Page 1 of 2
I have noticed an increase in punk musicians (Chuck Ragan of HWM, Chris McCaughan of Lawrence Arms, and Dustin Kensrue of Thrice) releasing acoustic solo albums. Does that fact, coupled with songs like NOFX's "You're Wrong" and acoustic artists such as Mike Park on punk label Asian Man, show a turn in punk music towards artistic expression as opposed to more about bare bones and speed? That does not go to say there isn't artist expression in an Oi! song, but this folksy evolution, is shining a new light on the punk rock community. What are some of your favorite acoustic punk songs, covers, solo projects, so on and so forth.
Y 50 $3&10^$¿
though its not acoustic, i really like the agony scene's covers of do what you want and paint it black
Rise Against - Swing life away & roadside
Alkaline trio - Enjoy your day, Blue In The Face, Sorry About That
Matt Skiba - Good Fuking Bye
12 Crass Songs by Jeffery Lewis is genius.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
I think there was a thread very similar to this recently.

At any rate, the acoustic punk thing has been especially huge in the last few years, with all those wonderful plan-it-x type bands being quite prominent. I think it's great.

The acoustic guitar lends itself well to that Kerouacesque troubadour lifestyle, which is quite punk.
All I know is that I will never pay money to see or hear one guy or gal strum one guitar unless that guy or gal is extremely eccentric and writes exceptionally amazing songs.

I'm not into slam poetry and I'm not into solo acoustic folk performances.

I'm not knocking that stuff or anyone who likes it, but I try to avoid it.

Acoustic Bands are cool though.
I like the Michael Jordan Touchdown Pass.

Or at least the one song I downloaded from them/him.

It was about King Kong and smoking and it had a sweet keyboard lead.

And I think one guy played all the instruments.

I wish I knew how to record and mix like that.
I think the whole folk punk thing is great. Just a whole lot of energy in the scene and it's something new a refreshing. I really like it.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
its not "acoustic punk" that implies it's punk music playedo n acoustic instruments.

t's folk punk, because its FOLK music with punk infused into it.

plasying fast songs on an acoustic guitar doesn't make it folk punk, you have to have the major component's of the folk genre, it's more intricate than it at first seems.

best folk punk artist? I think it is currently Adhamh Roland, cause he's pure awsomeness, and he's not just poundign on an acoustic guitar, it's like, actual folk music, but punky.
I really don't listen to acoustic punk albums, but I'm currently in the process of making one.

So far, I have about 2 songs done.

In the summer, of course, I plan to do a full ten track studio album, with drums, acoustic and electric guitars, basses, keyboards, percussion, bongos and flute, if I can work out how to play the damn thing.

It might sound wimped out, but indeed, it will rather be more grandiose and orchestral than straight punk, which isn't very interesting to listen to.

It'll probably sound a little something like the johnny skullf*ck sound on acid.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I think the whole folk punk thing is great. Just a whole lot of energy in the scene and it's something new a refreshing. I really like it.

I agree with this.

It's the best thing to happen to punk in a looooooong time. Such a positive scene!
Quote by original=punk
its not "acoustic punk" that implies it's punk music playedo n acoustic instruments.

t's folk punk, because its FOLK music with punk infused into it.

plasying fast songs on an acoustic guitar doesn't make it folk punk, you have to have the major component's of the folk genre, it's more intricate than it at first seems.

best folk punk artist? I think it is currently Adhamh Roland, cause he's pure awsomeness, and he's not just poundign on an acoustic guitar, it's like, actual folk music, but punky.

Agreed!
Although I never really called it folk punk, usually just acoustic punk.
We all learn new things, eh?
Booyah.
Quote by sargasm
I agree with this.

It's the best thing to happen to punk in a looooooong time. Such a positive scene!
I agree with Sargasm's decision to agree with this. I can't wait to go to my first folk punk show.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I agree with Sargasm's decision to agree with this. I can't wait to go to my first folk punk show.

I agree with you agreeing that this is a good thing for punk
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
i wholeheartedly agree............what?

seriously, can someone suggest me some bands? i wanna get into this, but dont know where to start

edit: besides ghost mice

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Feb 13, 2008,
well it actually comparitivly to other acoustic genres it is fairly "aggressive"
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
While we're on the topic of folk punk, can someone explain to me what Anti-Folk is?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
I always considered anti-folk to be folk punk.

The Moldy Peaches are a good anti-folk band, although it sucks their music was used in Juno.
Especially since Michael Cera and Ellen Page can't worth ****.
I liked Juno. Michael Cera only really has one character, but I always like it. Plus I'm biased anyway, cuz Cera and Jason Bateman were both in it and Arrested Development is/was my favorite show.
Quote by original=punk
I always considered anti-folk to be folk punk.

The Moldy Peaches are a good anti-folk band, although it sucks their music was used in Juno.
Especially since Michael Cera and Ellen Page can't worth ****.

I haven't seen Juno.

But I loves me some Ellen Page.

Even as a fake pregnant person.
Quote by BostonLacrosse
well it actually comparitivly to other acoustic genres it is fairly "aggressive"

That is a horribly written sentence, and I hope you are gravely ashamed.
since were talking about accoustic punk. do you think bob marley is considered punk?
Quote by crustyreed
jan 08ers quit posting threads to establish how core you are. nobody has heard of these 'ramnomes' you speak of.
Not really, but the punks liked him.

There was definitely a kinship, if you watch "rude boy", Ray has a Marley t shirt on while the clash cover police and thieves.

BTW, for those who want to hear some acoustic punk, click the link in my sig.
The wailers were originally a Ska band. My friend has a tape from their ska period but I've never heard it.
Quote by kaptink
Do this bike is a pipe bomb count as folk punk?
Yes
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Bomb the Music Industry! has some pretty good acoustic stuff

and the Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution are fantastic!
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
12 Crass Songs by Jeffery Lewis is genius.

I DL'd that a few days ago. It was a huge disappointment to me. I love Crass, and I love anti-folk. But he didn't do a good job on it imo.

Also, I love Against me!, TBIAPB, and Defiance, Ohio.
so, me and my friend are gonna do a acoustic thing... i gotta get a harmonica and some bongos...and talk about how much i hate the government...and ****.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Page 1 of 2