distortion is basically the metal tone (this is harder to explain than i thought) you hear in most metal music? jesus that was horrible. distortion is the fuzzier of the two options.
overdrive is used to either push your amp's distortion to the next level, or can be used on its own for a bluesy kind of tone.
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
i would say od is almost like a fuller distorion idk the exact difference though but if u listen to a song with over drive and one with distortion u can just insyinctively tell
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
In basic terms:

Overdrive = soft
Distortion = hard.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Right, basically:

- An overdrive boosts your guitar signal typically to drive the power tubes in your amp to distort giving you that gogeous tube overdrive sound this is however dependant on whether you have a tube amp an the quality of the overdrive. For example a TS-808 through a blues junior sounds godly. However a Danelectro through a marshall mg sounds crap.

- A distortion pedal actually distorts you guitar signal and can often enable much higher amounts of distortion and gain.

Help?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Basically to me distortion pedals sound like crap. You need a good overdrive channel on your amp (distortion channel) and then use an overdrive pedal to tighten it up and add more desired gain. To have that saturated tone. Some amps will do this without the overdrive but most tube amps won't. Even my 6505 just doesn't sound saturated like I like it. Like solid states do. So I use a digi tech bad monkey tube overdrive to add more gain. And it sounds exactly like I want it to.
but if i got an overdrive pedal and used it with a solid state amp, would that sound okay? Im getting a tube amp in a few months however...
Quote by Adz2706
but if i got an overdrive pedal and used it with a solid state amp, would that sound okay? Im getting a tube amp in a few months however...

I've tried it, but it's not great. It sounds probably better than your average solid state overdrive if you get what i mean, providing you buy a decent one. But it wil just sound epic when you plug it into a tube amp.

EDIT: What amp do you have?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
so, whats the best overdrive pedal i can buy? if it sounds good with a tube i guess i can wait till i get one =P ive currently got a 10 watt kustom practice amp...but im getting a marshall dsl401, atleast i think its a tube
Last edited by Adz2706 at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by Adz2706
so, whats the best overdrive pedal i can buy? if it sounds good with a tube i guess i can wait till i get one =P ive currently got a 10 watt kustom practice amp...but im getting a marshall dsl401, atleast i think its a tube

Critically aclaimed as the best overdrive is the Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808. It is Godly i'd love one but i can't warrant the price tag. The Digitech Bad Monkey is a good cheap alternative but it isn't as good.

The marshall dsl401 is the cheapest marshall all tube amp, but for the money there are far better options. Whats your budget? What are your playing styles?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Yes, I use my overdrive pedal with my solid state amp to tighten it up and to give it the saturated gain I like. Although it wont push the tubes because there are none. So I use mine with my tube amp and after practice with my band I always bring it home to use on my kustom 16 watt solid state amp. Without it it doesn't sound nowhere near as good. Its night and day difference even on the solid state amp. If you heard my kustom without the bad monkey you would say its okay but not enough gain. Heard it with it. Sounds exactly like my 5150 just at low volumes.
i can spend around £400 (around $800) on the amp, i play rock/metal. like guns n roses, metallica, that kinda stuff.
Quote by paranormal5150
Yes, I use my overdrive pedal with my solid state amp to tighten it up and to give it the saturated gain I like. Although it wont push the tubes because there are none. So I use mine with my tube amp and after practice with my band I always bring it home to use on my kustom 16 watt solid state amp. Without it it doesn't sound nowhere near as good. Its night and day difference even on the solid state amp. If you heard my kustom without the bad monkey you would say its okay but not enough gain. Heard it with it. Sounds exactly like my 5150 just at low volumes.

If you can decrypt that paragraph, what he is saying is right. Basically Overdrive pedals give you far more versitile and richer overdrive tones through a solid state amp, however through a tube amp, pushed power amp tubes sound awesome.

I've done a quick look and for the same money as the dsl401 there are some far better amps:

Peavey Classic 30 (Classic rock style)

Laney VC30-212 (Classic rock style)

Peavey Valveking 212 (higher gain amp)

VOX AC-15 (One of the greatest low gain classic rock british amps...ever)

EDIT: WOO go england (i love pounds). Anyway amps 1,2 and 4 would need an overdrive or distortion pedal to get to say metal levels, but clean they would offer you a far better tone than the valveking. I personally have a blues junior and love it but it probably wouldn't be well suited for you.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Adz2706
cool, thanks for your help =]

Anytime, go and play the mentioned amps, let us know about your decision.

Oh forgot to mention Fulltone OCD is a great overdrive pedal.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S