okay here's the deal. for my senior project at school, im thinking about building some kind of crazy chrome guitar, modded to hell... but here's the catch. I want it to be a 7-string, but sometimes that 7th string gets in the way when i'm playing music written for a regular 6 string guitar. what i want to know is... Would it be possible to install a six string pickup in the middle or neck positions, so that when i switch to that pickup, the 7th string will mute? i want to put an EMG 707 in the bridge and maybe a dimarzio evolution (6 string) in the middle, and i want it so that when i switch from the EMG to the evo, that the 7th string will not be heard... is this at all possible, or am i just dreaming?
Gear:

Fender fat strat
Ibanez s620ex1
LTD AX-2E

Marshall MG250dfx
it wont mute the string, cos itll still pick up the vibrations. it will quieten the bottom string, but you will still be able to hear it. good idea though :P
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
i think that even with your set up like that, that the 7th will still sound a little bit. I like the idea but i dont see it working. only thing i can think of is to get use to the 7th being there when you dont need to use it. practice practice practice.
The seventh string might still pick up in the other pickups, but it will definately be quieter, it might not pickup i dont know
so there is no way i could stop the 6 string pickup in anyway from picking up the 7th string? even if it would quiet it a bit, it would be a start, but how much do you think it would quiet it?
Gear:

Fender fat strat
Ibanez s620ex1
LTD AX-2E

Marshall MG250dfx
Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I read an interview of the famous pick up designer TV Jones in which he stated '..I took away the pole rod from underneath the high e-sting and there was hardly any difference. The pole rod of the B-string took up all the signal the e-string was giving. No wonder that a lot of pick ups have a bad definition and a muddy sound..'
From that statement I conclude that it is a difficult feat for a designer to avoid this. Most probably all pole rods to some extend pick up signals from adjacent strings. The better not as much as the worse, but always enough to be quite audible. I think therefore that your plan is not going to work.

But maybe you can think up something else. A mechanical- instead of an electronic solution perhaps; something in the line of a small lever that pushes something against the 7th string to jam it?
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Feb 11, 2008,
its an awsome idea and everything but why not just use your 6 when you need ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
you should go crazy and make an individual pickup for each string. crazy stereo output FTW!
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux

But maybe you can think up something else. A mechanical- instead of an electronic solution perhaps; something in the line of a small lever that pushes something against the 7th string to jam it?

i think this is ur best shot
it would be hard to do it using the p/u selector switch as the way to activate it as it is so far from the strings but if u did something up by p/u ring that u flick and it rises up and dampens the string?
Just put a little grabber by the bridge, where the string moves very little, that will hold down felt onto the string. That'll work.

Or you could just have 2 guitars.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
You are not going to be able to silence the 7th string electronically, your gonna have to do it mechanically. I've some old hollow bodies that have an arm with a piece of rubber on it that can be raised up to the strings near the bridge to mute the strings. It shouldn't be to hard to make a small one just for the one string.
If you only ever hit the 7 string lightly by accident then a 6 string pup may not pick it up at all, giving your idea a small chance of success. But to go though the whole building process to find out in fact it does still pick the sound up fine (like marcel pointed out), it is probably not worth it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
well ,if it's just ringing open, what you could do is make a really accurate equaliser, that cuts off just the B note.
Couldn't you just put piezo saddles on all the strings but the seventh?
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by Miracle_Man
Couldn't you just put piezo saddles on all the strings but the seventh?

+!. This would work best methinks. There would still be a little false triggering, but this is a much better solution than a 6er pup.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money