hey y'all. Recently I acquired a Yamaha bass of my neighbor, which he had stored away for quite a while (hasn't been played in almost 10 years). He gave it to me for nothing whatsoever, and told me he was "passing on the legacy". However, when I got home, I tried looking for the model of the bass on google. I managed to find Images of it, but I couldn't seem to be able to place a name on it. So now I'm coming to you guys for aid. Since I don't really have a clue about Yamaha's, was hoping that someone out here would know. I know that it was made in Japan, but don't know much more than that.

Any help would be appreciated. Images are attached to the post (sorry bout that rubbish shots, but I'm no good with a camera, and all I got is my brothers cheap and tacky webcam
Attachments:
out_00.jpg
out_01.jpg
out_02.jpg
out_03.jpg
i dont know but it looks pretty gnarly.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

try looking at the back of the headstock for any model number

or just look over the whole bass usually there is one written somewhere
there is a number on the back of the headstock, however the search engine doesn't come up with anything, and as far as I can see there are no other numbers (except on the knobs)
Quote by adaeha
there is a number on the back of the headstock, however the search engine doesn't come up with anything, and as far as I can see there are no other numbers (except on the knobs)

Tell us the number then...

With the serial number we can find out what year it was made, then look at the models yamaha made that year.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
According to yamaha.com, you have an invalid serial number!

yamaha guitars are bitches with the serial numbers

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i dont know what it is. but i cant get you close to the value with one clue. yamaha hates not using a matching color on headstocks. if the headstock is natural its pretty much a lower end old bass
Quote by beer bear
That looks like a VERY old Yamaha BB series..could be wrong though

The general shape suggests BB series, but as far as I know they don't have scratch plates nowadays. Where is Michael Anthony when you need him.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
BB-800 with a PB bridge pickup added (1977-1981)

I'd have to look this up, but my first guess would be yours was made in early 1978.
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 11, 2008,
Wow, I think ColdGin may be right. Nice bass, I love the whole 'dual P pickup' thing it has going. It looks nice, I have a thing for natural basses.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
That thing is beautiful. Looks like you got a real keeper. As for the Bass it looks like it is a part of the BB series.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Yeah you have yourself a BB definetly (i own a BB400)

Great Bass
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects