its really been bothering me for quite a long time.
idk if its my picking method or what, but i need to get rid of it.
its REALLY affecting how i play, my picking arm tires out and its difficult to move.
help?
Originally Posted by Death_switch
Why would anyone learn to read braille through sight? This reminds me of a vending machine I saw with braille on the buttons. I mean what's the point if you can't see what the buttons correspond with?
just work it out.
my arm starts hurting if im just doing some fast picking for a couple of minutes.
just keep slowing working it out for longer ammounts of time.
or lift weights.
anything that works the arm out.
i tried working out for about a month or two, nothing changed.
and this has been going on for at least 4 months, its been getting worse and worse.
i play death metal, and other stuff like that, i cant...slow down.
Why would anyone learn to read braille through sight? This reminds me of a vending machine I saw with braille on the buttons. I mean what's the point if you can't see what the buttons correspond with?
Quote by eaton1012
try some hand stretches

like what?
i cant think of anything to do for up and down movements...
Less motion, more efficiency translates into accuracy and speed. Most of the motion should be from the wrist to the hand in most cases. The forearm muscles will give you problems for a while, but they will beef up.
whack off more
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by valhallawaitsme
i play death metal, and other stuff like that, i cant...slow down.

Best quote ever.

I think it is probably your picking technique, or where you swing your arm. Watch yourself in a mirror while you play to see if you are doing anything with it that you notice.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
heres what you do:

1. smaller more precise movements (less exertion on the wrist)
2. watch numerous live videos of death metal guitarists (chuck schuldiner) and see what they are doing, you should look very similar
3.practice everyday and up the amount of time you spend speed picking
4. masturbate excessively to even out blood flow
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
i do a lottttt of speed picking.
and i can't go as fast when i try other methods.
Is your arm tensing up? It shouldn't do that, be relaxed while playing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
yeah, i noticed that, but i can't...not do it.
I used to have the same problem, it turns out I was gripping the plectrum too hard.
Quote by valhallawaitsme
idk if its my picking method or what

whats your picking method?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
i hold the pick with my thumb and index finger, and i kind of keep my hand closed, not tight just not open either.
i tried like that.
Quote by valhallawaitsme
yeah, i noticed that, but i can't...not do it.

You just gotta start slow and build up speed over the years.. there's no way around it, unfortunately. If you go on like this you'll always be tensing up when you pick fast, probly spazzing out later on. You might end up like Steve Morse or John Petrucci. Petrucci has to massage himself to keep himself from cramping up. Morse apparantly needs heat therapy before gigs (don't quote me on that though).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
A few people in this thread nailed it - less tension and pick from the wrist. If you don't want to slow down and relearn your picking technique, then have fun with arm / wrist pain and maybe carpal tunnel - trust me, well worth it to relearn. It doesn't take that long, I had to do it. Just force yourself to pick from the wrist for a couple weeks and it will start to come naturally. Make sure your arm isn't tense at all either.
ok, ill try that later this week.
im working on a song with my keyboardist, unless i'm having a big problem finishing it, ill put it off.