Ok so I got a LTD KH-602 with active emgs, floyd rose and the whole shebang (its a Kirk Hammett signiture) and a 15watt SS crate amp and use a Line 6 POD 2.0 to boost it a bit while jamming.

Problem is, when im playing through the built in over drive of the Crate amp it sounds fine, and same goes for playing straight through the pod (with headphones). Its just when I hook the pod up to the crate (on the clean channel of course) that the sound gets all clunky and the tone is messy.

I'm suspecting the pickups because my buddy often tries to steal a couple of minutes on my setup with his Mexican Stratocaster (dimazario pups i think) and his sound comes out nice and clear as opposed to whatever the hell mine is packing.

I've tried most of the tricks that you can do with active pickups like lowering the treble, or lowering the drive and cranking the volume but the sound is still messy. Is there some way I can clean the sound up a bit until I find a way to buy my soul-amp, a marshall JCM 800 (goodluck, I know)

PS: I mostly play Hard Rock and Thrash/Power Metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest for metal) as do the guys I jam with

With much luv, Superstrat
I kinda doubt it's the pickups. The EMGs don't sound their best on SS amps, but they won't make it sound worse. I suspect the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the amp is the problem, you're pretty much using 3 preamps at once (emg, pod, and amp)

if the crate has some sort of line in that bypasses the preamp (maybe a mp3 input or something) it will sound better through that. otherwise, just save up for a better amp
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
you could try turning down the output on the pod. 'cause it could be clipping the preamp on your amp
you gotta realize that there's more to your sound than your guitar. if you play a vintage '59 les paul standard through that amp, it's not gonna sound much different from an epi les paul.

new amp time
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^^ yeah im aware. I just havn't been able to afford much. I got the KH dirt cheap off of my cousin since he was going to university and didn't have time for it anymore. He dreaded the though of me playing a squier too. I got the crate amp pretty cheap from one of the guys my dad works with, I love used gear lol.

Overall, I think I spent 900$ on my stuff. Pretty good for a paper-boy I'd say.

Anyway, I was also thinking of building some speakers to put the amp through (the amp has a headphone output) so I'd only be using the 2 pre-amps from the Pod and EMGs. Do you guys think that would work out?

Thnx so far guys
nah, i don't think it'd really sound too hot. it'd be way more worthwhile to put your money towards a good new/used amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008