So, I'm in the process of writing my first song, and I figure I'll make use of these indian "thats" that I found online. Thing is, need some help transposing them. or something.

Basically, I need someone to put the attached scales into D minor, or the nearest equivalent. I apologize ahead of time if this is ridiculously easy and I'm just being thick about it.

Help is appreciated.
Attachments:
Indian Raga thats.png
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Most of those are just diatonic modes, and a lot of them aren't even minor in tonality, which means they certainly can't be played in D minor. You need to focus on learning the theory behind the major scale before you even think of writing a song with those scales, otherwise you won't even know how to use them. Read the theory sticky.

Asavari = Aeolian/Minor
Bilawal = Ionian/Major
Bhairavi = Phrygian
Kafi = Dorian
Kalyan = Lydian
Khamaj = Mixolydian
Marva = Lydian b2 (mode of harmonic minor)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 10, 2008,
Well, yeah, figured it'd be above my current level of understanding.....damn, modes coming up again....

Still, uh, theoretically, which could be effectively used in the key of D minor?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Well, yeah, figured it'd be above my current level of understanding.....damn, modes coming up again....

Still, uh, theoretically, which could be effectively used in the key of D minor?

Modal music is different from key based music. If the song is in D minor, use D minor.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
so "modal" music would be music that isn't a chord progression repeating itsself, like jazz or classical music?
Ah, fair point, Indian music is often played over a single drone note....guess it wouldn't work the same way at all....

Still, uh, know of any scales that would give me a sort of indian flavor?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay