Page 1 of 2
So yeah.. the MIA is nearly double the price of the MIM, but is it really worth it?? And plus the new 2008 MIA's look even more amazing.

How does the B string on 5ers sound on Jazz V's? Because at my local music store I came across a MIM Jazz V for around $370. The only difference that made it look cheaper that I could see was the tuning pegs. Also, do they make Badass bridges for 5 strings?

I dunno about the 5 string though. Because if I bought a MIM Jazz (4 string), along with new pickups (i don't know what i should get just yet.. so some suggestions would be nice lol.) and a Badass II bridge, would it even come close to a stock 2008 MIA Jazz?

Thanks.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
the store only carries MIM fender bass stuff. but can order MIA. so..
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
I'd say that fit and electronics issues should be considered too. Chances are an American Jazz is going to be put together noticeably better than the MIM (unless you get a lemon). The neck will likely fit better, the frets will be more even and smooth. Then you get the American pups, which I can't comment on in a jazz bass, but I can testify are much better on an American P than on the standard MIM P.

I'm curious about the new American Standard series, which has the new high mass vintage bridge. It doesn't look much like a badassIII but you might look at that if you were going to upgrade to a heftier bridge anyway.

I defered to a MIM because, at the time, I couldn't find an American fender that had quite the features I wanted within my price range, I happened to get a good deal on a mexican P bass, had a quarter pounder pup sitting around, and I needed a decent bass right away. Despite this, I'm still slowly putting money away to get an American because they feel that much nicer to me. Take that for what it's worth.

Also, what kind of authorized fender dealer doesn't carry a single MIA fender? That's pretty lame of them.
When i was looking at Fenders I tried a number of MIMs and MIAs (and a few MIJs too!) and every MIA I played felt and sounded significantly better than the MIM. They just seemed much better put together and general higher quality really.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I think there is a huge difference on how the two feel. The MIA's feel so much better to play, really solid and beefy. The MIM's just feel chinsy in comparison.
Nobody has mentioned the graphite neck support rods that make all the difference in the world.

However, there's a chance you won't tell the difference between the two - however, that would imply you're "not quite there" yet with gear.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Dunno about MIA, but you can tell the difference between MIM and MIJ, with MIJ being better IMO, better crafted and stuff, and I guess the difference between MIM and MIA would be even more pronounced

I'd say find a store that stocks MIM,MIJ and MIA,and then try them all out and see
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
The MIA is significantly better. Take this for what it's worth, but I'd get an MIA and not look back. A black american standard P with a maple fretboard is next on my GAS list, along with a black pickguard for it. Black + Black + Maple = Sexy. Take that equation and memorize it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by thedonutman
What is your price range?

A Lakland 55-01 or 55-02 would be pretty much on-par with the MIAs, but with better features (Bartolinis, active preamp etc.). Its 35" scale too.

+1 for this.

I'd HIGHLY recommend a Nordstrand VJ4, if you're going to take the plunge! They pull off the whole Jazz bass thing better than the Fenders themselves.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
here's a tip from an old man. get a decent, inexpensive bass, and a decent bass amp. learn how to play it. a MIM will suffice until your skills progress enough, to tell the difference between the two.

Edit: after reading the post below.
oh yea! now tell us the "rest of the story" and watch the old man squirm! doh!
my bologna has a first name, it's oscar....
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Feb 12, 2008,
Yeah thanks for all the replies guys. I just found out that they got a 2008 maple neck jazz in the other day. so since i'm taking bass lessons there i might get it a bit cheaper, and may be able to get it on a monthly pay basis. I've been playing for a year and a half and have grown out of my Ibanez. My teacher thinks so as well, because he says I'm very very good for how long i've been playing (i don't mean to brag or anything lol..). He's an amazing teacher and thinks i'll be at a college level within a year of lessons with him.

