WHATS THE DIFFERENCE.

i want to start getting some pedals and they will pry all be boss. but anyway what is the difference between distortion and overdrive. There is so many pedals to choose from but idk which ones to get.
use the search bar, and do a little research online, i think you will find an abundance of the information you are looking for
Distortions are beter for SS amps, they give more distortion then an OD pedal would on a SS amp. If u have a small tube amp or when u get a tube amp, u definately will want an Overdrive pedal. It pushes tubes and gives em a boost, so u get more drive.
Besides all this i would like to hear why all your new pedals will be Boss (can anyone say tone suckers?).
ye try other brands. boss aint the boss of pedals.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Distortion and overdrive have different wave shapes which make hte ear perceive the sounds differently. Go google it if you want to learn more
Quote by qotsa1998
Distortions are beter for SS amps, they give more distortion then an OD pedal would on a SS amp. If u have a small tube amp or when u get a tube amp, u definately will want an Overdrive pedal. It pushes tubes and gives em a boost, so u get more drive.

It doesnt push tubes O.o...it adds sustain and drive which sounds more natrual than a distortion pedal

and can also be used to add extra sustain etc...to your amp without changing the colour of your tone. very useful pedals
Overdrive pedals were originally created to somewhat replicate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, where the sound starts to break up...

They have taken that much further than it ever ocurred naturally though..

Overdrive typically provides a more robust and less harsh sound that distortion pedals do. They can be cruchy but usually without going over the top...

Distortion employs gain to create a much heavier sound with usually more dynamic properties....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Just as a note, the terms do get used interchangeably, too. Generally, what the pedal is called should be accurate. However, it seems pretty common for some people to always use the same term for all the types.
fendr15, my advice is: grab your axe, go into a music store and try different overdrive and distortion pedals, from different brands. Then buy the one you liked the most, since od and dist are very different, and there's nothing like your own ears to tell the difference.

On a personal note, i'm a HUGE Boss fan, i have a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, a Boss OD-3 Overdrive and a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus. They do wonders for my tone.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
i just like boss. I would look into other brands though. Since i live an hour away from my local music store i dont get around there very much but i will try the different pedals out. I have and a idea of what the two sound like now that i did some research. But thanks to every one.