I am going to build a tube amp. That being said, I don't have much experience with amp building, but I know how to solder and work with wires, caps, pots, and various other electronics. I'm looking to build a combo style amp around two 3 watt, 8 ohm speakers I got from a broken boom box. If anyone could post links, etc, pointing me in the right direction, That'd be great.

A few more questions:

If my speakers are both 3 watts, could the amp powering them be a maximum of 3 or 6 watts? As in, is the wattage of the amp the wattage of the lowest wattage speaker or of the wattages of the speakers combined? (I hope that sentence wasn't so complex that it was completely unintelligible.)

Are there any more parts from the boom box that may be helpful in this or other projects? The only thing that's broken is the CD player part.

What would the total cost for this project look like?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Good luck, i would say the maximum would be 3W tho, because they usually put the maximum output rating on that kind of stuff
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
3w speakers are usually quite small aren't they? If they are any smaller then 6" or maybe even 8", don't expect any good sound out of them.

Also, if you want to build an amp 'because you have some of the parts anyway', don't bother. Speakers like that are no good for guitar, and you won't really be saving much money anyway.
Personally, I think it's a bad idea for a first-time amp builder to build a tube amp. If you make a mistake in building a tube amp, it can KILL you. Also, I agree with mr_hankey. You'd prolly do better to start with a little easy SS amp. I have a schem for a Marshall MS-2 I can PM you, if interested. It's a little 9v-powered amp.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm nay-saying. I just don't want you to get electrocuted.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 11, 2008,
All makes good sense to me. Thanks for the input guys.
Jim, that schematic sounds like a good starter amp project, so if you could send it to me that'd be great.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Quote by Invader Jim
Personally, I think it's a bad idea for a first-time amp builder to build a tube amp. If you make a mistake in building a tube amp, it can KILL you. Also, I agree with mr_hankey. You'd prolly do better to start with a little easy SS amp. I have a schem for a Marshall MS-2 I can PM you, if interested. It's a little 9v-powered amp.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm nay-saying. I just don't want you to get electrocuted.

can you PM tht to me?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Mmm, I aint't got it. Could you try resending? Thanks though, a good schem would be really helpful, even for a tiny amp.

EDIT: spelling
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Last edited by PimpedOutSquier at Feb 25, 2008,
While I build mini solid-states and pedals and whatnot to gain experience, what would be a good, cheap tube amp I could use in the meantime?I don't have a good one. I'm thinking 15 or 20 watts, and possible to modify later. I was looking at a Vox 15 watt valvetronix or whatever the **** they're called for $200, is this a good choice or are others better? Cost is a HUGE factor in this.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

that vox isn't tube. it has A tube. its hybrid

get a blackheart or VJ. they are the only things in your range
I know the blackhearts, but whats a VJ?
On the subject of those Vox amps, I know that hybrids are crap, but I didn't realize those were hybrid. I should have balking when I saw 'modeling'.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Erm, right... I feel like a ****ing retard now
I could probably extend my price range, I'm looking for something with a bit more power. What's the cheapest, relatively good souning, valve amp at around 15 or 20 watts?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Quote by PimpedOutSquier
Erm, right... I feel like a ****ing retard now
I could probably extend my price range, I'm looking for something with a bit more power. What's the cheapest, relatively good souning, valve amp at around 15 or 20 watts?

There isn't, really. A VJ will sound louder than you're expecting, especially cranked through a 4x12". Mod one of those up to get experience.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Alright, I'll go with that.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack