. its been described as a recto/mark type of amp. mark iv is great, but being an owner of one, its not as great as everyone here raves. the uberschall is godlike though!!
Well Enough Alone
i really like the stilletto deuce. its been described as a recto/mark type of amp

By who? It's not really similar to either.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by guitardude11
i really like the stilletto deuce. its been described as a recto/mark type of amp. mark iv is great, but being an owner of one, its not as great as everyone here raves. the uberschall is godlike though!!

I thought it lived up too the hype. Albeit, it was a bit darker than expected.

The Stiletto isn't a bad choice either TS!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Stilettos are great but I really think I'd go for something absolutely killer, buy used man.

You could have a Roadking stack for $2500 if you buy used.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have a mark IV that I happened to find used for 1100. It was totally worth it (combo). 3 channels, very versatile, footswitch, and the built in EQ is great. Effects loop etc

I too was looking for a head/cab combo, but I ended up going with this, and I am happier that I did for two main reasons;
A) if I need to drive somewhere to practice or play, its alot easier to deal with, also 90% of the time places I play are MIC'ing the amps
B) I can always unplug the speaker and power a cab with it if i want, so its the best of both worlds really (not that I would need to it is PLENTY loud)

anyway, hope that helps, congrats on your new amp in advance, again i HIGHLY reccomend the Mark IV combo
Alright, so it seems hands down that the Mark IV is the recommendation of choice. I was actually leaning towards it, but just wanted some more opinions.

However, i do have two more questions;

1. What have you guys heard about the DC series? A bunch of people on Harmony Central have described it as a cross between a Mark series and a Rectifier; Mark Cleans, Recto distortion. Are they any good?

2. Because H4T3BR33D3R mentioned brands, I would be open to some other brands. I love Mesas sound (obviously), but I really dig some of the Bogners, Diezels, VHT's, Framuses, Randalls (hey, they're not half bad), Marshalls and Peaveys I've come across, so if you think i should also check something else out, please post it.
The Mesa Mark IV would be a great choice, but if you are open to other things, definitely check out Framus as well. The other brands, I don't know much about.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
btw, how are the Mesa Dual Recto Rackmount and Tremoverb models? There's a tremoverb 2x12 combo near me for 1350-ish, so i'm kinda curious.
can you try it out? i dunno if the tremoverb has the same feel as a dual recto, likewise the rectoverb and the single recto.

and of course i'm gonna have to cast a vote for the mark iv, since i don't have as much experience with the others.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by RG_FANMAN
btw, how are the Mesa Dual Recto Rackmount and Tremoverb models? There's a tremoverb 2x12 combo near me for 1350-ish, so i'm kinda curious.

They're both variations of the Rectifier style amplifiers. How are they? Well if you know the Recto sound really well, it'll be something like that.

On a different note, I think they should rename the 'Raw' mode, 'Vintage' and vice versa.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Unsigned Records; I could try the Tremoverb out, and hopefully that guitar center carries Mark IV's too (fat chance, but one can hope, right?)

H4TBR33D3R: Newer rectos don't sound as nice as the older, 2 ch. ones to my ears. Since the Tremoverb is 2 ch., i figured it'd be more like the older ones, so I was curious.

Thanks again guys. As of now, I'm leaning almost completely towards the Mark IV.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
H4TBR33D3R: Newer rectos don't sound as nice as the older, 2 ch. ones to my ears. Since the Tremoverb is 2 ch., i figured it'd be more like the older ones, so I was curious.

You're correct. The Rect-O-Verb and Trem-O-Verbs sound more like the older 2 channel rectos, have much better cleans and have more than just a rhythm tone in them. They're very versatile amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The road king series 2 seems like the ultimate amp head is $2500 212 combo is $2700, some day I will get it it will take a long time to save up for though.
i've heard mixed reviews about the road king. It sounds great, but has a ****load of features, half of which i probably wouldn't use. The Roadster is more stripped down, but it's still kinda expensive (going used i see them 1600 +).
Quote by RG_FANMAN
i've heard mixed reviews about the road king. It sounds great, but has a ****load of features, half of which i probably wouldn't use. The Roadster is more stripped down, but it's still kinda expensive (going used i see them 1600 +).

The reason the roadster isn't selling for less is because 1. It's in pretty high demand, it does just about everything exceptionally well. 2. They're no more than 2 years old.

I got my roadking head used for $1,700. Yeah, it's a series 1, but it's still an excellent amp. IMO, i'd much rather spend $1,700 on a used roadking than $1,700 on a new triple recto.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hey guys, another question i thought of while looking around at prices for the Mark IV;

What are the differences in size? I noticed there's the standard head, short head, long chasis head, regular combo and wideboy combo. What makes each one better/worse than the others?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
hey guys, another question i thought of while looking around at prices for the Mark IV;

What are the differences in size? I noticed there's the standard head, short head, long chasis head, regular combo and wideboy combo. What makes each one better/worse than the others?

there are only 2 kinds of heads, long and short. The only difference is 2 of the switches on the front of the longhead, are moved to the back to make it shorter. The shorthead can fit in a standard rack case with the rack adapter that's built for it. I assume the widebody and regular combos are the same thing. There is no difference in the sound, it's simply form factor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
oh, those kinda seem like more set and forget features (maybe not the mid gain/harmonic switch, but at least the EQ selection switch).

Thanks.
Quote by Erock503
mid gain/ harmonics, and the EQ/on/auto switch IIRC.

Yup, honestly not much use to having them in the front anyway. Once you find the sound you want you tend to keep it there. You might change it for songs, etc. though but even then it wouldn't really matter much if it was in the front or back. *shrug* maybe it's just me.

Plus, the EQ is footswitchable anyway. The mid gain/harmonics might be with a different footswitch? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com