Which of these two guitars is better quality? e. Builg.d, Hardware etc.

The new 1959 Reissue Gibson Melody Maker

OR

Fender Mexican Telecaster

I'm considering one of these two as my next purchase once I sell my Les Paul, but I'm not sure a USA made Gibson is going to be much cop when it's £300, but I like the vibe of it.
well i just got an MIM tele, and it's awesome. Mexi quality gets bashed, but mine is great. I don't know anything about the melody maker, but I know you won't be disapointed with the mim tele!
Depends on what you want to play, and more importantly, persoanal preference about look, feel, and sound.
I have yet to play one of the reissued Melody Makers that I'd be comfortable suggesting anybody spend any amount of money on.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I play lot of bluesy stuff. Most styles of rock - I'm really into the AC/DC rhythm sound right now- indie, reggae... I supposae I'll try my hand at anything really but I'm not much into metal. It's not really a case of the sound but the quality of the guitar, as I know what kind of sound I'm after. I already play a Squier Tele and I really like the kind of tone that Tele's produce and I'm well into the workhorse vibe that goes along with them, and the Melody Maker seems like it's in the same vein, but a lot of people have said in the past that both have quality control issues.
I say go with the Tele. Considering lower-end Gibson's aren't exactly the best, and considering this is THE lowest-end Gibson, I'd go with the Tele. Fender has pretty good quality control for the MIM models, nothing to say about the Gibson though.
Hard to say. Harmony-Central seems to think the Melody Maker is quite decent, and I know personally the MIM Tele is quite good.

Try them both if you can, but if you can't, the Tele seems like the safer option.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Take harmony central reviews with a big heaping bowl of salt. Those people will 10 anything.

Get the Telecaster, they are very good guitars and plus... IT'S A TELE. Gibson quality control is kinda **** too.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Take harmony central reviews with a big heaping bowl of salt. Those people will 10 anything.

Get the Telecaster, they are very good guitars and plus... IT'S A TELE. Gibson quality control is kinda **** too.

Well, they seem more reliable than the sites that sell the guitars, at least.....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Well, they seem more reliable than the sites that sell the guitars, at least.....

It's usually just better to read what they wrote about the guitar than look at their ratings and still take it with some salt.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
I was edging for the Tele out of these two I think, so thats confirmed it. I'm just trying to narrow down my options on my next guitar.

Cheers!
Dunno, never really tried the standard, since it was out of my price range when I was looking at guitars and stuff.

It's still a very decent guitar, though. Mine's very nicely made for the price, very sturdy. Tuners are excellent, although not as precise as they could be, they hold tune very well. pickups are fair, you might want to replace them though. only thing I really complain about is the pickup selector, I've had the neck pickup die before because of it.....get a new switch put in, there shouldn't be a problem.

Dunno how much of an improvement it'd be over your other two without new pickups, though it might last you longer......oooh, you've got a LP Jr.....

It's usually just better to read what they wrote about the guitar than look at their ratings and still take it with some salt.

Honestly, I never look at the numerical ratings. Just what they write. I'm interested in the specifics of the instrument/amp/whatever they're going on about.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Feb 11, 2008,
I don't know why anyone would want a melody maker, pretty pointless. Gibson's quality has been suffering enough in their thousand dollar guitars, let alone one for £300. Get the tele.