I have noticed a lot of threads on here (in fact , nearly every "I'm getting a tube amp for the first time thread) that mention the VK, and read the replies that the VK cannot do, or will struggle with, metal.

I want to put the record straight about this, because too many people seem to have the wrong idea. Yes it can. To prove it, I made a recording using my VK, playing some metal, and I think you'll agree there's more than enough gain. In fact, the gain dial is on 7 (out of 10).

The only effects I used were some reverb and delay.
If you're thinking of buying a VK, you might want to listen to also.

Btw, this really isn't to get my profile views up, or to show off. I just really want to get the message across (and I don't know any other sites that host music free ).

Thanks for reading and listening,

What pickups/guitar did u use? If u used high-output pickups, it probably would help getting metal out of that amp, since the higher power would push it more i think.
Wow.

I have a VK112, and though I've never even tried to play metal (It just doesn't interest me), that's pretty amazing. I didn't know it would do that. Could I get you to post the settings so I could give that a try?
Quote by qotsa1998
What pickups/guitar did u use? If u used high-output pickups, it probably would help getting metal out of that amp, since the higher power would push it more i think.

It's a Jackson DK2M with Seymour Duncans in it, I don't really know a lot about Duncans, but the one's i've got aren't active.

Quote by unix
Wow.

I have a VK112, and though I've never even tried to play metal (It just doesn't interest me), that's pretty amazing. I didn't know it would do that. Could I get you to post the settings so I could give that a try?

Sure:

Treble 7
Mid 4
Bass 9
Gain 7
Gain Boost: On

There was also, as mentioned, a small delay and some reverb. I didn't use the amps built in reverb however, as it sucks .
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
It's a Jackson DK2M with Seymour Duncans in it, I don't really know a lot about Duncans, but the one's i've got aren't active.

Sure:

Treble 7
Mid 4
Bass 9
Gain 7
Gain Boost: On

There was also, as mentioned, a small delay and some reverb. I didn't use the amps built in reverb however, as it sucks .

Ugh, scooped mids. Yucky.

But yeah, Valveking can do metal fine.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
i dont like it... sounds abit digital? bees in a can?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
Ugh, scooped mids. Yucky.

But yeah, Valveking can do metal fine.

Mids on 4 isn't that scooped though, is it? I've seen some people having mids totally cut.
Too much bass! Really muddy eurgh.
High strings at 28 secs are really ear-piercing.
Breakdown's a bit fizzy tbh.
Solo doesn't have enough mids/presence to it (probably because of the scooped mids) and is a bit weak/thin.
The main palm-muted riff isn't bad though- probably the best bit of the recording.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by gface
i dont like it... sounds abit digital? bees in a can?

I wouldn't say it sounds digital (can you hear the 1s and 0s?), but it does sound buzzy and thin.
Quote by mr_hankey
Is this what is considered good tone for metal?

no.

but i agree, the VK can do metal. i don't think i'd want one if i only played metal (unless i was on an extremely limited budget), but it can do it if it's not your only style.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mids on 4 isnt really scooped that much, but it still is bad.

The VK can handle metal great, the settings used just werent that great. The Gain Boost made the distortion too saturated and probably contributed to that bees-in-a-tin effect. Mids needed to be higher, bass needed to be lower.

I dont see how people think the VK cant handle metal. It has a MASSIVE amount of gain on tap.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by Yngwi3
Too much bass! Really muddy eurgh.
High strings at 28 secs are really ear-piercing.
Breakdown's a bit fizzy tbh.
Solo doesn't have enough mids/presence to it (probably because of the scooped mids) and is a bit weak/thin.
The main palm-muted riff isn't bad though- probably the best bit of the recording.

Well, tbh, the solo was pretty rushed, usually I'd take my time, but I had to go out and I was at it for 2 hours. Really I was just making a point that it has the gain power.

Edit: You really think it was fizzy? I really like that sound...
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Feb 11, 2008,
if you like the way it sounds thats kool, but i didnt find it that "metal" i dunno i guess it was it just didnt have wat i listen for in a good metal tone