Hey guys what's up. I need some advice from yall. I am wanting to buy a good tube amp to use for metal. I have a Schecter C-1 hellraiser with EMG's. I am looking for something around $500-$900. I'll buy used or new I don't care as long as i get a good amp. I don't care if it's a stack or a combo amp. I just want some suggestions. Thanks!
Try Randall RG and Laney VC combos, and the Ashdown Fallen Angels are great too
If you're lucky you might be able to get a used Mesa or ENGL combo
ohai little sig.
used 5150/6505

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Don't care too much about the cleans, but of course a little bit. I mean if I spend that much money on something, it better be good all around. As for what kinda metal, I play a bunch of random stuff. Killswitch, Lamb of God, Parkway Drive, All that Remains stuff like that. I don't know if that helps.
The Ashdown Fallen Angel's kind of carried a bad reputation for being unreliable. I would strongly recommend a Traynor YCS100, however it's a head that will eat your entire budget. If you can obtain enough money for a cab, it might be the way to go. Otherwise the 5150/6505 is a good option. Also, the Bugera's seem to be getting good reviews thus far (though no one's had an opportunity to test to long term reliability thus far).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
for the bands you mention, the 5150/6505 is the way to go.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
My friend mentioned something about a Crate amp. Something like a XXL or something. Im not sure if that's the exact name. I've played a EVH 5150 combo and that thing was really cool. I didn't get to mess with it cuz it wasn't mine, but i liked it.
XXL? the xxl is a peavey and if I am right it is a ss.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
5150/6505 used.
No contest.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
There are SO many options out there. When you ask this question, you will get the same response over and over. Everyone loves Peavey in here. I am not saying Peavey is bad, by no means am I saying that, but you could look at a lot of different stuff. A JCM 800 combo could be had in your price range. There are lots of stuff. Traynors are something you could look at, Mesa combos are in play. there are tons of stuff out there. Not sure where you live, but you really need to go play some. Do not ask someone what they want, get what YOU want.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
^^ Thanks for the thoughtful input.

I'm not gonna let these guy's opinions effect me too much. I just want to get a good foundation and some good ideas. I will try any amp before i buy it obviously. I live in the U.S. so it's not gonna be that big of a deal. Keep em coming.
Well take the opinions, go to youtube and listen to clips and also check out reviews on harmonycentral or other sites like that. Then when you walk into the store, you will be informed and then can narrow your choices down some.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
How many of you have played a 5150? It really isnt for EVERY type of metal out there.
Id recommend a used Mesa Single Rectifier Combo. It ifts at around the upper range of your budget if you know where to look, and will give you GORGEOUS cleans as well
Quote by nedthehead
How many of you have played a 5150? It really isnt for EVERY type of metal out there.

I would say it can come DAMN close.
Check my review of it at the end of the week
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
try a laney vc30 with a od/dist pedal although if you can find and/or affor a mesa you wont find much else better
That laney seems to be quite unreliable. My friend is going to bring over his xxx head and im gonna try that out. He also has a 5150 combo that i am going to try out. What are the major differences between the two? From what I've read it seems the xxx is more veratile. It seems to me that I can find the xxx's cheaper. If I did that, i could get a new cab loaded with some v30's!!!!
I'd reccmoend either the Peavey 5150/6505 or a good Marshall. The Peavey's are really good for harder metal, they have more gain than you'll ever need, and theyre a very dark sounding amp. Although I havent ever tuned down on one, I hear they're great at handling drop tunings like C or D etc. On the other hand, I think a Marshall JCM is perfecr for my sound. I play metal too, but it's mostly all 80's ****, so the Marshall works alot better for me cause it's alot brighter sounding and the tone it gives cant even be compared to. It'd work for more modern, harder metal but you'd have to use a pedal or something, maybe even an EQ if you want it totally perfect. If you look more into this, get a JCM800 or a JCM900, dont bother with the 2000's. You should definitly be able to find a used (prabobly only slightly though) combo for up to $900. You might even find a good stack, I found my 100w JCM900 2100 MkIII along with the 1960A all for $800.

Basically, I'm saying that the 5150/6505 should be able to handle what you need straight out of the box, but overall I still think Marshall is a better choice IF you're willing/able to put some more money into it for pedals and things like that. The tone on a Marshall is way better than on a 5150/6505 in my opinion, but go to a shop and try them out for yourself if you can, you be the judge on how they sound.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
dude in your case it's a no-brainer - used 5150 is the way to go.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder
6505/5150. End.

Btw, I would bet all my worldly possesions on everyband you mentioned using this head at some point in their careers. Probably still use em.

Chimaira used them when they toured late last year with Lamb of God.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
I would go with the Peavey if you looking for something cheap, on the more expensive side Mesa. The bands he listed primarily use 5150's, 6505's 6505+'s or Mesa's like MarkIV's and Roadsters.

Killswitch uses. Framus Cobras now, i think they used 6505's before
All that remains uses, 6505+'s
Lamb of God uses, Mark IV's and a Roadster

So i would say go with an american voiced amp instead of a british voiced which would be the reason most people on here did not suggest the JCM 800. Modern sounding bands are generally using modern american voiced amps..
Quote by zoomzilla
There are SO many options out there. When you ask this question, you will get the same response over and over. Everyone loves Peavey in here. I am not saying Peavey is bad, by no means am I saying that, but you could look at a lot of different stuff. A JCM 800 combo could be had in your price range. There are lots of stuff. Traynors are something you could look at, Mesa combos are in play. there are tons of stuff out there. Not sure where you live, but you really need to go play some. Do not ask someone what they want, get what YOU want.

Well for one. the jcm 800 is a great amp. But not what he is looking for. It just doesnt have the low end. As for mesa's it depends on what model your looking at. I believe the only models in hes price range are the F-series. Once again great amp. But theirs a reason why they arent used for heavy metal etc.

He asked for suggestions, and by far for hes price range the 6505 is the best and I would hope hes smart enough to hopefully play it and not buy on someone elses ears. But in this case seeing as the bands use those amps he would be playing it safe.

And tbh youtube isnt a great way to jugde either.
I have narrowed down my choices to either the 6505/5150 combo or the XXX Combo. I really have no need for 100+ friggin watts. And I think I can find a used combo pretty cheap (I can save for another guitar!!). And i'm a pretty big dude so carrying a combo amp around isn't that big of a deal. Now I just need to play these bad boys! But i think i'm leaning towards the 6505.
I love my rect-o-verb and got it for like $800, I havnt played any amp that sounds better.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Quote by False_God
Well for one. the jcm 800 is a great amp. But not what he is looking for. It just doesnt have the low end. As for mesa's it depends on what model your looking at. I believe the only models in hes price range are the F-series. Once again great amp. But theirs a reason why they arent used for heavy metal etc.

He asked for suggestions, and by far for hes price range the 6505 is the best and I would hope hes smart enough to hopefully play it and not buy on someone elses ears. But in this case seeing as the bands use those amps he would be playing it safe.

And tbh youtube isnt a great way to jugde either.

I don't think I said to judge, I said to listen to get an idea as to what it sounds like. If you were the play a Marshall MG on youtube or a JCM800, I think you can pretty much tell which one is better.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
I don't think I said to judge, I said to listen to get an idea as to what it sounds like. If you were the play a Marshall MG on youtube or a JCM800, I think you can pretty much tell which one is better.

+1 on the youtube bit

Yup, thats how i got an idea of what cab and setup will suite me best. Also i could tell what tone i was going for. Listened to a guy cranking a valveking combo and another guy running a 5150 on a marshall cab and decided i liked the sound of both so i purchased them...

