ok so i got bored this weekend and decided i would build me a knife and i got the blade fully forged but for the handle i want to make it wood.is orange osage a good wood to use for it (wont crack easy,farely easy to work wiht?)im wandering because i know of people using this for other types of projects.
Never heard of that wood.

What did you use to make the blade? This dude around where I live makes them from those hardened steel files. They are BAD ASS and they get super super sharp and rarely break. He also makes some out of railroad spikes, they are equally as awesome.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Never heard of that wood.

What did you use to make the blade? This dude around where I live makes them from those hardened steel files. They are BAD ASS and they get super super sharp and rarely break. He also makes some out of railroad spikes, they are equally as awesome.

Files. wouldn't that be a particulary small knife?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
erm dude get someting better to do with your time perhaps? why would you want a knife? or better still why wouldnt you just by one if you need one?
B/C knife's are fun?
I'd use osage, it's a strong wood. Native Americans used to make bows out of it...
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by callum2903
erm dude get someting better to do with your time perhaps? why would you want a knife? or better still why wouldnt you just by one if you need one?

Mayeb he want's to do somthing contructive; I made a bench and I don't use it.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by kidsilcon
Files. wouldn't that be a particulary small knife?

No, some of those files are huge. I mean this kind of file...

It even has a knife punched out of it. He did his by hand though, obviously this person used a machine.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
red+neck
Wake up
Your hiding in your nightmares
Your screaming behind closed eyes
What the hell are you waiting for
Quote by kidsilcon
Mayeb he want's to do somthing contructive; I made a bench and I don't use it.

omg wht could u do thats constructive? get off your hick ass and play some music with people or play some gigs, or hell just get some m8s and dont make knifes the whole fucing time!
Quote by callum2903
omg wht could u do thats constructive? get off your hick ass and play some music with people or play some gigs, or hell just get some m8s and dont make knifes the whole fucing time!

Dude what the hell, the guy's allowed to make a life if he wants to. Who says he makes them "all the time?"

If you're just gonna sit in this thread moaning about knives then get out. It's not a debate on whether he should build it or not, he's asking for advice.

To TS: Any good, firm, durable wood is a good one, just make sure you finish it in a good way, so many wooden items are ruined because of a bad finish.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
That isn't a knife.

This is a knife.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by DanRev
I want to make my own knife too but I'm not a blacksmith.

Just pop down the local smithee, and follow the tutorial. [/runescape reference]
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by callum2903

and who are you to decide whats okay to do or not..? maybe he just wants to make a knife, let him.
Quote by callum2903

how is playing music constructive and building a knife isn't?

just because you don't see the pleasure in it doesn't mean that someone can't take pleasure out of it.

EDIT: ah I see you're a 15 year old drummer. That explains the typing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by rabidguitarist
That isn't a knife.

This is a knife.

...that's a sword...
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by rabidguitarist
That isn't a knife.

This is a knife.

...that's a movie prop...
Quote by Kid Fisto
...that's a sword...

Quote by AU79 XY
...that's a movie prop...

Couldn't help but laugh at the similar responses one right after the other.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
you can just use a spoon. Like file off the sides and make it pointy and sharp...and make sure to wrap it in tape at the handles
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by Lemoninfluence
how is playing music constructive and building a knife isn't?

just because you don't see the pleasure in it doesn't mean that someone can't take pleasure out of it.

EDIT: ah I see you're a 15 year old drummer. That explains the typing.

Erm **** you, you cannot make a judgement on someone based on their writing, or on the way they speak, and playing music is constructive as you are atchally making something unique, i am just saying that it is pretty wierd to make a knife imo and even wierder to ask questions on a guitar websdite about it even in the pit, but dont you dare make snap judgements about me ok? it is completly unfounded your opinion in this of me being 15 and a drummer, as you may know, dave grohl was 16 when he first toured with the band scream, and im sure he was perfectly knowlegdable of many matters, just an example, but yeh just shut the **** up dick face **** munching anal bleeding chav faced prick
Quote by callum2903
Erm **** you, you cannot make a judgement on someone based on their writing, or on the way they speak, and playing music is constructive as you are atchally making something unique, i am just saying that it is pretty wierd to make a knife imo and even wierder to ask questions on a guitar websdite about it even in the pit, but dont you dare make snap judgements about me ok? it is completly unfounded your opinion in this of me being 15 and a drummer, as you may know, dave grohl was 16 when he first toured with the band scream, and im sure he was perfectly knowlegdable of many matters, just an example, but yeh just shut the **** up dick face **** munching anal bleeding chav faced prick

...?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by callum2903

@bolded statement: a hand made one of a kind knife is unique and add the fact that it's physically tangible and you have an activity that is constructive.

also I think your last line shows me how wrong I was, I apologise
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I made a knife and a short sword once. I took a long thing of alluminum, and wrapped one end in a felt sheet, than wrapped metal wire around it to hold it on. Then, I took the edge to a bench grinder. I didn't get it that sharp, but it was fun to hit things with it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I'm trying to make a combat knife in our Metals class. We've just started the course, so I'm not very far yet, but I'd like to see the results of this.

I'm also making a lockpick set, but that isn't going well so far. The plasma torch is so unwieldy...

And flower pots. Huge metal flower pots.
Quote by callum2903

I am the Infantry.
lol didnt mean to cause anyoffence, i think i went over the top, but i was just getting kinda annoyed
Quote by callum2903
lol didnt mean to cause anyoffence, i think i went over the top, but i was just getting kinda annoyed

Its ok, I don't think people really noticed.
just keep playing it cool and no one will suspect a thing
Quote by zonko_zulio
Its ok, I don't think people really noticed.
just keep playing it cool and no one will suspect a thing

/not

but it's okay, we all get pissed at times.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by nebraskan
B/C knife's are fun?
I'd use osage, it's a strong wood. Native Americans used to make bows out of it...

teehee
you said Native American, ..
thank you
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Quote by callum2903
shut the **** up dick face **** munching anal bleeding chav faced prick

Quote by callum2903

Whos getting offended?
Quote by callum2903

Follow your own advice. If I recall, you called someone a dumbass hick (paraphrasing a bit, but oh well).
<Han> I love Hitler