I'm buying a graphic card to play Battlefield:2142...So which one???

So, I bought Battlefield: 2142, brought it home, it installed fine, I start it up, splash screen comes up, screen goes black like most games do, then.....

I'm kicked to the desktop. Game closes.

I take another looksy at the box and realize that when I was at the store, I totally neglected the "(see right)" part of the video requirements section. I look over on the *right* and it says:

"Video card must be AGP or PCIexpress, have 128 MB or more memory, have support of Pixel Shader 2.0, and one of the following chipsets:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater;
ATI Radeon 9500 or greater."

I venture into my display settings and discover that I have an NVIDIA GeForce 2MX.

I screw with every setting I can screw to no avail. I do a little research and conclude that I need a new graphic card.

But which one?

I don't know anything about graphic cards, so I present my problem to UG. I would like to buy a new graphic card in order to get Battlefield: 2142 to run well. I want to spend the least of amount of money possible and still get it to work.

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll answer them very quickly.
1st things first, you need to find out what graphics card slot you have on your motherboard.

AGP or PCI-E

If PCI-E I say 7600GT. I have one and it runs bf2142 on full, they're not that new either so it shouldn't be too expensive. (infact I plan to sell a brand new one soonish if you're interested)
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
1st things first, you need to find out what graphics card slot you have on your motherboard.

AGP or PCI-E

If PCI-E I say 7600GT. I have one and it runs bf2142 on full, they're not that new either so it shouldn't be too expensive. (infact I plan to sell a brand new one soonish if you're interested)

I know I have an AGP, I'm not sure about a PCI-E.
Quote by halfback_712
I know I have an AGP, I'm not sure about a PCI-E.

In that case you're limited, AGP is the old interface.

I spose you might as well get what the box recommends.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Get the one the game recomends.
If there's a choice, go for the cheapest.

The game says it will work.. so what's the problem?

The cards listed above aren't recommendations, their minimum requirements. I know the game will work on them, but probably not very well. I'm thinking something that would give me a little better performance.

Thanks anyways, though.
wait sry to hijack but i have a similar problem and just didnt want to make my own thread. how do u check wat graphic card slot u have on the motherboard?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
How much RAM does your computer have and what processor do you have in there.
8600GT will run it on low.

8700GT will run it on medium

9750GTX/8800GTX will run it on high.

Go with whatever you can afford.
High as tits
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

AGP or PCI-E

mines PCI-E and i cant run BF2142 on full, do you have yours OC'ed?
Last edited by Effingn00bcake at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
8600GT will run it on low.

8700GT will run it on medium

9750GTX/8800GTX will run it on high.

Go with whatever you can afford.

Like I said, my 7600GT runs it on max.

My old 7600GT XXX edition did and my replacement "Fatal1ty edition" does too.
Neither are/were overclocked.

The game doesn't have that good graphics.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Feb 11, 2008,
just cuz urs is pci doesnt mean the actual graphic card is good enough to run bf2142 on full...i think

edit: to effingnoobcake.

btw so how do u check if its agp or pci-e?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
PCI-E doesn't really improve anything yet, it has the potential to but the technology of the cards hasn't advanced far enough to take advantage of it yet. That said most of the better cards are only sold in PCI-E form anyway.
Get a PCI-E motherboard.

8800 GT. Performs like a dream, future proof's your gaming experience, and the price is right
HI GUYS!