Page 1 of 3
Wel, I'm sure lots of people remember the craze in the mid-90s with diagnosing unruly children with ADHD after it was first diagnosed. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that bipolarity has become the new "in" thing to diagnose unruly children with.
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
I can't see too many psychiatrists jumping on this bandwagon. Bipolar disorder (real bipolar disorder) is one of the most crippling psychiatric disorders you can imagine. Doctors aren't going to stand by and let it be trivialized by parents too lazy to do their jobs.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Not sure. I was one of the ADHD kids lmfao...
"There's a thread for only grindcore, but you probably wouldn't know when searche b/c it's called "The Grindcore Only Thread."
- Nebraskan
yeh i know of some people who fake that stuff... just like adhd...i worked with one and he use to get call in and not get written up cuz he suppiosedly had bipolarity
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.
i think its all just a way to pay doctors. Sure people are bipolar, but the doctors throw that diagnosis around like its a frizbee
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
I don't think it's ever really been a craze to diagnose people with anything. Maybe some parents claimed their children had it but I don't think Doctors ever did. ADHD and bipolarity don't mean you have extremes of it anyway, its not a "you have it or you don't" disease like Pneumonia or something, its more like a symptom of chemical imbalances, so it can be quite subtle in some cases.

Also alot of people think itis being faked when really they just can't see that it's there due purely to a lackof understanding about the condition.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
bi-polarity is horrible. my 8 year old little brother was diagnosed with it 3 months ago and he had to go stay at a psychiatric hospital for a week. he was so miserable, it's a sad thing to stand by and watch it all happen but you really can't do anything for them. they really can't control their action/emotions at all when they get out of hand.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Seems every emo kid I know claims they have bi-polar disorder.

that's what pisses me off about it, they haven't even experienced it first hand.

it's the same with OCD.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Its Those Hormones
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Quote by dnjoe
Also alot of people think itis being faked when really they just can't see that it's there due purely to a lackof understanding about the condition.

I know what the condition is like, we're studying it in Psychology at the moment. It's just that there's been a very high increase in it, so I was wondering what you all thought.
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
dont forget aspergers syndrome. seems loads of people want to diagnose themselves with that. i cant see why its seen as trendy. i dont think physcologists help either. i work at a kids home, and ive heard a few people tell me about siblings who physcologists have gone and diagnosed with aspergers, when its such a rare condition. its like they want to boost their numbers or something. theres a ton of better more likely diagnoses before you go down the rare type of austim route.
Quote by Def
dont forget aspergers syndrome. seems loads of people want to diagnose themselves with that. i cant see why its seen as trendy. i dont think physcologists help either. i work at a kids home, and ive heard a few people tell me about siblings who physcologists have gone and diagnosed with aspergers, when its such a rare condition. its like they want to boost their numbers or something. theres a ton of better more likely diagnoses before you go down the rare type of austim route.

Asperger's isn't that rare is it? =/
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
you don't just have aspergers or you don't, you can have varying degrees of it. There's probably extremely few people who don't have asperger's to any degree, I'd guess most people have the slightest hint of it. There is a problem of people faking it, but there's also a problem of people refusing to believe that someone can have aspergic tendencies without being a rainman.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Quote by dnjoe
you don't just have aspergers or you don't, you can have varying degrees of it. There's probably extremely few people who don't have asperger's to any degree, I'd guess most people have the slightest hint of it. There is a problem of people faking it, but there's also a problem of people refusing to believe that someone can have aspergic tendencies without being a rainman.

No. There are certain criteria that must be met before you "have aspergers". Saying that "everyone has it to a certain degree" is ridiculous.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by dnjoe

/facepalm

I'll make it easy for you. Asperger's wouldn't be in the autistic spectrum if everybody had it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
ADHD. The teachers in my son's school seemed to be "experts" at diagnosing it. Both of my sons supposedly had it. Both "diagnosed" by the same 4th grade teacher. Ya she thought I was "A sociopath with homicidal tendencies" by the time I was done with her. She still crosses the street to avoid me on the few occasions I see her in town.
Bi-polar disorder is bandied about more and more and it makes me wonder at times if what the ts asked is true. I know when I went to school there was no such thing as ADD or ADHD.
The cure for constant disruptive behavior was made from a piece of hickory. I must of been ill and never knew it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I saw on the cover of one of those popular magazines that Britney Spears might be bipolar. I do get the feeling that these illnesses are misdiagnosed a lot of the times. A misdiagnosed illness can lead a person to believe that he/she is afflicted with whatever the diagnosis is, and the brain will induce that sort of behavior unto itself.

^ Yeah, show 'em Jackal. Kick their asses.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The sad thing is that when most kids fake bipolarity, they do it wrong. They act as if the mood swing happens every ten minutes. Morons..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I can't stand people who fake anything like this.

I myself am Bi-Polar, along with some somewhat Mild Schizophrenia. Assholes at school think it's funny to make fun of, and of course if I do a thing about it I end up the one in the wrong.

Then you have the people who try to act like they have it, and do it entirely wrong, but people are afraid of looking bad so they pretend to believe them and move on with everything.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
I can't stand people who fake anything like this.

I myself am Bi-Polar, along with some somewhat Mild Schizophrenia. Assholes at school think it's funny to make fun of, and of course if I do a thing about it I end up the one in the wrong.

Then you have the people who try to act like they have it, and do it entirely wrong, but people are afraid of looking bad so they pretend to believe them and move on with everything.

It would quite rare for bipolar disorder to be diagnosed as comorbid with schizophrenia. May I ask what subtype you were diagnosed with (if any)?
Quote by Archeo Avis
It would quite rare for bipolar disorder to be diagnosed as comorbid with schizophrenia. May I ask what subtype you were diagnosed with (if any)?

I'll send you a PM a bit later on.

I have a strange feeling that I'll be bothered more if we do this within the thread.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Bipolar chicks are hot.

Thats my contribution to this thread.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Well, giving all these labels to the terrible diseases which affect so many of our children is pretty useless in my opinion, as all these originate in the same disease, namely "lazyspoiltbrat-itis".
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Ez0ph
Bipolar chicks are hot.

No, there is NOTHING hot about it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

uhhh
its pretty hot
I like crazy chicks dont judge yo
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
I suffered badly from bi-polar disorder. Took a long time to get a handle on it.
It's nothing new, infact you'd probably be surprised how many people have suffered/are suffering from it; many of them you probably don't even know about.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by MetalMegaMan

it's the same with OCD.

People who claim to have illnesses that they don't have make me fucking angry.

I've suffered with OCD for years and have gone through bad months where I've barely slept and experienced rapid weight loss, and yet I sat in Psychology the other day and had at least 10 of my classmates raising their hand when OCD was mentioned -

"Oh yeah, I have OCD"

"So do I, I always want everything to be tidy!".

And the teacher just nodded his head and claimed that OCD is "nothing to be worried about".

I totally understand how it makes people feel when they ACTUALLY have a bad case of Bi-Polar or ADHD and have their condition mocked by those that claim it's "just an excuse for bad behaviour" and those who feign the illness themselves.

I believe that people need to be educated on the most common health and mental disorders, illnesses etc. to a greater extent.
Quote by ChrisN
I suffered badly from bi-polar disorder. Took a long time to get a handle on it.
It's nothing new, infact you'd probably be surprised how many people have suffered/are suffering from it; many of them you probably don't even know about.

Maybe you should look at statistics.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by ChrisN

Personally I think everybody could be diagnosed with a mental disease.
I've been in all kinds of therapies and **** all my life and they all have said I have something different
The one I'm in right now says I have Intermittent Explosive Disorder
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by Ez0ph
Personally I think everybody could be diagnosed with a mental disease.
I've been in all kinds of therapies and **** all my life and they all have said I have something different
The one I'm in right now says I have Intermittent Explosive Disorder

They could. The questions asked are so vague and general anyone could be diagnosed as bipolar.

Do you ever go on shopping sprees? Oh, you DO? Quick.. someone put this guy away, he's going to kill himself!!!
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by skagitup
People who claim to have illnesses that they don't have make me fucking angry.

I've suffered with OCD for years and have gone through bad months where I've barely slept and experienced rapid weight loss, and yet I sat in Psychology the other day and had at least 10 of my classmates raising their hand when OCD was mentioned -

"Oh yeah, I have OCD"

"So do I, I always want everything to be tidy!".

And the teacher just nodded his head and claimed that OCD is "nothing to be worried about".

I totally understand how it makes people feel when they ACTUALLY have a bad case of Bi-Polar or ADHD and have their condition mocked by those that claim it's "just an excuse for bad behaviour" and those who feign the illness themselves.

I believe that people need to be educated on the most common health and mental disorders, illnesses etc. to a greater extent.

Nothing irritates me more than the trivialization of psychological disorders. I've spent hours...literally hours frozen in front of a blank computer, unable to complete any work or even get something to eat. I'll take showers with a swimsuit on and take the long route to where I'm going because of a general anxiety disorder. The most generic and "trivial" of psychiatric illnesses. People who talk about illnesses like bipolar disorder like they're trivial or amusing are the worst kind of moron.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
They could. The questions asked are so vague and general anyone could be diagnosed as bipolar.

Do you ever go on shopping sprees? Oh, you DO? Quick.. someone put this guy away, he's going to kill himself!!!

Indeed.

I really should edit my above post, I sound far from what I meant to say.

Personally I don't believe in the fact that I have any form of Schizophrenia, but as soon as I say that to the medical 'professional', they start saying I have blah blah fucking blah else wrong with me. Gets a bit irritating.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
Indeed.

I really should edit my above post, I sound far from what I meant to say.

Personally I don't believe in the fact that I have any form of Schizophrenia, but as soon as I say that to the medical 'professional', they start saying I have blah blah fucking blah else wrong with me. Gets a bit irritating.

You should have told them you have no insurance. That's a one way ticket to being as healthy as a goat.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Ez0ph
Bipolar chicks are hot.

My ex girlfriend's bipolar...

...and she looks like a man.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
My ex girlfriend's bipolar...

...and she looks like a man.

Lol, you went out with a chick that looks like a man.

Bipolar chicks are hot tho, end of story.
Whether or not they look like men.
I <3 Drugs.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
I don't even believe in ADHD. If I had kids that just acted hyper-active I would beat them down. That's how you cure it.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by Dinkydaisy
/facepalm

I'll make it easy for you. Asperger's wouldn't be in the autistic spectrum if everybody had it.

Very true.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You should have told them you have no insurance. That's a one way ticket to being as healthy as a goat.

Haha, that probably would've worked.

By the way. If I do so recall correctly, at an Indiana UGer Meet-Up (details to be discussed later on), I'll be meeting Kankuro face-to-mask.

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Page 1 of 3