I've been playing for a little over two years and just yesterday I discovered how to sweep this shape relatively fast.

------------12h15p12---------
----------13--------13-------
--------12------------12-----
------14----------------14---
-12-15--------------------15-
-----------------------------

So I got really excited and promptly played that one shape all up and down the neck for like two hours.

I realize this is probably a fairly easy shape, so I'd like you guys to give me some songs that use somewhat easy sweeping so I can practice, as well as tips for practicing other than doing the same sweep over and over. I have minimal theory knowledge, I've been meaning to learn it for a while now but I have too many AP classes, so feel free to explain things out to me like you're talking to an idiot.

I should also mention that I find this kind of sweep hard to do:

---12p10------10-12---
--------10--10--------
----------10----------
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------

I can hit the notes, but I can't keep the 10's from ringing.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
you have to roll your finger on the tens, so you mute the 2 that you dont wanna play.
theory is pretty integral to making up your own sweeps, so make time! lol
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get right on that when summer break starts.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
If you use Guitar Pro i can write you up some sweepings stuff.

I do, and that would be great. Thanks.,
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
How did you "discover" sweeping TS? Explain. I've been battling on and off with it for a while, it is the only technique I simply "cannot" do and it really annoys me as my alt pickings quite good.
Quote by Jackolas
How did you "discover" sweeping TS? Explain. I've been battling on and off with it for a while, it is the only technique I simply "cannot" do and it really annoys me as my alt pickings quite good.

Me too. I have been playing for four years and am pretty advanced, still sweeping gives me hard time. I can sweep really slowly, but all that shred gives me headaches. What is the trick?
Sweeping is an odd technique. You either get it or you don't. And if you don't, you have to work extremely hard to achieve the correct touch and technique. I suggest getting a guitar teacher to help you out, if need be.
Already have a master of shredding as instructor, but I still don't get it. Meh, I'll just go play some tapping licks. Just as fast, but way easier.
i think many people give up trying to sweep when they realise it's not easy. i would suggest learning economy picking first as it uses the same motion. just you're changing one string. than sweeping is really the expanditure. somethings to remember is

always keep your wrist firm and use your arm not your wrist to do the sweep. mute with your picking hand aswell as fretting hand. and practice it slow. at like 40 beats and remember to keep it one fluid motion throughout. if you cannot do it slow you cannot do it fast
Quote by Jackolas

There are a few songs that I play a lot that utilize those shapes I tabbed but not quite at the speed at which it's sweep picking (For instance, Bleeding Mascara by Atreyu or Turn Soonest to The Sea by Protest The Hero), and I guess that first shape just got into my muscle memory.
As for the picking hand, that was the hardest part, as I'd always try to pick the individual notes. Synchronizing the two hands is the hardest part of learning sweep picking, I think. But I kinda just stumbled on it last weekend.
I don't know if any of that made sense, I suck at explaining things, but just keep trying. Once you get your hands synchronized, it's actually kinda easy.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
EDIT: oh, wow. How'd I manage to double post?

And I don't have Guitar Pro, I have Powertab. I don't know if that helps. I've actually been using some Human Abstract stuff to practice, like the chorus to Crossing The Rubicon and the end of Mea Culpa.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
EDIT: oh, wow. How'd I manage to double post?

And I don't have Guitar Pro, I have Powertab. I don't know if that helps. I've actually been using some Human Abstract stuff to practice, like the chorus to Crossing The Rubicon and the end of Mea Culpa.

yeah i know you can convert powertabs to work with guitar pro but not the other way around. i do have a short 6 page thing i did awhile back for another member. hit me up on my page and hook me up with your e-mail and ill send them to you.
I don't really have any songs with sweep picking in them but I have some shapes that are relatively easy

------------11h15p11------------
----------13--------13----------
--------12------------12--------
------13----------------13------
-11h15--------------------15p11-
--------------------------------

its basically a minor arpeggio shape with an added note on the A string, but, It will give off an M7 sound because of that added note because that note can act as the root.

------------11h15p11------------
----------13--------13----------
--------12------------12--------
------13----------------13------
-12h15--------------------15p12-
--------------------------------

Basically the same shape only the added note is moved up one fret. This changes this chord into a Am7b5 arpeggio, which sounds super sweet by the way.

It looks hard at first but its basically like the ones you've been playing. Plus, no rolling (I suck at rolling my finger, but I'm working on it), so this makes these shapes a bit easier.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done