Hey all,

Starting to get a lot more serious with my playing now. I want to/will be playing with other people quite a lot more, and eventually some small/medium sized venues for gigs. I play punk mostly such as Misfits etc. I also play Pop Punk music such as Green Day (mainly the type of songs from Dookie and Insomniac)

Sooo I am pretty sure I will be needing a larger amp, especially seeing as I need to be heard over a drummer.

The amp I am considering is the Marshall MG100HDFX. And I am aware of how many MG haters there are on UG so please, don't turn this into a MG hate thread. I currently play an MG30DFX and I love it, it's the perfect sound for me.

So, in your opinion, based on the information I have given, would the MG100HDFX sound like a good investment?

Thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
So I'm guessing thats 100 watts. 100 watts will definately be sufficient for what you need. 80 watts would definitely pull it off too. I was looking at that amp but decided to get a Bandit 112 as it was cheaper.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by austinarcadium
I have a friend that plays alot of punk. he plays out of a fender frontman 212r

nonono
and mg=****, i also have an mg, its terrible, get liek a 30w tube amp
Omg...It's clear why I've never seen any of you guys in GG&A.
DON'T get the Marshall- it's the SAME schematic as the MG15 practice amp. Just a loud version.
You want a valve combo. And you do NOT need 100 watts. If you get a valve amp, anything above 40 watts will deafen you.
I would recommend a Laney VC30 if you're in Europe, or somthing like a Palomino V32/Peavey Classic 30 if you're in the US for your genres- Laney would be the best IMO, but they're not very good value for money in the States.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by Yngwi3
Omg...It's clear why I've never seen any of you guys in GG&A.
DON'T get the Marshall- it's the SAME schematic as the MG15 practice amp. Just a loud version.
You want a valve combo. And you do NOT need 100 watts. If you get a valve amp, anything above 40 watts will deafen you.
I would recommend a Laney VC30 if you're in Europe, or somthing like a Palomino v30/Peavey Classic 30 if you're in the US for your genres- Laney would be the best IMO, but they're not very good value for money in the States.

thank you i was losing confidence in this thread
fender frontman? bandit? mg?
good god
I have the MG100HDFX.
I too, play punk.
I cover these songs with my brother:

Sonic Reducer - Dead Boys
St. Jimmy - Greenday
Mongoloid - DEVO
Skulls - Misfits
Unity - Operation Ivy
The Crowd - Operation Ivy
Salvation - Rancid
Were Only Gonna Die - Bad Religion.

Before we played punk, we played 80's Hair Metal cause my dad liked it. I also like playing Raggae, Metal and Blues. I can get a decent tone for all of those with a combonation of my DS-1 and my MG.

If I were you, I'd take the $600 you would spend on the MG Halfstack and buy a DSL 401 off ebay. You'd be happier.

Any questions?

EDIT: Here is a video with the MG100 Halfstack and my DS-1 hooked together. (Guitar, Drums, Vox):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mLJrBNC2UEk

EDIT2: The amp is loud enough for school auditoriums.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Last edited by lagunasunrise at Feb 11, 2008,
If i were u, i would go try out something like a Peavey Valveking or a Crate Palomino V32 or a B-52 AT-112. For $480, u should be able to get much better tone.
I'm just going to re-iterate what I said. The amp schematic for ALL MG's (aside from the wiring to the speaker if it's a head obviously) is the same as this:

Doesn't look so great now does it?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I'm just going to re-iterate what I said. The amp schematic for ALL MG's (aside from the wiring to the speaker if it's a head obviously) is the same as this:

Doesn't look so great now does it?

Nopers
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
get a kustom 36

or one of them old fender deluxe or stage 112 thingys...cheap and ****in loud!
dude go for the fender frontman 212r its a killer amp almost any sound you want sans pedals go play it though man its a killer amp
Half this thread is full of bad advice. And it isn't the half recommending tube combos.

Seriously, for $600 you can get a Peavey Classic 30, Crate V32, Peavey Valveking, B-52 AT-112, etc. Do not get a Fender of any kind for what you play. Do not get a Marshall unless you buy a used JCM900.
Peavey Valveking or Vox Valvetronix, both absolutely amazing amps.
I got my valvetronix for $500, and its worth every damn penny, freakin amazing it is.
Quote by Kazmo
dude go for the fender frontman 212r its a killer amp almost any sound you want sans pedals go play it though man its a killer amp

Wrong. Trust me, I know...
pffft i knew people would start the MG hate.
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Any 30watt tube amp will be louder, cost you less and sound better cranked up then an MG halfstack for $600. Its not about hating, there are some good solid state practice amps out there but for higher volumes like for gigs and to cut through the mix you should get a tube amp for 1 simple reason. The louder you crank a tube amp the better it sounds, the louder you crank any solid state the more it clips and the tone goes down the sh*tter. Solid states sound good at low volumes, tubes at high. Gigs require higher volumes. Its still up to you though
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Storer

I didn't flame the MG and I gave you good help...