And yeah about the.. it's the bass i'll have for life. That's the main thing i was thinking. If i'm going to get a bass why not get one i will love for the rest of my life?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
I played a MIM 4 string for about a year. The craftsmanship was good for the $357 ('99). The only thing I noticed after comparing it to my '72 was that the pickups sounded quieter/weaker. Different pickups would have solved the problem but by then I had found the Jazz I'd been looking for.
I would suggest getting the MIM. I have one, it's not the best, but it's also a very great bass. It and the MIA are not really that close together though. The MIA stands out in front, but I don't think that you need to go that far yet.
Quote by FbSa
I would suggest getting the MIM. I have one, it's not the best, but it's also a very great bass. It and the MIA are not really that close together though. The MIA stands out in front, but I don't think that you need to go that far yet.

But I don't see why not go that far.. I mean I'm going to be taking lessons for a couple years, then going into college to take the bass even farther. While in the meantime being in a band and gigging.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Quote by -zj*
But I don't see why not go that far.. I mean I'm going to be taking lessons for a couple years, then going into college to take the bass even farther. While in the meantime being in a band and gigging.

I'm with you. If you have the opportunity to get the MIA, do it. Why waste money by moving up in 'stages'? Just go for the good one from the beginning, learn to play on a quality instrument. It can't hurt, and it'll save you money in the long run. I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for," especially in music.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Yeah. Plus I get a 10% discount on everything in the store since I take lessons there. And I can probably get a monthly payment deal sorta thing worked out. That'd be sweet. My next lesson is on thursday so I'm definitely going to try the 08 MIA Jazz. So I'll go there an hour or so early and just play the hell out of it. Then I will make my final decision and report back and also probably rave about how amazing the new 2008's are.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
For sure man.. How is your American Jazz serving you?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
One question though.. Maple or rosewood? I see that most Fenders are rosewood. Why is this? What's the advantages and disadvantages over both? How do they sound different?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
For me it's less of a tone issue and ore of a feel issue. Maple feels so much better to me. It feels much better playing when the neck is made from one piece, I don't know why. Try out both and see what's what.
Quote by -zj*
For sure man.. How is your American Jazz serving you?

I love it, the things just a rock. The electronics seem like night and day compared to the MIM, not to mention the hardware, neck, body, etc.........Mine's a 98 so its pre-S1 which im not a fan of really. Its kinda cool to see Fender going away from that with the 2008 MIA's. I can go from a fat punchy almost p-bass like tone to full on bridge pickup attack. She's all I need. Oh, I prefer rosewood to maple necks. I dig the mellower tone, but Maple's are sweet too.
K so.. I made my purchase.. $1300. 2008 MIA Jazz in olympic white with a maple fretboard. all i have to say is WOW! this thing sounds incredible. everything about it is amazing.. i'll post pics tomorrow night.
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Quote by -zj*
K so.. I made my purchase.. $1300. 2008 MIA Jazz in olympic white with a maple fretboard. all i have to say is WOW! this thing sounds incredible. everything about it is amazing.. i'll post pics tomorrow night.

Holy crap, that's sexy.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Ooooh white on white Jazz, very nice. I own pretty much the anti-your bass, a black on black Precision .
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
PICS!!

First.. Just a view of it from above

The usual Fender bass headstock..

These are the new tuners introduced with the new 2008 MIA's. They hold tuning surprisingly amazingly well.

Not the best picture.. Pretty blurry. But it's the new high mass vintage bridge which is also new on the 2008's.

A direct above shot.. so hot..

And finally, the attention to detail in the fretwork is outstanding.. not a very good pic though lol.

So that's my new bass Tell me what you guys think..
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
It's a one piece.

edit: oh wait.. the fretboard itself is maple. but i dunno what the neck is.. probably the same as the rest of the bass? i'm not sure.

so i guess its a 2 piece?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Last edited by -zj* at Feb 16, 2008,
Yeaa, that's a damn nice bass

*drools ever so slightly*
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
That's a DAMN sexy bass. That looks much better in those pics than the ones I've seen before, and considering my next bass will probably be an MIA standard, I've given this finish a new look. Thanks!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I'm still note sure about the tort on cream deal, but it looks pretty good. Honestly, if that bass had a pan knob instead of two volumes and a few other select things (active electronics, maybe noiseless pickups), it would be close to my dream.

By the way, the neck and fretboard are one piece maple/maple
Page 1 of 2