Hi,

I am getting a guitar and amp from MusiciansFriend, and I am obviously starting from scratch. So my question is, do the necessary cables come with the guitar and amp or do you have to buy it yourself separately?
gotta buy the cables seperately, unless you get a starter pack, in that case, buy a new cable anyways
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
ok ... so one cable that goes into the amp from guitar, and one that goes into the power plug from the amp...right?
the plug in cable should come with the amp, all you need is the one from the guitar to the amp
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by FEUERFREI666
one that goes into the power plug from the amp...right?

That one usually comes with the amp.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
ok so I know what instrument cable Im getting that will connect me to my amp stack.

You said all amp-related cables are included, so is there anything else I need?
a turner and metronome are also things you could need. maybe some picks as well
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by FEUERFREI666
ok so I know what instrument cable Im getting that will connect me to my amp stack.

You said all amp-related cables are included, so is there anything else I need?

First of all you will need an instrument cable only.

The stack thing worries me. What amp were you thinking of buying???

I say this because unless you're spending money on an all tube stack (ie. at least a thousand) it is going to sounds like utter s***e. Sure for the first weeks you may like it. But as you play and develop an understanding of tone you'll become very dissapointed very quickly. Also stacks weigh a tonne and are a b**** to move.

Have you consulted the UG Gear forum for advice?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i agree.
for you first amp i think its a good idea to get a small practice amp
Turner, metronome? What?

I was thinking about getting the Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack. It's like the small MG15 only it comes as a stack (head and 2 speaker cabinets).
I basically need an amp to be able to play with a band or at least loud enough to be heard with other people playing. And possibly with a CD/mp3 and headphone jack.

I already have the picks, stand and instrument cable on the list.
Last edited by FEUERFREI666 at Feb 11, 2008,
Ok... wait a second there mate. I'm not jumping on any bandwagon here, but from what I've heard, the MGs are something more of a last resort. I'm thinking of getting an amp myself, and I would suggest a tube amp. However, they aren't always the best option if you are low on funds. Also, stack doesn't necessarily mean volume. A 15 watt solid-state is pretty quiet. Its ok if you want to play on your own, but you stated that you want to compete with a band.

"Quit the rambling Syk3d..."

Suggestions... before I changed my mind to tube, I was looking at the Vox Valvetronix series. Its a hybrid, which means that its essentially a solid-state but with some of the perks of tubes. If you look around, the Valvetronix series has a pretty good reputation. It has a nice sound quality and even models other amps, including a sound similar to the Marshalls (if you're into that sort of thing).

Also, eBay. eBay. eBay. They have some good deals (even though I'm from down under and our eBay sucks) on some good amps. Maybe look for a Blues Jr or Peavey Classic? They can be expensive, but you don't want to be buying a better amp in the near future. My advice (if you are thinking of a cheapie-deapie) is to save a bit and get something worthwhile.

By the way, for future reference, when you ask for advice on amps, give a price range and the style of music that you wish to play. It helps people to find more specific amps that fit your needs.

Happy shopping
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
NO, NO...ERM...NO Do not buy any of the marshall MG series.

They are poor quality amps with nothing more than bad tone.

The mg15 stack is a real waste of money and wouldn't be loud enough to play with a good drummer.

If you do buy a marshall MG you'll be happy with it for say 2-3 months then you will understand how bad the tone is.

There are two options you have:

1) Buy a good solid state amp, say a vox valvetronix or a Roland Cube
2) Buy a 5watt tube amp (Grainger valve five, Valve Junior etc) <- these may only be 5 watts but will be far louder and better tonaly than any ss amp.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
ok I will go up to 200$...and I will play mostly stuff like Megadeth, Slayer and Rammstein. Maybe some punk rock too but thats secondary.
You might want to check something like this out for that kind of music..

Roland Cube 20X

..of course there are other options, so pick the one you think will suit you best.
i would suggest just getting some starter pack just to see if you can stick with guitar.

1st learn how to play, then if you like guitar and all then get the amp.

why waist a Sh*t load of money if you're not sure what your doing?

-it just seems like your going in blind.

-get some cheap beg. combo pack. The guitar probably won't be the greatest, and may not stay in tune the best, but when i started...i didnt know that the hell "In tune" was. I was clueless. Not to mention you can break stuff when you dont know what your doing.

-well thats my advice...from someone who worked in a music store..