For those who hate reading, check the end of the wall of text.

Alright, I need suggestions for a guitar and amplifier with a total cost of around $2000 NZD.

I either need something that is easy to maintain and hard to break, or something that sounds decent enough to be worth the hassle of looking after it.

I was, like many will suggest, thinking of tube amps, but they're very expensive to buy and repair, and are quite likely to get broken unless I monitor who uses them very very carefully.

Solid State would probably be a good idea in terms of staying in working condition for a while, but I'd want a decent sounding one if I were to head down that road, and it would have to cover many styles (like the VOXes, for example)

As for the guitar, it has to be decent, both in build and sound quality, and again it's going to be used for many styles.

So. For all you people who hate reading -

I need a versatile guitar and amp combination for around $2000 NZD. The amp must be either hard to break and decent sounding, or delicate and brilliant sounding. Same goes for the guitar, really.

Styles?Jazz, Blues, Rock, Emo, Metal, and whatever else. So basically, a decent clean channel, with a distortion channel that goes anywhere from light to brutal.

Both must be gig worthy, exam performance worthy.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Last edited by 8footsativaist at Feb 11, 2008,
Go ibanez...
Marshall amps?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
man someones gave you the wrong idea about tube amps. They do stay in perfect shape for a long time. Your tubes can last a long time man. Like years. Trust me don't base it on that.
I understand the fact that tubes last many years. But it's going to be used in a school environment, and despite the fact it'll be used by a class of seniors, they aren't likely to know how to use a tube amp properly. Unless, I spend hours teaching everyone how to use the tube amp, and making sure they understand, it'll end up switched on, moved, kicked, blown up.

But then again, if there's an amp that would be worth that kind of care in sound quality and versatility, I'd be willing to give it a look.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
$2000 NZD = £800 = $1600US.

For that, you probably aren't going to get a very reliable amp AND guitar. So I would say stick with SS for now.
Guitars to look at:
Fender (HSS strat would do you well)
PRS SE (on the limit of half (ish) your budget but oh so sexy)

Amps:
Roland Cube
VOX VT series (look into the XL models for more high gain set shizzle)

There's probably alot more stuff but those are the initial things that come to mind.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Try a line 6 vetta. Now as much as people bash the spiders, the flextones and vettas are very nice amps.

Now what you said about tube amps being expensive to repair, yes they are kind of, but if an SS amp breaks, you will probably have to buy a whole new one instead of getting it repaired for a hundred bucks.
^ Yeah they're good amps, a little lifeless IMO but hey it's SS. And that is a very good point about SS electronics, which is why you shouldn't buy Line6. They break.
Vox XL series will be alot better than the Flextone.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
If it's equivalent to 1600 US then spend 400US on a decent ibanez and 1200US on the amp.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I found the XL to be utter crap. The originals did everything better than XLs, even high gain IMO.

Interesting. I know the originals are great. Ah well I guess Vox aren't really high gain amps no matter what they do.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
My mate suggested a Randall RG75 combo, I believe. Anyone got opinions on that?

Just a heads up on the prices - An RG320 is about 900, Epi LP STD is 1000, Valveking 212 is 1.4k.

I was thinking perhaps Ibanez TBX line, Peavey VK (depending on the prices of the guitars we look at) or the Transtube Bandit.

As for guitars, Ibanez, Cort (anyone know if they're decent?) Jackson, stuff like that. Strat copies we have enough of, every single guitar we've got is a strat copy, and they're all crap.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo