Poll: What kind of drumming is more technical / harder
Poll Options
View poll results: What kind of drumming is more technical / harder
Jazz drumming
42 72%
Metal drumming
16 28%
Voters: 58.
Me and my friend are talking about metal and jazz drumming. He thinks that metal drumming is harder (its faster) than jazz drumming. I say that jazz drumming, as anything else jazz, is friggin hard to play. I say that jazz drumming is harder because it just requires a much broader range of notes, meaning they dont always play standard 16ths or something.

Also, my friend thinks that metal drumming is harder because the kit is bigger
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Jazz on any instrument is harder than other genres. Jazz guitarists are probably some of the most talented musicians around.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Depends on the song. Some metal is hard as sh*t!

edit: but I voted jazz, 'cause it requires so much more technical ability. Most metal just involves banging on the drums as hard as you can.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Feb 10, 2008,
Jazz. Just look at Max Roach.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
As a generalization, probably Jazz.
However, metal does have people like George Kollias and Marco Minneman, who are f*cking incredible, and play some of the most technical stuff I've heard.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I KNOW that Minneman is really a salsa drummer, and knows a f*ckload about jazz drumming.
Last edited by synpet713192 at Feb 10, 2008,
Although I am a total metalhead I must admit that jazz drumming is freaking insane. Better than metal drummers. However, I do not agree that other jazz instrument...stuff is harder. Metal guitarists are some of the best guitarists in the world.(In my opinion obviously)
It all depends on the player man. Metal drumming can be very simple or hard, as with jazz. You could just play a very standard swing beat or a very rapid bebop pattern. Neither is set in stone as harder or easier
IMO I think people think jazz=talent. It's just not true, a lot of jazz players are complete crap! True jazz drummers need more awareness of what other people are playing and more of an understanding of how music is arranged, not to mention that mistakes in timing will definitely be noticed, however! a lot of metal drummers are pushing things to extremes. I've always thought that metal is a proving ground to bring things(including jazz discipline) to a heightened level of technical playing. So in my vote? a very close draw.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Actually metal drumming in itself is heavily influenced by jazz. Look up blast beats.

Besides that, neither is a valid choice because both have their stand outs.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Jazz all the way.
Metal drumming may look hard but it's not that hard. I have a drummer friend that drums for 3 years, and he can drum really hard metal songs like "Judas Priest - Painkiller".
But jazz is another thing. Jazz isn't about speed. Jazz is about coordination, and that is a way harder thing to archive.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Almost definitely jazz...it's total improvisation FFS.

But that definitely doesn't mean that the skill of metal drummers should be belittled. Guys like Flo Mournier, Mike Portnoy, George Kolias are all rediculously good by anyone's standards.

And as for bridges between the two genres? Marco Minneman in Necrophagist, anyone? A full-out jazz drummer in a full-out technical death metal band?

...oh man the new album is going to be awesome.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Feb 10, 2008,
definitely jazz drumming. definitely. This is assuming your jazz drummer knows what he's doing anyways. If he's just keeping straight time, then no, but if he's good, jazz is way harder. A good jazz drummer will keep good time while playing the rhythym of the trumpets or sax or whatever is lead. The drummer should do things like accent their accents and give them something to follow time with.
Metal isn't musically difficult, you just need to be fast. And I don't care how many youtube videos you post, you won't change my mind.
Quote by rush5757
definitely jazz drumming. definitely. This is assuming your jazz drummer knows what he's doing anyways. If he's just keeping straight time, then no, but if he's good, jazz is way harder. A good jazz drummer will keep good time while playing the rhythym of the trumpets or sax or whatever is lead. The drummer should do things like accent their accents and give them something to follow time with.
Metal isn't musically difficult, you just need to be fast. And I don't care how many youtube videos you post, you won't change my mind.

Accent their accents? But that...that's preposterous!
both certainly take skill, but I'd say jazz is a harder because it requires a much wider range of dynamics and notes. Listen to some of the bebop from the 50s, alot of it is equally as fast as any metal. We're talking like 200+ beats per minute, swinging super hard.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by rush5757

...Why do I even bother with this website anymore?

"LOL IM JUST GONNA COVER MY EARS BECUZ I DUNT WANNA BE RONG LOL GUISE AM I DOIN IT RITE?"
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
You can't measure that, neither ones harder, neither ones easier. Debates like that are stupid. Thats like saying drums are harder than guitar or vice versa, there's no way to measure.
I picked metal but I change my mind... Jazz because I remember this one Jazz drummers solo that was insane... And many of the drummers that influenced Neil Peart and Lars Ulrich were Jazz drummers and dont forget that Gar Samuelson of Megadeth played Jazz before Megadeth.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
It definately depends on what metal your talking about. Death metal drumming such as Nile or Behemoth is some of the most technical stuff you will ever hear on the other hand metallica's drumming is rather simple and jazz drumming beats it anyday. You can't generalize them so narrowly, and of course theres always the factor of 'opnion'. To each his own.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
when playing at a very technical level both require a lot of skill

it's impossible to say which one is harder
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
...Why do I even bother with this website anymore?

"LOL IM JUST GONNA COVER MY EARS BECUZ I DUNT WANNA BE RONG LOL GUISE AM I DOIN IT RITE?"

I said that because I was expecting people to post some metal drummer doing double bass really fast in a counter argument.
And how can I be "RONG" if it's my opinion?
Even though jass drumming is harder you have to admit that those double bass pedal can get damn tiring.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
People are forgetting that 95% of jazz is improvisation...that includes drumming. Stuff is ridiculous....the amount of knowledge of musical theory and technical virtuosity that goes into jazz is insane.

I'm not saying that the kind of metal we're comparing to jazz isn't theory-grounded and isn't technical, because it is...very. But the fact that jazz musicians can do it on improvisation is...gahhhhhhhhh. Craaaaaazy maaaaaaan.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
And how can I be "RONG" if it's my opinion?

"All black people are robbers and thieves and should be locked up and never allowed out on the streets. White people are all racist assholes. Asians have tiny penises and work at hair salons. All Mexicans are lazy, smelly scum. I can't be wrong, its my opinion."
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
anyone know a good jazz video?
I wanna see how good these guys really are. I mean a full band or song, not just drums.
not to be a dick, but the hardest thing about jazz for the drummer is to keep awake.
maybe im not that deep into jazz but most of the jazz that ive heard is slow kick, kick, snare, rinse, repeat, drum fill, ect.

unless of course im confusing jazz with the blues

along with what people say about the jazz drummers, there are some good metal drummers (Nicko Brian - Iron Maiden and the dude from slipknot) and some bad drummers (listen.)

Anyway, im going with jazz
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
"All black people are robbers and thieves and should be locked up and never allowed out on the streets. White people are all racist assholes. Asians have tiny penises and work at hair salons. All Mexicans are lazy, smelly scum. I can't be wrong, its my opinion."

no, you're just an idiot racist.
while i love me my death metal, i do believe jazz is harder. i also believe jazz and death metal are somehow related when it comes to death metal's evolution.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
I can't really say. But I will say that I find Metal drumming horribly annoying, and I love the way Jazz displays any instrument I've heard in the genre.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
no, you're just an idiot racist.

Look at the context I was saying it, you fool.

I'm drawing a parallel to his quote by saying things that are obviously untrue and then saying that I can't be wrong because they are just my opinion.

DERP DERP.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS