I'm currently installing a Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup into my guitar, and I'm kind of confused with the wiring on this baby. From what it looks like, it's a single-conductor humbucker, and I have a few questions about this:

1. Does the fact that it's a single-conductor pickup limit my les paul's knob capabilities - meaning can I still use the usual 2 volume 2 tone knobs to adjust both pickups as usual??

2. How exactly would I go about soldering this baby on. I know how to solder, I just need to know what goes where.

Also, with my other pickup that I just installed (Seymour Duncan JB), are the extra 2 wires (red & white, aside from green, bare, and black) that are taped together in the wiring diagram supposed to be exposed and contacted with each other?? Or is it just a means of keep the unnecessary wires organized and out of the way?
Thanks. But can anyone answer my first question before I solder it in?
1. single conductor wiring is perfectly fine for normal les paul knob capabilities.

the four conductor wires are used for coil splits, out of phase, series/parallel wiring and other fancy stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thanks a bunch!! Just curious, what are those other wiring things for exactly?? Just curious...
to give versatility in sound.

imo, pretty useless.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by novafx
Thanks a bunch!! Just curious, what are those other wiring things for exactly?? Just curious...
Quote by ECistheBest
the four conductor wires are used for coil splits, out of phase, series/parallel wiring and other fancy stuff.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^i think he asked "what they're for" as in what they are like.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha sorry if my wording sounded stupid. EC's right, I meant what the purpose of the other things he mentioned were for.

Oh and one more question:

In the wiring diagram above, where it shows how to solder a single-conductor humbucker, do you solder the outer shield to the area where the green and bare would go on a 4-conductor, or just any where on the back of the pot?
Last edited by novafx at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
You solder the metal braid to ground, so where ever the ground connection (sleeve) from jack is soldered to.

Well, the only wire connected to the ground of my output jack runs from the jack, through the 3-way selector switch, and back to the knobs. So I'm still unsure as to where I should ground the wire shield.
Hmm...I think I got it. Thanks for the help, though. I'll ask again if anything goes wrong.