I've been playing electric (Les Paul) for 3 months usually sitting with the guitar resting on my right leg with the headstock of the guitar parallel to the ground which I think is the typical position.

Tonight, I was messing around and moved the guitar over to my left leg (which I rested on a stool) and angled the headstock upward (probably 30 - 45 deg above horizontal) - similar to classical style of holding a guitar.

What a huge difference! I felt like I could finger chords and play scales easier. Also, I tend to cramp up in my picking hand but my right hand/wrist felt more relaxed and comfortable.

Does anyone else play electric like this? Any reason I shouldn't play like this?

Thanks!
Play how you want to play I say.

I've done it before and... meh

It dosent really seem that odd for me
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
I prefer the classical position for the comfort and ease when playing solos and higher fret stuff, but the right leg rest for just mashing up some riffs
I played my Electric like a Classical didnt make much difference, but if its easier for you then you should play it like that.
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Last edited by M.O.P at Feb 11, 2008,
yeah dude, definitely, i was classically trained and ive always played like that. i also was taught to place my thumb directly behind the neck right in the center, but sometimes its unnecessary. its a more relaxed position and MUCH easier on your back and shoulders.
if you play a V, thats how you have to play it. and if its more comfortable, rock the classical, its the only way i can play nowadays, much better access to all the frets

edit: in reference to the guy above me, putting your thumb directly behind the neck is a great thing to do, especially during wider stretches. it can really help
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Last edited by spiderjerusalem at Feb 11, 2008,
I play my electric like that, and everybody thinks I'm really weird for doing so, but it makes it so much easier.
If I try to play it 'normally' then my arm aches after a while, and my fingers do not spread as much (they don't spread far normally).

I'm really tall, though, so that might be why.
i tried to play like that i couldint reach the lower stuff (ei: Like 3rd and 5th fret) was around 10th 12th all the time
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
I usually play in a Classical style where my cable is hanging perfectly straight to the ground...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls