So.. guys im thinking of getting a Gibson SG Special.. and i was wondering.. would I be able to change the pickups for a pair of Burstbuckers?? if so.. which Burstbuckers should i use?.. (yes I am quite inexperienced :P.. please pardon my stupidity)

thanks.

edit: oh n nothing less than £150 (thats about $300)
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Feb 11, 2008,
Burstbuckers are out of your budget anyway, but there's better priced options out there so that's not an issue.

First things first, what amp are you using? Second, do you HAVE to buy the special? You'd be better off putting the extra £150 towards simply buying a better guitar, or a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well im gna get a Marshall MG50DFX.. and changing pickups is for the future... atm i can choose a guitar between £600 and £650.... so i chose the SG Special... :/..

Edit: nvm...i could also add some money myself... so.. what good Gibson guitar could i get with... something around £700 ($1400)?

Edit #2: NVM.. :P

im replacing the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan and leaving the bridge pickup.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Feb 11, 2008,
Jesus sounds you have a lot of money to throw around. Definitely don't get an MG head, they are epicly bad. They are lower end Marshall so don't perform like a real Marshall. What you want it a tube amp and with 700 quid you can get a really good one. Any clues on what you play could help us to help you

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
Jesus sounds you have a lot of money to throw around. Definitely don't get an MG head, they are epicly bad. They are lower end Marshall so don't perform like a real Marshall. What you want it a tube amp and with 700 quid you can get a really good one. Any clues on what you play could help us to help you

well the guitars £600... so thats £600 gone...

i think i'll be able to spend another £200 on an amp... and i play Blues / Rock.. any type of rock..
Carmel is hawt
Seriously, spend more money on the amp and less on the guuitar...if you've got £800 or so then look more towards splitting your budget 50/50. What kind of sound do you want to get from your rig and who are your infuences?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well i want a dirty but bluesy sound on distortion... but also a warm clean sound..

influences = SRV, EVH, Dave Gilmour, Kirk Hammett, John Petrucci and Carlos Santana.
Carmel is hawt
A Laney VC 30 would cover the majority of the tones you want, it won't do metal without additional overdrive but it'll take well to being boosted.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-212/378

That'll still leave you with around £400 for a guitar. One things for certain, you don't want a Marshall MG.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
hmm... what about a Marshall AVT?

Nope, almost as bad - there's not really anything worth getting with the Marshall name on it until you get around the £600 mark. The DSL 401 is worth a look but it tends to split opinion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

oh im sorry!! haha... i mistook the DSL 401 for the MG!!

yeah.. lmao im rly sorry to have confused u all.. yeah its the DSL 401 im planning to get.. its second hand so its £175..
Carmel is hawt
In that case you're sorted
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Seriously, spend more money on the amp and less on the guuitar...if you've got £800 or so then look more towards splitting your budget 50/50. What kind of sound do you want to get from your rig and who are your infuences?

+1

£400 will easily buy you a second-hand tokai. those things are, by and large, kickass. you have strat copies, tele copies, gibson copies. heck if they were the same price as fenders or gibsons i'd prefer them. when they're like half the price, and still better (IMO) it's a no-brainer.

laney vc30 would be my suggested amp too, mark has already suggested it, though... \/

Quote by steven seagull
A Laney VC 30 would cover the majority of the tones you want, it won't do metal without additional overdrive but it'll take well to being boosted.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-212/378

That'll still leave you with around £400 for a guitar. One things for certain, you don't want a Marshall MG.

if you can get a dsl401 for £175, that's probably pretty decent. it'd be worth seeing if you could nab a second-hand laney vc30 too, as i suspect it's more aimed at the tones you want. though £175 sounds like a good price for that dsl401... even you didn't like it you could possibly turn it round for a small profit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Orange Tiny Terror will definitely get you those warm cleans and blues overdrive. It's what it does and it does it best IMHO. But the DSL is ok but I have A/Bed both and I prefer the TT, less shallow sounding, more character.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by steven seagull
Burstbuckers are out of your budget anyway, but there's better priced options out there so that's not an issue.

First things first, what amp are you using? Second, do you HAVE to buy the special? You'd be better off putting the extra £150 towards simply buying a better guitar, or a better amp.

Gibson SG special is a nice guitar... its no 3 grand VOS or anything but its still a really nice guitar.

And hell no to the marshall MG. if you get that amp pickups wont be able to help you get a good sound.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial