jesus is there anything i can do to strengthen my fingetips? I had some really thick strings on my guitar because it was tuned to a C, but since i leave my standard at my jam space, i decided to tune it to E. The strings are tight and thick as hell, and i spend every day now with very bruised finger tips. its cool practice because acoustics feel like .09's to me now.(which i dont normally use for acoustics), but im spendign every day with my fingers completely battered. should i be eatign more iron or sumthing?

When will my fingers strengthen?
over time your fingers will get used to it, i play with D'Addario strings and they're somewhat thicker than your average string. either continue with your technique or play with the bottom of your finger, like right under the tip of your finger.
Quote by metalclash22
over time your fingers will get used to it, i play with D'Addario strings and they're somewhat thicker than your average string. either continue with your technique or play with the bottom of your finger, like right under the tip of your finger.

What he said. I got some Zakk Wylde strings and they were really thick. I eventually couldn't take it anymore when I would play in standard tuning and had to go down a little bit.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
well if i break my fingertips open their not gonna be any good.

Should i play until they bruise then let them heal? Just play constantly no matter what damage? Should I let them heal before they bruise and and blister?
i wouldn't let them bruise. if you want to continue playing then go ahead, doing unessessary damage to your finger is pointless. your best bet would be to play for a certain amount of time and then gradually increase the amount of time you can play on those strings.
yeah, eventually you will get nice thick callouses

i remember when i could only play guitar for 20mins then i would be in agony lol

oh, some ppl say to use super glue on ur fingers but i wouldnt advise it
surgical spirit might work, but again its probably better to build the callouses naturally
Last edited by Snapple at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by metalclash22
i wouldn't let them bruise. if you want to continue playing then go ahead, doing unessessary damage to your finger is pointless. your best bet would be to play for a certain amount of time and then gradually increase the amount of time you can play on those strings.

i was thinking about that but that wouldn't make sense, considering I'm not playing the same thing all the time, and i wouldn't be able to play at my own pleasure.

i guess i'll just play until i cant no more.
Drink a whole bunch of beer before you play and you won't realize that your fingers are hurting.
Quote by Jonan_
Drink a whole bunch of beer before you play and you won't realize that your fingers are hurting.

best idea i've heard yet.