Hey guys. Basically payday is tomorrow and I can finally change the old tubes out of me amp (got it used last month with 4 years old tubes in it). Anyway it came with 6L6/5881 (however you wanna say it) tubes so I emailed Marshall to see if EL34s would be ok to use in it. They replied with this:
"You need 5881 valves in the amplifier you have or you can have it modified to take EL34s if you would like to have it modified we can do that here at the factory for you. Please contact the returns department on 01908 375411 if you would like to arrange this."
Now I don't fancy sending my amp off to their factory because whos knows when I'll get it back and I need it for band pracs etc. Anyway my question is would a general amp tech be able to mod it to take EL34s for me, or do I have to send it to Marshall anyway?
Cheers
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's just the bias that needs to be changed, any amp tech could do that. You know that switching from 6L6s to EL34s will give you a diffrent sound right?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Generally it only needs a bias adjustment, but depending upon certain other factors there may be additional modifications needed.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by KnarkoV
You know that switching from 6L6s to EL34s will give you a diffrent sound right?

That's the whole idea mate lol.

Well I thought it was just bias aswell but Marshall didn't really make it clear in their E-Mail. I think I might just go find an amp tech and ask, I'd think most will know.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
^ Marshall will most likely charge you out of your ass for doing it. But some amps can and some cant.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
^ Marshall will most likely charge you out of your ass for doing it. But some amps can and some cant.

Hence why I'm gonna ask a techy first.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Sorry "Cpt State The Obvious" strikes again...
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Any tech should be able to do it- I'd get the screen resistors changed and the amp biased, that should be it.