I have the SoundBlaster X-Fi. This is terrible for making music.

It lags miserably behind when I hit a key from my musical keyboard to the computer. It won't let me play back more than 33khz sampling, so when I listen to it in cubase, it sounds unlike the finished product. And to top it off, I can only export in 128k/s MAX bit rate.

All I ask is that someone tells me the name of their card, that, when you hit the MIDI button to go in, you quickly hear it go through the VST and it sounds nice. You can export at 360k, but you know at this point, I guess 192k/s would be just fine with me.

I don't need to record instruments, but I do need to record my voice.

Save me from this nightmare, I want this card to be my FINAL purchase I need.
www.monbre.com - a browser-based game that doesn't suck. (as much as others)
Soundblaster Live is pretty good, ive got a fairly old one in my pc but its still kick ass, perhaps you could also look into the sound blaster audigy series aswell, just check their website man
I'm nearly through with all that is Creative, they CONTINUOSLY disappoint me. Someone threw a grenade in DoD and my buffer or something on the sound card flipped out, and I had to epic restart like 3 times to get it to work. I had an audigy before and it wouldn't do music, and someone said I should get an X-Fi because it worked "great" for them. Now I have a ****ty card and I'm grr angry.
Quote by Spenc0rz
I have the SoundBlaster X-Fi. This is terrible for making music.

It lags miserably behind when I hit a key from my musical keyboard to the computer. It won't let me play back more than 33khz sampling, so when I listen to it in cubase, it sounds unlike the finished product. And to top it off, I can only export in 128k/s MAX bit rate.

All I ask is that someone tells me the name of their card, that, when you hit the MIDI button to go in, you quickly hear it go through the VST and it sounds nice. You can export at 360k, but you know at this point, I guess 192k/s would be just fine with me.

I don't need to record instruments, but I do need to record my voice.

Save me from this nightmare, I want this card to be my FINAL purchase I need.

The card's meant for gaming. And the Live would be a serious downgrade from that. In any case, you want something with MIDI capabilities. I'd recommend M Audio's Audiophile collection. Decide whether you want RCA or 1/4 I/O. The latter will have a 192KHz export rate, at 24-bits. What speakers are you using now?
Eh, "insignia"? I don't really remember, but they're clear speakers. I can hear lots of things, I think. Oo;

I'm looking at m-audio now, but I already have a MIDI connector, I guess it's... external? I only need one port, it's 1x1, and it seems to work fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829121120

It looks wonderful, and like exactly what I would need. I guess it's just the fact that I feel like I just wasted a good $120 on buying what I thought was a good sound card and what I actually did need, a MIDI connector. :x
The 2496 is a great card to start on but it doesnt have any peramps so you will have to run a small mixer into it.

Any SB card is for gaming and will have latency...they were not ment to be a recording interface.

For that mixer I suggest some type of Tapco over the Behringer....the Yamaha MG line is also a nice step up from the Tapco.
So I'm going to get...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829121120

because the other card didn't have good MIDI reviews.

I guess this card would be pretty much just what I need, then. I guess I really don't mind that I wasted 35 bucks on a connector, after all. =/ I think this will be good because it has connectors already on it; like it's made for music.

Edit:

Uhm, this one has only RCA stuff, I guess? So I'd just... install this one normally, right? And then I'd just use this for MIDI input, and the card I have now for mic-recording and listening to music/games?
Last edited by Spenc0rz at Feb 11, 2008,
M audio is good. You won't be disappointed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i have that one
i run mics into a mixer
the mixer has tape in and outs (phono jacks)
so i use the outs to my computer to record
and then ins come back from my computer to the board so i can listen to prerecorded track thought the phones
i really like my setup
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236
that's the mixer i have
Thanks folks, I've now ordered it. Though, I don't use a mixer. I just use VSTs and Cubase.