I have the opportunity to get a JCM600 60 watt combo in great condition. How would this sound for metal? Would it sound at all like a jcm800? I currently have a vox ad30vt. would this be an upgrade? Also, I am using a guitar with emg pickups. Would they sound good in this particular amp?

I would be primarily playing various heavy metal styles- Thrash metal mostly
What are the good and bad things about this amp?
Last edited by wasteofspace at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by wasteofspace
So you dont think it has enough gain? How would the emgs sound in it?

Good, a Tube amp will be boosted by the EMG's, with an Overdrive I bet you could get a good Zakk Wylde tone.

You definatley need an OD for metal. An MXR Distortion + would give you a good RR tone if thats your thing
^the tone I am really looking for is a Children of bodom tone, and, judjing by your avatar, you might be a good person to ask. What would you use in conjunction with this amp to approximate their tone?

How much of a step up would this be from my vox?
Quote by FRDesign
Good, a Tube amp will be boosted by the EMG's, with an Overdrive I bet you could get a good Zakk Wylde tone.

You definatley need an OD for metal. An MXR Distortion + would give you a good RR tone if thats your thing

that pedal isnt an OD though its a distortion pedal. it would be good for RR tones but to get an overdriven amp tone a tubescreamer or something would be a better bet
Quote by Diamond Dave
that pedal isnt an OD though its a distortion pedal. it would be good for RR tones but to get an overdriven amp tone a tubescreamer or something would be a better bet
The Distortion+ is actually an OD.

It was named wrong, RR used it as a boost on a 1959SLP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXR_Distortion%2B
Quote by wasteofspace
^the tone I am really looking for is a Children of bodom tone, and, judjing by your avatar, you might be a good person to ask. What would you use in conjunction with this amp to approximate their tone?

Its a big step up from your Vox, but i don't think it will do Bodom. You would need a OD biased to have scooped mids, and mabye an EQ pedal.
Quote by wasteofspace
What would you use to get a Children of bodom tone?
A different amp. A Peavey 5150/6505 would do it.

Alexi uses Lee Jackson Pre-Amps, VHT Power amps, and Marshall JCM900 cabs.

EDIT:

Alexi has been seem to be using Marshall JCM2000's/ DSL, TSL amps on recent live stuff and in the recording of Bloodrunk.
Last edited by FRDesign at Feb 11, 2008,
what tones could I get with The JCM? Metallica?
Quote by wasteofspace
what tones could I get with The JCM? Metallica?
Most Classic Rock, Thrash Metal, 80's Shred and Glam, 80's Hair Metal. Metallica and Megadeth and Trivium would work good too.

Almost anything except for some newer Metal.
I own a JCM 800. It can do even death metal with a BOSS SD-1 overdrive. I play thrash/death in the lines of Slayer, Death etc. It can do that easily. I boost the bass with an MXR 10 band EQ to get the heavy palm muting chugga kind of sound.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Quote by wasteofspace

Quote by FRDesign
Its a big step up from your Vox, but i don't think it will do Bodom. You would need a OD biased to have scooped mids, and mabye an EQ pedal.

Quote by FRDesign
A different amp. A Peavey 5150/6505 would do it.

Alexi uses Lee Jackson Pre-Amps, VHT Power amps, and Marshall JCM900 cabs.

EDIT:

Alexi has been seem to be using Marshall JCM2000's/ DSL, TSL amps on recent live stuff and in the recording of Bloodrunk.

Alexi uses JCM900 4100's when he is doing workshops and recording. Lots of videos with him playing with one of those behind him on YouTube. That's actually the reason why I bought my JCM900. Was a HUGE COB freak a year ago. Don't regret my decision now, but the amp doesn't exactly do what I want it to now that I have moved on past the whole metal phase.

Think about your decision TS, don't just get an amp to sound like someone else. Get an amp that you love the sound of, so you can create your own sound.
High as tits
I just called the guy that is selling it, and he said it was only 2 years old. Does this matter?
Right now it has 2x Svetlana EL34 power tubes, and 4x ECC83 [12 AX7] pre-amp tubes. Should I change these tubes out to get a better metal tone? If so, what should I replace them with? What else could I do to make it more 'metal'?