In an era where communication is god, many musicians are using these advances in communication technology to expand their musical capabilities by collaborating and recording material with other artists from all around the world. This free sharing of ideas has helped electronica, hip-hop, ambient, noise, grindcore and many other genres (and subsets of) grow and flourish.

Why, then, do you think rock musicians rarely seek to collaborate with other artists? Is this because of inflated egos? Could this simply be greed? or is this just because rock musicians simply don't have any fresh ideas worth communicating and collaborating over?

discuss
I agree. But I don't know why it is.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Haha, not another one already Teeg, the other one hasn't run its course yet...
QOTSA do ALOT of collaborations.

Max Cavalera from Soulfly has a different line-up for almost every song soulfly ever recorded.

Dave Grohl did Probot a while ago.

This Is Menace where they got different dudes to play on every track

Roadrunner United

Tony Iommi got different singers/musicians to play with him on an album of new material.

Josh Homme's desert sessions.

EDIT: that band with jack white and brendan benson (I forget the name)
Good rock is played by the right people at the right time at the right place. Not anywhere at any given time by any idiot..... like me.
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
Quote by freedoms_stain
QOTSA do ALOT of collaborations.

Max Cavalera from Soulfly has a different line-up for almost every song soulfly ever recorded.

Dave Grohl did Probot a while ago.

This Is Menace where they got different dudes to play on every track

Roadrunner United

Tony Iommi got different singers/musicians to play with him on an album of new material.

Josh Homme's desert sessions.

EDIT: that band with jack white and brendan benson (I forget the name)

lol.
Quote by teegman
lol.

You lose.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
How so?

freedoms_stain listed a few extremely isolated instances of rock musicians (and that's using the term 'rock musicians' very generously, unless perhaps he's referring to rock structure artists) collaborating. It's extremely funny that he thinks he's disproved me, you must be as musically ignorant and isolated as he is Rocker_69 if you agree with him, but what else would I expect from someone with your username.
The difference is that most hip hoppers and dj's are solo artists. If they feel the need to do something with a friend it will automatically be a collaboration. People in bands already play with each other so the need to play with others is lessened.

Grindcore-liking-people probably use the internet because they can't find any like-minded musicians in their own circles.

By the way, rock collaborations do happen. It happens a lot at shows where the singer of the headlining act will sing a song with the opening band or whatever. The grunge scene also had many collaborations, just look it up.
To be fair there a very few musical collaberations in the mainstream due to the fact that bands are taught to compete against each other for money, rather then good natured rivalry based in a mutual respect, most bands don't want to collaborate and nor do the labels want bands to collaborate as it waters down the profit.
I do a lot of remixes and collabs, but technically I'm industrial...
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by teegman
How so?

freedoms_stain listed a few extremely isolated instances of rock musicians (and that's using the term 'rock musicians' very generously, unless perhaps he's referring to rock structure artists) collaborating. It's extremely funny that he thinks he's disproved me, you must be as musically ignorant and isolated as he is Rocker_69 if you agree with him, but what else would I expect from someone with your username.

Oooh, smashing finisher there. I like how you accuse me of being ignorant yet you judge me soley on my user name on an internet forum.

On topic, who really cares how little or how often musicians collaborate, I fail to see the importance or relation as to how it makes them out of ideas. And just off the top of my head, Queen and David Bowie wrote Under Pressure together, and I have Ozzy Osbourne singing with DMX and Ol Dirty Bastard on my south park cd, oh and Brian Johnson sang a song with jackyl (sp?). Although I guess they don't count in your opinion because they include the unnatural "art" of singing?
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
I'm interested in Teegs reply to this one then...

As a technicality, almost all rock music is based on collaboration. Most rock music is made within a band format where multiple people will be working together, thus forming a collaboration. Outside of this format, many, if not most musicians work with other musicians at some point. Just because the formed product doesn't reach release or falls under the radar, doesn't mean collaborations are rare.
Quote by Draken
To be fair there a very few musical collaberations in the mainstream due to the fact that bands are taught to compete against each other for money, rather then good natured rivalry based in a mutual respect, most bands don't want to collaborate and nor do the labels want bands to collaborate as it waters down the profit.

too true,

it seems they don't want to associate with one another for exactly that,

in terms of non-mainstream music, it happens everywhere, you just are looking in the wrong place TS
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.