At the moment there are sovtek el34G's in my jcm900 and i think there about 3 years old now and want to replace them and perhaps the pre amp valves

Im looking for some suggestions on a recommended type of el34s for metal and pre amps valves for metal. (the pre amp valves are all the same right?) im pretty new to this so would appreciate all advice Im looking for a very tight high gain sound

thanks for any help

Btw im looking to spend no more than £40/50 on power tubes and whatever amount for pre amp valves...i hear there pretty cheap

Also if anyone has any idea where i could find the bias readings for my marshall...like the default factory reading it should be at?

itd be handy if i could get them from watford valves aswell thanks
Last edited by Sora 01 at Feb 11, 2008,
eurotubes do jj's for a good price, you can get a set that are 10% higher gain aswell, it only costs about £50-£60 for a set including delivery from america
When I revalved my jcm 900, 4502, so 2x12 version of yours i went for JJ/Tesla E34Ls, from www.watfordvalves.co.uk (possibly .com, i can't remember) they're a little more high gain than standard EL34s, and have approx. 20% more power I think. There's a good outline of them on www.eurotubes.com/

Either way, I didn't chance the pre-amp valves, basicly, 'cause they didn't need changing. from what i've heard EHX are good on a budget, and then its valves from brands like Tung-sol that are worth looking at, but have a read of the "everything you need to know about tubes thread" at the top of the forum.

With the E34Ls compared to EL34s my amp sounds like a different beast, sounded very good before, now it just growls, chews up and spits out anything in its path, or it would do if it moved.... anyway, it sounds awesome. really gritty, dirty and heavy. Not metal by any means, but its not a metal amp. But it does get close. Especialy when cranked.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

well if you feel you can already get a metal tone out of it, you should probably try the E34Ls, 'cause they certainly make the amp sound a hell of a lot more metal, but not metal to my ears, though maybe you'd be better off with something like a tubescreamer if you want to tighten up your sound.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Quote by hairball
well if you feel you can already get a metal tone out of it, you should probably try the E34Ls, 'cause they certainly make the amp sound a hell of a lot more metal, but not metal to my ears, though maybe you'd be better off with something like a tubescreamer if you want to tighten up your sound.

lol got one but good advice :P nah i dont wanna use the tubescreamer all the time tbh...just need a Tinyyyyyyy little bit more natrual gain and i wouldnt need it because the emg81s in my esp and the amp together on there own has enough gain to do like...metallica or...megadeth

But just not enough for like chimaira and shizzle that i play so i think i might check out those el34L's
well, i definitely reccomend them, might wana check what pre amp valves come in the eurotubes high gain set, i think its 12ax7s, and just make sure you've got them through your pre amp, if you have, and they haven't blown, there's not a huge point in getting rid of them really. but i highly reccomend the E34Ls. great valves.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Quote by hairball
well, i definitely reccomend them, might wana check what pre amp valves come in the eurotubes high gain set, i think its 12ax7s, and just make sure you've got them through your pre amp, if you have, and they haven't blown, there's not a huge point in getting rid of them really. but i highly reccomend the E34Ls. great valves.

id rather get them from watford to be honest they seem to do same ones

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=842

that them? and arent just all pre amp valves the same? i heard that some where...id like to just change them over anyway
yea get them from watford valves, thats where mine came from. I was just saying check what preamp valves the hi gain set from eurotubes comes with. Not all preamp valves are the same no. But you're generally good with them until they blow. As for changing the valves, unless you're sure of what you're doing, take your amp to a tech and have them do it. much safer.

those are the JJ E34Ls I mentioned, but I will be going for the slightly more expensive Harma ones. No ideas what the differences are. but they seem slightly better, based on specs and the price suggests they'll be better made etc.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Excellent advice chaps, I've just been looking on the Watford Valves pages and found that I can get my JCM900 a bit "more metal" at the very reasonable price of about £70

Thanks so much
Ibanez MTM2, Bugera 6262 2x12 Combo
On preamp tubes... allot of us Z boys like the reissue Tung-Sol 12AX7's...
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=30034

Preamp tubes:
I find the reissue Tung-Sol 12AX7's to sound great in V1 of my MAZ even after comparing the tone with some more "hi-brow" tubes.
http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/tung-sol-reissue-12ax7
http://www.tubedepot.com/ts-12ax7.html
I just put a set of these in V1 and V2 my 2003 Maz Jr. NR 2x10. I use them in my 1x12, but this is the first time that I put them in the 2x10. These tubes sound sooooo good.

My favorite tube for V1 in my MAZ Jr. is the Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7, and I think I've tried about 15 various brands.
I put some new Shuguang EL34s in my 4102 and they sound great, dirt cheap too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification