I have recently started a band and the other guy in my band uses a MT-2 zone.. it does sound tiny but beats the distortion on my randall rd75

I play metal ie parkway drive killswitch as daylight dies

Im buying off ebay... im looking at importing a mesa boogie dual recto
or buying a 5150 combo that has come up...

I like to play in my spare time some light rock / clean stuff
and i know the 5150 has a reputation for not so good cleans

I neeed to save up abit more for the mesa and just buy a Boss distortion factory for now or i could buy the peavey 5150 combo...

Any suggestions?

P.S - Since the day i saw the mesa boogie recto i wanted one, the chrome plate is dam sexy. Ohh and i have to travel about an hour if i want to try them out...
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Last edited by gface at Feb 11, 2008,
if you can afford the recto, get it, as for the 5150, it's cleans are ok, but i more use the clean channel when i play on as more as a bluesy overdrive
but the mark IV is so ugly.. everyone goes on about them... they dont look tough
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Do you really need a diamond plate metal head to be br00talz? If so, you need to get your priorities straight and come back when you are serious about tone.

Plus, you can just hide the Mark IV in a br00talz looking recto encolsure.
Who cares how ugly it is? Would you rather have a great sounding amp thats fugly, or a ****ty sounding amp that looks good (Marshall MG series anyone?).
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
Quote by gface
but the mark IV is so ugly.. everyone goes on about them... they dont look tough

That's no reason not to like an amp.
can it seriously do metal though?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
So get the Distortion pedal + ISP decimator
and keep saving up for a good amp?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
So get the Distortion pedal + ISP decimator
and keep saving up for a good amp?

Yes. IF you can last a month or two until you get the last amp you'll ever need, you will be glad you did.

Also, if you get a metal dist, get the metal muff. Not as good as people hear will tell you but it sure beats the hell out of the metal zone IMO.
If you get the dual rec, get a tube screamer. do not get some digitized distortion POS. Even the Bad Monkey is a digitized overdrive pedal. If you wanted to go cheap on the pedal, you could get a danelectro daddy-O. that is the cheapest "Tube Screamer" out there that I can find. The BBE Green Screamer is supposed to be okay, the best one that I would recommend is the Maxon OD 808. Especially with the Dual rec. Also, as someone pointed out get the ISP decimator as well.

Now, to set the record straight on Dual recs and the Cleans. For some reason the effects loop greatly affects the clean tone. I will see if the noise gate helps any, but turn the loop off and the cleans are great, turn it on, and they are not so good. It could also have to do with another volume being added to the mix, or several actually. When you engage the loop, you have a seperate send and recieve knob for the loop, then a master output. When the loop is off, each channel is independently controlled by it's own master volume. All channels are still separated when the loop is off, but the whole amp is controlled by the output knob. I have not messed around with the clean channel enough to determine the sweet spot, but it probably could still be clean, but will require some tweaking. So bottom line, the rectifier does NOT have awful cleans, you just need to know what you are doing.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
thanks guys! the distortion factory has big muff in it.
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by zoomzilla
If you get the dual rec, get a tube screamer. do not get some digitized distortion POS. Even the Bad Monkey is a digitized overdrive pedal. If you wanted to go cheap on the pedal, you could get a danelectro daddy-O. that is the cheapest "Tube Screamer" out there that I can find. The BBE Green Screamer is supposed to be okay, the best one that I would recommend is the Maxon OD 808. Especially with the Dual rec. Also, as someone pointed out get the ISP decimator as well.

Now, to set the record straight on Dual recs and the Cleans. For some reason the effects loop greatly affects the clean tone. I will see if the noise gate helps any, but turn the loop off and the cleans are great, turn it on, and they are not so good. It could also have to do with another volume being added to the mix, or several actually. When you engage the loop, you have a seperate send and recieve knob for the loop, then a master output. When the loop is off, each channel is independently controlled by it's own master volume. All channels are still separated when the loop is off, but the whole amp is controlled by the output knob. I have not messed around with the clean channel enough to determine the sweet spot, but it probably could still be clean, but will require some tweaking. So bottom line, the rectifier does NOT have awful cleans, you just need to know what you are doing.

thanks for that it helped!
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
which has better distortion 5150 or mesa?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The Bad Monkey is analog, thank you very much.

Uh, I said Digitized, not Digital. Meaning the sound that it puts out is not organic sounding.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by gface

So pretty much you're basing what amp you want off of how cool it looks?

Quote by gface
thanks guys! the distortion factory has big muff in it.

It might have something that sounds like a Big Muff in it, but it's not a Big Muff. And that's not the same pedal as the Metal Muff. Stay away from Boss, seriously. Everyone new to playing thinks they're great when really they're often the worst pedals you can get for the price.

Quote by gface
which has better distortion 5150 or mesa?

Use the edit button, dear god.

I really don't like Rectos at all, there's much better sounding Mesas for the price (imo). But, that being said, I don't really like 5150s anymore either. They seem to work well for other people but when I had mine I just couldn't find a tone I was completely happy with.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i live in australia so its hard to find the metal muff
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
i live in australia so its hard to find the metal muff

Well the Big Muff is nothing like the Metal Muff. If I had to settle for something else I guess I'd probably go for a Keeley-modded MT-2 or *maybe* a Line 6 Ubermetal. *shrug*
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by zoomzilla

+1 on all of that.

I'll add that a lot of the negative comments about Rectifiers come down to bad EQ-ing. To be fair, they are absolute bastards to EQ - the knobs seem to do pretty much the opposite of what they're supposed to do. If you use your ears, and ignore common sense, Rectifiers can be dialled in to sound tight and cutting.

When choosing a tubescreamer to tighten up a metal tone, it's worth knowing that an expensive boutique one might actually be worse than the stock Ibanez or Maxon. The tightening effect occurs as a result of the stock tubescreamer circuit's poor bass response. For blues/rock applications this is generally considered an undesirable trait, and so the boutique and modified versions often aim to have a better bass response. Putting a Maxon OD808 next to my Keeley modded TS9, you can easily hear that the Maxon tightens the sound a lot more than the Keeley.