Hi all.

I want to have more of a G N' R type sound, Im using an Epiphone Les Paul plus top (all stock), Fender Deluxe 112 plus (You may say how are you going to get G N' R out of that!), but im using a Marshall Guv'nor 2 which is helping.

But anyway i would like to know whether getting some better pickups (Seymour Duncans as used by Slash) would help and HOW much it would help.

Thanks

KoolBeans!
Tone is broken up approximately like this:

80% Amp
15% Guitar (Wood etc.)
5% Pickups

So not a lot. But if you like what you've already got a lot and want to tweak your tone, they're a good bet.
^+1 new amp is the easiest way to improve tone

and 'seymour duncans ' wont make you sound liek slash, they make more then one type of p/u, slash uses alnico 2s i believe
Get the Alnico 2's(or is it 5's?) either or they're used by slash
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I'd have said pickups do a LOT more to your sound than your guitars wood. :s Completely agree that amp deos the most though!!
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Quote by Dithindious
I'd have said pickups do a LOT more to your sound than your guitars wood. :s Completely agree that amp deos the most though!!

Wood was the only thing I could really think of . But you'd be surprised how different neck woods differ in tone. Mostly though, I meant shape and size, like the difference between a hollow body and Ibanez.
Quote by stephen_rettie
^+1 new amp is the easiest way to improve tone

and 'seymour duncans ' wont make you sound liek slash, they make more then one type of p/u, slash uses alnico 2s i believe

LOL sorry i did mean those particular pickups not just in general.

Thanks for your replys!
Yo dude.

well its going to be pretty tricky without a Marshall amp, but i think you could get a pretty close sound to that of slash with a fender (especially with the Marshall Guv'nor 2). Certainly give the SD Alnico II Pros a test!
As you most certainly know the best way to know what pickups to want is by hearing them for yourself...although forums like this can be very helpful.

remember always try before you buy!!

I've most likely just stated the obvious here, but hope it helps.

oh yeah sorry for the similar name
Now thats some seriously harsh beans!