Page 1 of 2
If so how do they do it?

I am not talking about buying you stuff, parents can buy you all the gear in the world and not give you a word of encouragment.

Is it a common occurence for parents to not even aknowledge you playing an instrument?
i dont like it when mum or dad walks in on me playing guitar and they say "wow thats good"
idk why, it justs bugs me.
yeah my mom gives me the money i need to travel and to go to my practices and other stuff
They encourage my piano, but I don't hear much about my guitar playing. I don't think they're into metal...
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
If youre parents dig metal half the point is gone. It rebelious man! The day the music stops shocking people were gonna have a standstill.
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
man i didnt get anything from my parents when i started. I just bought a cheap acoustic and learned off of that for awhile. Then blew my Scholarship money in college on an Electric and Amp
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by flipthatchicken
i dont like it when mum or dad walks in on me playing guitar and they say "wow thats good"

same
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
my parents drive me to the musicstore
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Yeah, my parents encourage me to keep playing guitar. They pay for my lessons as well.
Quote by flipthatchicken

Same here too, but they tell me to shut up when somebody is visiting
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
My dad played guitar for years. I picked it up because a friend encouraged me to. We play like....every song together, my dad and I. I try to learn a song a day and when he hears me play some song that he really digs, he comes up and it turns into a 3 hours jam. We play mostly Satriani stuff, its a bit too hard for my band mates =P. He plays acoustic, bass, clarinet, trumpet, sax (every kind), some violin, and some drums...and piano. Its retarded how good he is on the other stuff, but im better at guitar

My mom is like, "I love to hear you play dillan, just dont play between 1am and 12:58am....ok? You might wake the neighbors with your.....whats that called? An acoustic geetar?" Yea, my moms persian, so you can expect her to be a little......."WTF?" with everything.
if there is a ligiment reason, They will buy me almost anything related to it
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
yep. they bought me a guitar and a piano and they pay for the lessons so ... i guess they do support me.
yes, they support me as long as i dont low my grads at school, as long as i keep being in the top places at the school they will support me, they have already bought me a guitar, drums set and a small keyboard, i practise everyday, and they dont get annoyed with the noise
Last edited by G.a.c.771 at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by Zero_Mike
They encourage my piano, but I don't hear much about my guitar playing. I don't think they're into metal...

same here. They like it when I play classical music on the piano, but are always demanding that I turn the volume down on the amp. And it's really awkward when my parents ask me what the song I'm playing is called. Not Cannibal Corse type stuff, but it's really weird unless I'm playing songs from Opeth's album Damnation. That beautiful music can be appreciated by anyone. Anyway...

I can't say that they've supported me in guitar too much. I bought everything myself. I have to pay for lessons. Everything. I started with guitar kind of late (age 12, self taught the whole time), and they think that there's no way that I can try music as a career this late in the game. I'm going to prove them wrong.

Quote by flipthatchicken

That comment makes me feel like they're hovering over me while I play or something. And given my fair amount of skill on guitar (roughly intermediate), literally any non-guitarist thinks I'm really good. The words themselves are nice, but it's all just shallow flattery in my mind. Makes me nervous.
Last edited by rockergurl09 at Feb 11, 2008,
My parents support my musicianship as I am enrolled in University for my BA in Music...

They always have supported me in music too, encouraging me and allowing for me to take any opportunities there is in music.
Quote by ixelion
If so how do they do it?

I am not talking about buying you stuff, parents can buy you all the gear in the world and not give you a word of encouragment.

Is it a common occurence for parents to not even aknowledge you playing an instrument?

They don't.
But they have nothing against it... Except for when I play late at night...... -__-
Holy S H I T! I can HEAR how ugly you are.

Also, would you like to take a shower in my Gleek?

___

Music is life!

___

Quote by Kensai

I like my ramen noodles like I like my women: Devoid of any taste lying lifeless in a body of water.
My dad bought me a guitar when I was 7. I was like, "Go f*** yourself." Now I realize he was just trying to get me into music (which he did when I was 10 with the trumpet and later with drums.) My whole family plays music, but I seem to be the slacker. Their music theory seems flawless and it's hard to keep up with them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Yeah. My dad lets our band practice in the house as loud as we want, and lets me use all his equipment.

My mom paid for me to take piano, guitar, and French horn lessons for 9, 4, and 6 years respectively. I really regret how much I took that stuff for granted. I really wish I'd applied myself more.
They love it. My dad's a musician himself, and mom loves music....
Besides buying me stuff, they compliment me all the time, I play with my dad a lot, and they encouraged me to get a band going before I even thought I should.

They're fab. :thumbsup:
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
So do you guys think that family support whether it's financial, encouraging words, motivation or any other kind of support is important? Does it affect your confidence in anyway?
Quote by rockergurl09
That comment makes me feel like they're hovering over me while I play or something. And given my fair amount of skill on guitar (roughly intermediate), literally any non-guitarist thinks I'm really good. The words themselves are nice, but it's all just shallow flattery in my mind. Makes me nervous.

I feel the same.

It may be the fact that nobody around here has the patience to sit and work and practice for hours, I don't know. I'm a Hell of a lot better now, and nobody's even seen that yet, so I'm sort of dreading the comments.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
my father always wanted to be in a band but he didnt had the time when he was younger.

So he is 200% whit me.

Can u take me to ___ home ? Sure

Can i buy this pedal ? Sure

Can i stay at home and play guitar? Hell no.

lol + my father is a big zepplin,sabbath,deep purple fan.
Quote by Hcmanu
my father always wanted to be in a band but he didnt had the time when he was younger.

So he is 200% whit me.

Can u take me to ___ home ? Sure

Can i buy this pedal ? Sure

Can i stay at home and play guitar? Hell no.

lol + my father is a big zepplin,sabbath,deep purple fan.

+ EXTREMLY big pink floyd fan
Yes... especially if I play songs they recognise!
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
When I used to play electric, they really didn't want it to be more than a hobby, but now that I've changed to Classical, they know it has academic merits, and that I could make a decent living off of it.
My dad opens my door and listens which bugs me a lot. They dont tell me to turn it down they just listen at my door.
I am quite confident mother supports my playing an instrument along with my aspiration to make a career out of music. Though I'm confident that shedoes not support my forming a black metal band.

Though she never encourages me and compliments my playing I'm sure she backs me up. Even if she didn't, do you think I'd care? No.

Father turns the TV down and tries to listen to me play but I usually have the volume lowered to the point in which only I can hear me play. I'm not a fan of anyone listeing or watching. My guitar teacher, though, is an exception.
Last edited by Teufel at Feb 11, 2008,
My parents are entirely un-supportive Sure, they buy me stuff, but they have never even once said anything like "Oh, that's good."

My dad frankly pisses me off, too. You know, the usual stuff. Listening to some Queen in the car, saying "Bet you can't play that. Amazing playing. Best there is." while I'm forced to sit there thinking "Yes, yes I can play this, and it's really quite easy..."
No they don't... but they should!! I work in a studio, I used to give classes and I often work as a session player. I didn't fail at life as a musician, it really bothers me that they can't see that.

I think it's because I have never played for them.
Quote by darkstar2466
Heart attack due to cocaine use at an old age. You'll live long, but you'll die just like old Thunderfingers.
It would be awesome to die like my hero, thanks!

Quote by stanleybach
You are going to make a lot of people in this thread very happy.

oh damn
Quote by The Madcap
and that I could make a decent living off of it.

Because nobody has ever made money with electric guitar, right?
Yeah, my family is very music influanced(sp?)
2 sisters play flute
1 sister plays french horn/any woodwind instrument
Brother sings/screams and plays tuba
My dad mainly play trumpet but can play ANY other instrument(including guitar and bass). He plays jazz/ blues but mostly polkas with his band
I am like my dad but two differences, I HATE Polka, and my main instruments are tenor sax, bass, and guitar.
Quote by Vermintide
My dad frankly pisses me off, too. You know, the usual stuff. Listening to some Queen in the car, saying "Bet you can't play that. Amazing playing. Best there is." while I'm forced to sit there thinking "Yes, yes I can play this, and it's really quite easy..."

i know the feeling of that oh too well

i found the best thing to do
IS TEACH THEM TO PLAY IT

either that or go home learn it and play it at 2x speed

until they get to the point of, hey lets learn this
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Page 1 of 2