...Just **** it. Waste $600 bucks and two years later make a thread about which tube amp you want to buy.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by Storer

Of course they will, MG's are crap...what did you expect, that people would just pander to you and give you the answer you wanted to hear. I think you need to ask yourself this question - did you post this thread because you genuinely want advice, or were you just hoping for a few posts that would massage your ego and lend weight to to the decision that you've already made which is to buy the MG?

The MG 15 is a passable practice amp for a beginner, anything bigger is a horrendous waste of money and crap sounding to boot. The Peavey Classic 30 and Laney VC30 that have both been recommended are perfect for what you want depending on which side of the pond you're on

If you're not going to listen to the good advice you've been given and persist in whining every time you hear something you don't like then you're better off deleting the thread.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Storer

my motivation to be helpful has just disappeared.

if you must ignore everybody who is telling you to get a 30 watt tube combo rather than an amateurish sounding 100 watt halfstack that is no better than the cheap 10 watt version, go ahead and get the 100 watt halfstack, you'll be the one who regrets it, not us. we don't give a crap in the long run, we're just trying to be helpful.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
blompcube is exactly right...

we're not just saying it for the sake of it....30 watt tube combo would do you lovely you won't regret it
Randall RG50TC or Laney LC30 II - simple as. I wouldn't even touch the valveking if it offered me a free blowjob from Hayley Williams. As for the MGs, Fender FMs and Peavey Bandits you seem so attracted to, they're the amp equivalent of sleeping with Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses.

Not so attractive now, are they?
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Feb 12, 2008,
I was actually asking for ADVICE you know. and there isn't an "answer i want to hear"
If you read the post properley instead of being a fag you would realise i said please don't tell me how crap MG's are.
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Quote by Storer
I was actually asking for ADVICE you know. and there isn't an "answer i want to hear"
If you read the post properley instead of being a fag you would realise i said please don't tell me how crap MG's are.

...which means there was an answer you didn't want to hear, therefore by association there had to be an answer you did want to hear. QEP....Quod Erat Pwned

You wanted to know if the MG100 would be a "good investment", it won't...it's not even an investment as that word implies some inherent value. You've been given lots of good advice, you just chose to ignore it because it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

*reported*
for an inability to understand your own questions
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 12, 2008,
If you spend as much time playing your guitar as you do starting pointless arguments you'd be pro.
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Storer:

Here is what you want to hear.
You like the MGs? Get one. Go ahead. I'll support you in buying what you want, despite what everyone else tells you.
If you like it, get it.

As far as quality amps go or good investments, it's not really one of either.
To be honest, anything over 60-80w solid is REALLY ****ING LOUD.
The Hartke I have is about half of what that MG costs, and sure it's not 100w or 4x12, but it's loud, and as long as I'm not running my EMGs through it sounds pretty good, thanks to a preamp tube.
But in the end even it is just a practice amp, and considering it sounds like a turd when I play my favorite guitar through it, I likely won't keep it long.

Take a look at the VOX Valvetronix series. Maybe even the Marshall AVT-series. You're probably better off for the money to get an entry level tube combo though... something with about 30w and 1x12 or 2x12.

Bottom line: They're your dollars.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by Aidy Damage
I wouldn't even touch the valveking if it offered me a free blowjob from Hayley Williams.

Whoa, now that my friend is too far.

but in all seriousness, check out the ValveKing. people will suggest it and not suggest it, but in the end it all comes down to what you like.

on the subject of the MG: you might like yours now, but why not be open to other amplifiers you could like more?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Why dissing the Peavey Bandit? Its one of the Transtube Series, one of the few good-sounding solid states. I promise you you can turn it up a lot louder without clipping than all of its competitors. I would gig with one mic'd in a pinch, thats how good it sounds. Really TS you may want to listen to the people pointing out tube combos if you really care about tone.
personally i have a laney LC15R
and i'd say its very gd valve amp, 30 watts i think (correct me if im wrong ug)
but seriouslyy its brilliant for gigging it can be heard over a drummer which is most important thing but yeh deffo go for a valve amp, in my opinion. un less ur desperate for a solid state that is......
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
I just read this thread and I wanna go buy a 30 watt tube amp, thanks guys...

Storer, look at what people are telling you, if you want the MG go buy it. Or, try the tube amps and see what YOU think.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
This board is not for people to post that they are buying ****ty gear in hopes that someone will support them. We bash MG's because they suck and no self respecting guitarist should use them. Yes, obviously preference in tone and other aspects of playing are very subjective. But there are some things we can all agree on, and the fact that MGs are terrible amps is one of them.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
go for a 30watt-50watt tube amp,i have a laney LC50II...u'll spend more but u get good quality and big sound...i like to buy things once for exemple if u have enough money to get a good valve amp go for it cus u usually end up getting bored with transistors like the mg series and buying a tube amp anyways...the only thing is that u spent more than what u needed...if u really want the mg series i can tell u that it's not a horrible amp but it's nothing close to a tube...def better than the fender fm series at least on the overdrive channel from what i've heard
Considering you had made up your mind before making this thread and only wanted to hear some people validate your position to make you feel warm and fuzzy, this thread is a waste of space, thus, is now closed.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure