Page 1 of 2
A few days ago, I posted a thread, about publicity photos. In that thread, I had the idea to take my band to an abandoned mall. And I wondered to myself, if it was illegal.

The short answer yes, but awesome anyway.

The long answer.

1:00 PM - Bassist and I run over a few songs, We're ecstatic about getting some badass pictures. We sit around the house for an hour, then go pick up the photographer.

2:00 PM - The rest of the band arrives, We grab the cameras and tripods, and pile into our two car caravan and head out toward the mall.

2:15 PM - We arrive in the parking lot, and walk around, checking for any warning no trespassing signs, and or any means of indication we should NOT go inside.
We find that one of the smaller entrances is wide open, and decide to go inside.
Upon entry, we performed some cleanup.

Did a little shopping.

And generally enjoyed having free reign of a 30000 square foot facility.

3:00 PM - After careful analysis, we determine we are in no danger, by counting the number of spray painted hate slogans on the floor and wall, Gems like "Mexico eats ****" and "Allen pottery shed is for Cracker bitchs", and my favorite "**** off whitey, your a pussy bitch". We wander a bit more, till we get to the center of the mall, and discover the nastiest water known to man.

And try to kick someone in.

3:30 PM - after fooling around a little longer, we wander past the remnants of a department store. But whats special about this department store you ask? All malls have department stores?
This department store was empty, Dark, and had a solitary beam of light showing onto its floor. W
We saw the potential for an epic picture, and epic it was.

3:45 PM - We vacate the mall,

and take a few more snapshots outside by the graffiti and the ONLY fence there.

Soon after, A single Allen police cruiser rolls by slowly, and around the corner. We decide our best course of action is to pack up, non chalantly, and leave, because as far as we know, we've done nothing really illegal at all.

So it turns out, there used to be trespassing signs.
Our photographer is balling her eyes out, we're all pretty damn nervous, and the officer is either waiting for more cars to take us off to god knows where, or he's trying to scare the **** out of us.

To make a long story short, its the latter. After checking to see that we have no criminal records, he warns us that the signs were stolen, as well as the fence torn apart and carried away apparently, and that technically it was criminal trespassing, but he wasnt going to do anything because we really didn't hurt anything, anyone, or know that we really were doing anything wrong.

So I breathe a sigh of relief.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
kweell
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by metalcore123
pics or it didnt happe...oh. nice.

lol
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Ah. The mercury poisoning. I forgot that.

Another officer also felt the need to inform us that it was infact, a HAZMAT zone, and thats why we should never come back. That it was contaminated with extreme levels of mercury, enough to kill us.

So I phoned colin counties administrative all purpose offices, pretending I was an interested buisnessman, apt on acquiring the building to install a thriving new shopping center, but was concerned about the status of repair, and any dangers within?

Apparently its in "Moderate condition, and contains absolutely no threat, danger, or even signs of such."

You tell me if thats a good description : P.

Further proof available on request?
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x

Last edited by Zach_F at Feb 10, 2008,
Hah. You've never heard anything about our music, so should you know what we'd rather do?

Besides posting random video's of ourselves is a bannable offense isnt it?

If you'd like, I can post some of our singers recordings, We have nothing professional done in a studio yet, But 16 hours is booked in two weeks, Your welcome to check back.

And by the way, What have you done? Your profile suggests little.

Im fairly sure that posting an entertaining story, not related directly to our music, is not some form of sin.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by Zach_F
Hah. You've never heard anything about our music, so should you know what we'd rather do?

Judging by the photo, you look like any other generic band.

Quote by Zach_F

And by the way, What have you done? Your profile suggests little.

I don't do stuff for awards or recognition.
We dont do it for awards or recognition.
Most people call it accomplishment. : ).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=319404064&MyToken=0db99fef-9427-444e-867a-c54685dec9a7

^^ You'll find that its much more impressive than any random set of teenagers.

Metallica looks like a bunch of guys with long hair and black t shirts too. Lets not go there.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Last edited by Zach_F at Feb 11, 2008,
Unless you know you've done something wrong, cops are usually just trying to scare you

Magicedit:
Quote by Zach_F
We dont do it for awards or recognition.
Most people call it accomplishment. : ).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=319404064&MyToken=0db99fef-9427-444e-867a-c54685dec9a7

^^ You'll find that its much more impressive than any random set of teenagers.

Metallica looks like a bunch of guys with long hair and black t shirts too. Lets not go there.

I'm not a fan of your voice, but you are a good musician and songwriter, don't let people say you're not
Last edited by stringmagician at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by stringmagician
Unless you know you've done something wrong, cops are usually just trying to scare you

So we were warned : ).
Our drummers parents both work with them, Its not so much that we were scared of getting hauled off to juvenile haul for the rest of the year or something, Rather what our families would say/do. We're all usually just average, respectable students, etc, No criminal records or anything, so I had a sneaking suspicion we'd end up fine anyway.

Either way, Definetly a buzz kill when you just got done having a good time.

Not my voice. Thats our Vocalist. The tall statuesque guy without the fro, in the white tshirt.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by Zach_F
So we were warned : ).
Our drummers parents both work with them, Its not so much that we were scared of getting hauled off to juvenile haul for the rest of the year or something, Rather what our families would say/do. We're all usually just average, respectable students, etc, No criminal records or anything, so I had a sneaking suspicion we'd end up fine anyway.

Either way, Definetly a buzz kill when you just got done having a good time.

That's the police for you

unfortunately, the law and modern society associate fun with illegal, and half the time they're right, especially with teenagers

Magicedit AGAIN:

and your band's track was good, but it was recorded horribly

and that's not your voice in the acoustic thing?
Last edited by stringmagician at Feb 11, 2008,
Yea, Its more then fair enough.

I harbor no animosity, they were frankly more then fair about it. Seeing as the floor was covered in beer bottles in half of the area's, and the entire place smelled like mold and marijuana, they had more than enough reason to suspect we were up to no good.

Im just glad that when they saw we werent they didnt freak out and insist we might have been or were anyway.

Thanks on the writing compliment. We know it blows terribly. It's up there so the drummer can get the structure of the song down, and was up originally so our vocalist could pen some lyrics to it while he was out of town.
We've got 16 hours of recording time, and the subsequent mastering booked out towards the end of this month.

Not my voice at all. I write the music, and play the guitar and little bits of other things in the band. My voice is pretty low, and I dont particularly like screaming, or hardcore music, so I only do small amounts of singing, for kicks and giggles really, if baritone/bass guy singers came back into style, I'd be all set to go though.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

the photographer wasn't great, as none of those pictures looked like they would go well on an album cover or anything. they're all exposed so they look completely ordinary. no cool lenses or lighting.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
the photographer wasn't great, as none of those pictures looked like they would go well on an album cover or anything. they're all exposed so they look completely ordinary. no cool lenses or lighting.

I agree with this, your photographer totally blows, I just wasn't gunna mention it
Haha.

Its cool : P.

Feel free to be as harsh as you want.
The first time she blamed it on her camera. This time she says she didnt know how to work the new camera, So I think she's got one more chance, to figure out the new camera, and if they arent good this time, we'll find a new photographer : P.

As for cool lenses, Im completely daft as to what to look for?
Suggestions?
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

she didn't even need to buy lenses, she could have just done something with the aperture, or something, making it lighter or darker, or slowing the shutter speed down to make it kinda blurry or something. it just looks like she was trying to make it look as clear and bright as possible, which was dumb because it just made it look like a run of the mill photograph. album covers don't want to let people see what was really going on (a bunch of guys just standing together in a crappy building), but make them see something surreal. that's where unnatural lighting comes in. just make sure next time she takes some photos that she takes the same ones over and over with a bunch of different settings.
all you really needed was a little lighting and yeah, she apparently doesn't know what the **** ISO is lol. that sounds like a good time tho. even with the cops giving you ****. if brought in front of a judge, nothin woulda happened anyway.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
K.

So not even the column of light one : P?

I'll let her know next time, see what happens, and if there's some sort of ridiculous adventure that goes along with it, I'll be sure to make it into a picture esque story as well, and post it up.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

what was she using for a camera? hopefully an SLR and not some point-and-shoot. just tell her - like the other dude said - to take a ton of the same photo with different settings, and you guys will have to hold you A.D.D. and not move for a couple minutes.

my band just took photos the other night. still haven't seen most of them, but some that she let us see were pretty epic because she DID do those things.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Fair enough.

It was a Rebel, So they should have been clear. Some of them were amazingly clear, but I didnt see her mess with any settings at all, so I suppose thats it.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by Zach_F
Fair enough.

It was a Rebel, So they should have been clear. Some of them were amazingly clear, but I didnt see her mess with any settings at all, so I suppose thats it.

Those were shot with a Canon Rebel? Goddamnit, this has always ticked me off. I take better photos with my 4 year old point and shoot and this girl has a $500+ DSLR camera.
Hah.

Its not her camera : P, Its my family's camera. My mom does photography professionally, but she refuses to shoot my band.

It was also shot with a 1200 dollar lense and flash : /.

Apparently she left it on manual focus the entire time.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Nah, I mean she left it in the same manual focus setting the whole time. Atleast, Im pretty sure
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

well if it was on a manual setting

1. she couldn't blame the shots on the camera just focusing to make the shots look completely focused and boring.

2. the shots shouldn't have looked as focused as they were.

eh, it doesn't matter anyway, the focusing wasn't the problem
True enough man.

Im going to fool around with it tommorow, and see if I can get some good effects out of it, so I can teach her how.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. I'll put up the next set of shots so I can get some more feedback.

Any ideas that dont involve me getting arrested to top that last one?
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

what's the outside of the mall look like? if it looks like it does inside, all post-apocalyptic and whatnot, you could do some stuff that looked like you guys were wandering around in a completely wasted landscape, hopefully on a sunny day. get some shots of you guys picking crap up and examining the horrible situation you're in.

kinda like a rip off of the RHCP scar tissue music video. oh, and definitely fool around with the aperture to figure out the right light mixture. just try all the aperture settings and ISO settings and stuff.

oh, and definitely see what a darker picture would look like if it's sunny. that's probably what'll end up looking good.
i think he meant the water that looked gross probably had mercury in it.

waters that have been used for demonstrations of the horrible effects of mercury on ecosystems and stuff have looked like that, with dead fish floating in them.
most people would have gotten the reference, with the whole 'mercury in our waters' thing that's been going on over the past few years.
I just had a gander at your myspace

it's good

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Dude.

I explained it on the first page.

The cops told us there was Lethal Mercury levels.

The County administrators, and the fact that it's been left in a "HAZMAT" condition for 20 years, makes me think other wise.

And Mercury poisoning is a cumulative poisoning, something you have to directly absorb for weeks or months, not an hour.

I'd love to take the for that myspace, unfortunetly its not me, its the singer from the bands acoustic stuff, from before he joined us.

My band does a version of still standing, and I may sing a little bit of backup eventually, but Im definetly the guitar player : P.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Quote by Zach_F

And try to kick someone in.

This picture had great potential for Sparta.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Haha.

Black The Clash Tshirt.

In the center in the picture above.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

PM me, or just say # x

Page 1 of 2