Im looking to buy a slide, i have no idea what would be better. I am seeing that glass has bad sound, is this true? What is a good slide to use?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
i have a glass slide, and i definitely oppose your statement of glass sounding bad. its nice and mellower than metal. only downfall of glass slides are that they break when you drop it on hard ground.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i have a glass slide, and i definitely oppose your statement of glass sounding bad. its nice and mellower than metal. only downfall of glass slides are that they break when you drop it on hard ground.

+1
I breathe air.
Here's another tip:
Don't get a bottle slide, they may look cool but it gets a lot of condensation in there.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Metal doesn't shatter into 8,323,521 pieces when you accidentally drop it.

-SD

Neither does glass if you don't grease yourself up before practicing slide licks.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Glass is a lot lighter, so it'll strain your finger less. That's the main reason I use glass.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
i say just go to your music store and play around with some slides. you will notice a difference in sound, but neither of them sound 'bad', it depends on your style. glass is much easier on your fingers though.
Metal will have a harsher sound. Glass has a smooth sound to it. Heck, they're so cheap, I ended up buying both. I mostly use the glass one, though.
i use metal for electric and a small glass one for acoustic, the glass one is a gibson or dunlop, it came with a little leather piece in the middle to grip it better, also it doesnt seem so fragile, its not a bottle neck one

slides are fairly cheap, maybe get two or three different ones, experiment, also its good to have some extra ones on hand
Im wondering if therese any design features that should be avoided. My dad works at one of those machines that turns steel around and cuts it (cant think of the name of the damn thing) So Im getting him to make me some different ones. Short vs long, fine vs coarse surface, different diameter,tapered ones maybe a offcentere one. And yes theyre made of stainless steel so they dont mud up the magnets in the pickups. Dont know if thats a problem, but the fact is that ordenary steel is magnetic and stainless is not.
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
I'm not sure coarse surfaces is a good idea at all.... seems like it could possibly remove some material from the strings.. And I can't imagine the sound being good at all...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Well I dint have "filing" coarse in mind.... But instead of the complete higloss polish smooth, to go machine smooth if you get the idea.
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by blogz
Im wondering if therese any design features that should be avoided. My dad works at one of those machines that turns steel around and cuts it (cant think of the name of the damn thing) So Im getting him to make me some different ones. Short vs long, fine vs coarse surface, different diameter,tapered ones maybe a offcentere one. And yes theyre made of stainless steel so they dont mud up the magnets in the pickups. Dont know if thats a problem, but the fact is that ordenary steel is magnetic and stainless is not.

I'm pretty sure some stainless steel is magnetic.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Okay but where I come from we test the steel to find out if its stainless or not by sticking a magnet on it... if it falls off its stainless if it sticks on its regular steel. Very helpfull if you are to drill a big hole in it. Since it takes at least twise the time and effort to drill stainless compared to regular.
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Any imperfection on the slide surface will make sound when rubbed down the strings, so I'd go with as smooth a finish as possible.

That said, I only use glass because it's lighter and has, to MY ears anyway, a better sound.
Try everything and see what YOU like.
That's all that really matters!
Glass is better sounding, in my experience. I must have dropped mine about 3 times, hasn't smashed or cracked at all. It's worth taking the extra precautions to get the better tone, I think.
I own a shiny chrome one, and I like it. My friend made one out of brass, and the sound on it is harsh. I love it. I want him to make me one...
Brass is sort of coarse whether you want it to bee or not. And that was exactly the surface I was thinking of. trouble with brass is that it turns black after a while.
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
George Thorogood uses copper pipe cut to the lenght he likes and then uses sand paper to rough it up a little.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Yeah, it'll turn black, but a little Mother's polish (you can get it at automotive parts stores, they use it for polishing aluminum wheels) will clean it up in no time at all.
The smoother the polish you get, the slower it'll turn because there is less surface area for the oxidation to get a "bite" on.
Quote by Rev. V!
Yeah, it'll turn black, but a little Mother's polish (you can get it at automotive parts stores, they use it for polishing aluminum wheels) will clean it up in no time at all.
The smoother the polish you get, the slower it'll turn because there is less surface area for the oxidation to get a "bite" on.

.... actually... try using KETCHUP to clean up those slides.... trust me.... cheap and environmentally friendly... plus... your slide becomes instantly delicious!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
if you get a glass slide make sure its nice and thick. a thin glass slide wont give you as much sound or tone.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Some guy around here makes and sells glass slides......

Quote by telemonster
George Thorogood uses copper pipe cut to the lenght he likes and then uses sand paper to rough it up a little.

George Thorogood does that because he's a freaking badass.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Last edited by thankyougermany at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by Don_Humpador
Glass is better sounding, in my experience. I must have dropped mine about 3 times, hasn't smashed or cracked at all. It's worth taking the extra precautions to get the better tone, I think.

I have both, metal and glass, and I have shopped around for ages to find the best ones. Basically the heavier the better. And I can switch between them depending on my mood, I think I prefer the glass on my electric because its lighter and the acoustic gets given more of a clout when I play it so I use the heavier metal. Anyway, I was dead pleased with finding my best ever slide in a shop in Geneva - really expensive, but a beautiful dense heavy metal short slide that could concuss you.

So I was sorted out because I also had a heavy glass full size slide too. And then I read an article on Little Feat in Guitarist (the British mag) about how Paul Barrere moved to metal slides because he kept dropping and breaking the glass ones. So I smugly laughed at 20 years of never dropping and breaking a glass slide and within the week my daughter wants to copy Daddy, takes my slide but fumbles it on the neck and drops it on the tiles, smashing it into 8million pieces. My wife just didn't understand...

Now I'm going to have to wait to find that good a glass slide again because I live in the middle of nowhere. Gutted. Still not over it!
i have both a metal and glass slide and i prefer the metal slide for songs that use distortion and i use the glass slide for clean sounding songs (freebird)
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
I prefer a glass slide, I use it for acoustic and electric guitars... Haven't dropped one in 25 years.... Sh*t, I had to say that, order two!