So I'm probably going to restring my lp tomorrow and its a 1990 studio with a standard stopbar and tune o matic. I thought for a change of pace and a vintage look I'd string it wraparound style like the old gibsons. I know its rumored to bring more sustain but I'm just wondering if anyone else does this and will it create any unforseen problems I can't think of? I think it'll create a nice surface to rest my hand on (that's what she said).
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
The main thing it does is lessen the string tension, so bending and vibrato will be somewhat easier.
Well fantastic. Dispreferred it looks like the stoptail in this pick http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/LPJRSCVOVSNH1.JPG when you wraparound notice the strings rest on top of the stoptail. Gibson had to string them this way before they made the tune o matic style guitars.

Oh and Page strung his guitars this way, right whole lotta love (led) ?
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Quote by Deathcabforpat
Oh and Page strung his guitars this way, right whole lotta love (led) ?

For a short while, yeah. He quit doing it around '71... oddly enough he became quite associated with it.
So just an update, I did this today and am very pleased with the results. Slight reduction in string tension and significantly better sustain. I'd very much recommend doing this. Plus it looks vintage cool.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
hey woah what exactly are we talkin about? is it just putting the strings therough the bridge backwards and around the bridge? cuz i have a les paul too.... hmmmm...
mayb ill try it ;]

EDIT: ohhh never mind i get it haha sweet... totally doin this
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Yeah I did consider the sustain was due to the new strings too but even so it does seem a little better than the normal way w/ new strings. My theory is that there is too much of an angle between the stopbar and the tuneomatic the normal way and wrapping alleviates that. Also there is increased force pushing down on the stoptail making it anchored down tighter to increase sustain. And yes any lp can do this.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Funny becuase the PRS Customs with a hardtail are strung the wraparound method....naturally. There are even grooves in the tailpeice for the string to sit inside...pretty cool huh? Everyone should have a PRS =)

Below is a pic of my old Custom 22 with a wraparound...
Attachments:
IMG_1432.JPG
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by voodoochildsr22 at Feb 11, 2008,
I tried it and found not much of a difference, though I could have swore I got better harmonics. The only thing is that the strings would kinda slip sideways on the stop bar so it made the tuning slightly off if you didn't watch it. Plus the part near the ball end where the string is wrapped double stuck out a bit and bent against it so maybe that was where the tuning issue was. I read some peoplecut off the ball ends of their last set they are taking off (before doing this) and put the old balls on the new string to eliminate that. I'm not good at explaining but I can't find a pic of what I mean either
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab