Okay, so I have a Dot that I love the feel and looks of, but not so much the sound. I think the BKP's I have were a big improvement over the stock pickups but they still aren't quite right.

The bridge is too shrill and isn't balanced that well with the neck. And for the money I paid I was pretty much hoping for perfection.

Now it might be my amp or some other factor I haven't thought of, but I'd still expect a bit better than this.

So, if I do go down the route of new pickupsI'm considering a Swineshead Condor set. I love their sound , and they fit right in with what I want to play (indie, jazz, a lot of clean or lightly overdriven).

Thoughts on my ideas?

Cheers
which BKP's do you have now? If we are going to tell you were to go we need to know exactly where you are now.
Not taking any online orders.
^with or without covers?

a cordor will be brighter than a stormy monday that has a cover. If it were me, I'd try using 250K pots instead of 500K. The stormy monday is a bright pickup and the 250K pots will help soften the edges. If that isn't enough then add a cover if it doesn't already have one, and because it proabably does already have a nickel cover, try swapping it for chrome. Chrome covers darken your tone a lot more than nickel.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 12, 2008,
With covers.

I was thinking about what I could do to the general electronics to help with this, I'll definately get that done when I get my Dot overhauled then. But I'm still not sure, the pups are still unbalanced. Like, when I get the neck just jangly enough while still being clear and punchy the bridge is completely cutting and actually slightly painful to listen to.

I know BKP's are generally seen as being excellent, and I have no doubt they are, but might Swinesheads just be better for me? Or are there likely to be other factors affecting my tone to a greater extent?

So it's not that the pickups are just to bright? It's that the bridge is too much brighter than the neck so switching between the two doesn't work well?

In that case the condor might be good for you, but be sure you get it with covers.
Yeah, it's so off balance that I'm thinking about getting the guy who's looking a tit to make sure that the (different) guy would fitted the BKP's actually got them the right way round!

And the volume balance is also wrong. The neck, when tapped, is still louder than the bridge in full bucker mode.
It's very possible that whoever fitted it wired it rather wrong...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I had a similar prob with a dimarzio in my ESP. It was fitted by one local tech and when i got it back it sounded thin just like you described. Another tech was consulted and the pots and cap were changed out which fixed the problem.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by SugarRush66
Yeah, it's so off balance that I'm thinking about getting the guy who's looking a tit to make sure that the (different) guy would fitted the BKP's actually got them the right way round!

And the volume balance is also wrong. The neck, when tapped, is still louder than the bridge in full bucker mode.

There is something wrong there. Perhaps you are right and they guy just put the pickups in backward. Volume is often slightly lower in the bridge but it shouldn't be that much lower. If your pickups are in the right way around then It's also possible that there is a broken in your bridge pickup. Sometimes when the wire in the pickup breaks (typically this happens when the person installing the pickups tugs on the hookup wire) the pickups capacitance will make it so you still get sound but it'll filter out all of your bass and mids so the volume is low and it sounds shrill.
If you have a multimeter you could test it and see. Set your pickup switch to the bridge pickup, turn the volume and tone controlls all the way up, plug a lead into your guitar, then you can test resistance from the other end of the lead. It should ready at around 7.4 to 7.8K If it reads significantly higher than that you have a broken wire and if it reads significantly lower than that you have a short.