I hate you. I want one of those combo's.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i was actually lookin into getting a peavy head but im not so sure on which one
Quote by nebiru
I hate you. I want one of those combo's.

I don't quite have it bro, but need to know what to get with it as I am saving up >;]

I have 80% of the amount of money of the 6505 combo wont have enough for other stuff before long, but your post didn't really help me now did it?
Quote by xWhitechapelx
I don't quite have it bro, but need to know what to get with it as I am saving up >;]

I have 80% of the amount of money of the 6505 combo wont have enough for other stuff before long, but your post didn't really help me now did it?

I don't know what you would need. From all I have heard out of that amp you don't really need any distortion.. then again I haven't personally actually played one yet.
Quote by nebiru
I don't know what you would need. From all I have heard out of that amp you don't really need any distortion.. then again I haven't personally actually played one yet.

need grit boost and power attenator for lower volumes silly but duno what ones to get :P

hear Maxon OD-808 and THD hotplate 16 OHM is good
Quote by xWhitechapelx
need grit boost and power attenator for lower volumes silly but duno what ones to get :P

hear Maxon OD-808 and THD hotplate 16 OHM is good

Alot of bands are using those Maxon 808's. I don't know what a THD hotplate is.. I will have to check it out. You are into alot of bands that I am so I'm sure you are probably going for the same tone as me.
Quote by nebiru
Alot of bands are using those Maxon 808's. I don't know what a THD hotplate is.. I will have to check it out. You are into alot of bands that I am so I'm sure you are probably going for the same tone as me.

yeah, THD saturates your tubes for lower volumes and is also a noise gate
I don't see the point of getting either of those. Peavey amps (especially 5150's and 6505's) usually sound best with their preamps pushed, making the hotplate moderatly useless. They're more for getting a little extra bite at giging volume than getting ultra tube saturation at bedroom volume.

An 808 can add mids, tighten gain, and push tubes. None of these functions do much for a 6505. I really think you'd be better off spending money on spare tubes, a footswitch, and some fuses, if you insist on spending something else.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

An 808 can add mids, tighten gain, and push tubes. None of these functions do much for a 6505.

Actually, many 6505 users boost their amps with 808s...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I don't see the point of getting either of those. Peavey amps (especially 5150's and 6505's) usually sound best with their preamps pushed, making the hotplate moderatly useless. They're more for getting a little extra bite at giging volume than getting ultra tube saturation at bedroom volume.

An 808 can add mids, tighten gain, and push tubes. None of these functions do much for a 6505. I really think you'd be better off spending money on spare tubes, a footswitch, and some fuses, if you insist on spending something else.

amp needs to get lower volume too I live in apartment, but I gig often, so the attenator would help and the maxon OD-808 would be an insane boost as many artist use
The Weber mass is apaprantly a v. good attenuator if you're looking to get one for your 6505.
I'm looking to buy an EQ pedal and either an OD or booster for my 6505+ head.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
If you need lower volume, use the volume knob. Or spend the Hotplate money on a Microcube, for practice situations. A good amp will sound good at low volumes, it'll just sound better once you start bakeing the power tubes. Which isn't too much of a big deal in that amp anyway; there's a reason there's 5 bleeding 12AX7's in the preamp.

I just hate the mentality that you "need" to buy other tosh when you buy a new amp. Why not buy an amp that you like as it is, without excessive embelishment?

I'm very sorry that my opinion differed from your own. I'll try not to post in your threads anymore.
Why not buy it, play it, then figure out what you want after? If anything. Figure out your needs after, before spending all your money.
Last edited by kiefermatot at Feb 11, 2008,
I wouldn't waste money on an attenuator for a 6505. It sounds just fine a low levels. Most of its gain comes from the preamp stage anyway. If anything, get the OD-808 to tighten up it's sound at lower and higher volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you need lower volume, use the volume knob. Or spend the Hotplate money on a Microcube, for practice situations. A good amp will sound good at low volumes, it'll just sound better once you start bakeing the power tubes. Which isn't too much of a big deal in that amp anyway; there's a reason there's 5 bleeding 12AX7's in the preamp.

I just hate the mentality that you "need" to buy other tosh when you buy a new amp. Why not buy an amp that you like as it is, without excessive embelishment?

I'm very sorry that my opinion differed from your own. I'll try not to post in your threads anymore.

a microcube?? haha?? No, I like Tube sounds, furthermore you were just going on, on things in which did not make to much sense. the Attentator is to make the tubes work hard and saturate for a relatively low volume, the Maxon OD-808 would be used as a boost along with an EQ to get a GOD tone

P.S I play in Drop-A which gives you an idea on my music genre

^^ but I'll just stick to Peavey 6505 Combo with Maxon OD-808
I'm just throwing in my opinion into the same wicker basket as the spine smurfs. I agree 100% with his idears and would subscibe to his newsletter if availible.
You deffinantly do not need the hot plate, and this amp is pretty loud, im looking into a maxon 808 too, but im trying to find something that doesnt boost the mids so much, its pretty middy amp
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
both items are good to get with the 6505. the maxon would tigthen up the low end when it's cranked, and the hotplate will allow you to cap the volume for practice.