And my rig is almost complete now... From some other your tube video purchases... I actually rather them then company demos becasue they never tell you there demoing the stuff using a Moddified hand wired Marshall vintage amp made by the gods. Example "Check out this pedal its 50 bucks can you believe the sound coming out of it you would swear its a Vintage Moddified hand wired Marshall".... God i hate that.. Atleast on youtube your like ok yup thats the amp i have and thats the pedal or effect and sound i want...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by nedthehead
Id recommend a used Mesa Single Rectifier Combo. It ifts at around the upper range of your budget if you know where to look, and will give you GORGEOUS cleans as well
I have a 6505 and have demo'd just about every Mesa amp in current production. The 5150/6505s are just the best bang-for-the-buck metal amps out there. Kinda like a poor man's Framus Cobra. Personally, I didn't find that Mesas are very good for "chunka-chunka" palm mutes, but they do sound great on leads, and likely do kick the 5150/6505's ass on cleans.

My preference, instead, for a Mesa-ish kinda tone, would be the rather pricey Soldano SLO (or its stripped-down cousin, the Soldano Avenger). Then again, a Mesa Dual-Recto is about half the price of an SLO.

Also, I believe the 5150/6505s are one of the best-sounding amps at low to moderate volumes (as are the Cobras, and the Soldanos), since its preamp stage has gain up the ass. The most common complaint about the 5150/6505s is that they can get a bit "fizzy" and undefined, if the preamp gain is turned up anywhere past '7.' But if you like high-gain amps, the 5150/6505 does the trick for not a whole lot of money.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Feb 13, 2008,
Quote by LEVEL4
I have a 6505 and have demo'd just about every Mesa amp in current production. The 5150/6505s are just the best bang-for-the-buck metal amps out there. Kinda like a poor man's Framus Cobra. Personally, I didn't find that Mesas are very good for "chunka-chunka" palm mutes, but they do sound great on leads, and likely do kick the 5150/6505's ass on cleans.

My preference, instead, for a Mesa-ish kinda tone, would be the rather pricey Soldano SLO (or its stripped-down cousin, the Soldano Avenger). Then again, a Mesa Dual-Recto is about half the price of an SLO.

Also, I believe the 5150/6505s are one of the best-sounding amps at low to moderate volumes (as are the Cobras, and the Soldanos), since its preamp stage has gain up the ass. The most common complaint about the 5150/6505s is that they can get a bit "fizzy" and undefined, if the preamp gain is turned up anywhere past '7.' But if you like high-gain amps, the 5150/6505 does the trick for not a whole lot of money.

wrong the carvin v3 is best bang for buck and can be cheaper used than a 6505
Quote by nedthehead

I own a 5150. Generally if you take the time to mess with the resonance and presence controls with a bit of EQing you can get about any modern metal tone you want. I've played other Mesas and such, and they just don't cut it for me for some reason. They lack the balls the 5150/6505 have in my opinion.

The 5150s are built like rocks, I dunno about the 6505s but my 5150 is older than me and still running very well. Maybe take one in when you get it just to have it retubed and the pots cleaned, etc. but after that you won't need to change anything on it for like a year.

You could probably find a 5150 combo for anywhere between $450-$600 on eBay, and a 6505 head for around $700-$800. Also check craigslist.

Edit: And many of the bands the TS mentioned use or have used 5150's or 6505's in the studio and live before.
Quote by Raaaaar
wrong the carvin v3 is best bang for buck and can be cheaper used than a 6505
Never played a Carvin V3.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

when I was looking for an amp, my budget was about $1100-1200, and even in that price range the best metal tone in my opinion is that of 5150. I like the combo sound a little better than amp + whatever cab, but I dind't hear 5150 amp + 5150 camp combination so maybe that's comparable or better.
price wise - been watching them combos on eBay for a month or so.
mint ones (no scratches etc) go for $600-700.
slightly banged up - 550-600.
plus shipping. which is another 75-125 cuz the thing is like 90 lbs.
just fyi.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder
Quote by LEVEL4
Never played a Carvin V3.

i own a 5150 and a carvin and only use the 5150 for overdubbing because its just too gritty and
harsh on its own
I'd say look at the carvin for sure. It sounds great and has loads of features.

Another one that people who have tried seem to like is the bugera 6262, essentially an inexpensive copy of a 5150

Note: I'm not going to straigt up recommend the bugera, because I haven't acutally played it, I'm just throwing out the idea.