Are there any downfalls to the head or combo?

combo looks cool from the back
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
its so UGLLY
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Who cares about the looks of an amp? It's the sound you pay for. And the Combo will be easier to transport. So combo is what you're after.
Quote by papersun87
If it has one downfall, it's that it doesn't have that R4WK 4ND R0LL L@@K!!1

I mean, doesn't this just SCREAM br00t4lz metullzz?!?

Quote by gface
its so UGLLY

You can get them in many different combinations of grills and tolex. I've never seen the one on the Mesa website in person, I doubt that's the one he's planning on getting.

Awesome amps however.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
WTF? The Mark IV isn't ugly. Even in the regular black tolex it looks sexy as hell. If I ever get a headshell for mine, it's gonna be in bubinga with a tweed grille though. Like this:

Teh sex.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by thellamaking
Who cares about the looks of an amp? It's the sound you pay for. And the Combo will be easier to transport. So combo is what you're after.

the combo is no lightweight, that sucker is heavy. Personally, I would rather carry the head and smaller cab if I was worried about transporting it. Also, have to consider the combo is open back. Depending what you play, you may want a closed back cab, which would mean even more to carry.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Cattle Decapitation are sh1t HOUSE!!!
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by Erock503
the combo is no lightweight, that sucker is heavy. Personally, I would rather carry the head and smaller cab if I was worried about transporting it. Also, have to consider the combo is open back. Depending what you play, you may want a closed back cab, which would mean even more to carry.

Yeah, I hear the combo is actually close to 80 pounds, whereas the head is about 50 and the cab, depending on what you get of course, another 50. I have the head and the 3/4 back 1x12 cab, and while it's a huge pain in the ass to carry, is probably more bearable than the combo. It's tough lifting that 50 pounds, I can't imagine 80.

Oh, and it sounds brilliant even at low volume.

The only problem I have with mine is it's near 15 years old - I just had it repaired and most of its little quirks fixed, but there's still one obnoxious thing. There's a big volume jump right in between one and two on the master volume - at the low end of the jump it's too quiet and has that irritating muffled "low volume tube" sound, but right above the jump it's a bit too loud for bedroom practice. Can't believe the repair guy missed that, I might have to go back and complain..
Last edited by REPOMAN at Feb 11, 2008,
ha, i think that stupid volume thing is just the way it was designed. everywhere i read about it, the writer says that owners know what he's talking about when he talks about the volume jump. dunno if there's any way around that, other than an attenuator.

oh, and i personally like the head better, but the combo isn't far behind. and vintage 30's with this amp is overkill on the mids ugh.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ha, i think that stupid volume thing is just the way it was designed. everywhere i read about it, the writer says that owners know what he's talking about when he talks about the volume jump. dunno if there's any way around that, other than an attenuator.

oh, and i personally like the head better, but the combo isn't far behind. and vintage 30's with this amp is overkill on the mids ugh.

Hey I see you like Coheed & Cambria. Did you go to their show at the Roseland Ballroom in November. You kinda look like someone that was there.

But anyway I think you should go for the head just because it's easier to carry and more versatile.
nah, i've only been to one of their shows a couple of years ago. it was that free one in central park ha. really hot out, but worth it totally.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I would definatly prefer the head. You have more tonal control. Say you want more bottom end, buy an oversized cabinet with some honkin speakers. If you want more bite, maybe get some sort of ported cabinet with say GT12-75 speakers.

With the combo you're limited to only open back and whatever speaker is currently, or one you switch out.

The head is very lightweight for a tube amp head as well, about 45lbs or so, not hard to carry at all.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by REPOMAN
The only problem I have with mine is it's near 15 years old - I just had it repaired and most of its little quirks fixed, but there's still one obnoxious thing. There's a big volume jump right in between one and two on the master volume - at the low end of the jump it's too quiet and has that irritating muffled "low volume tube" sound, but right above the jump it's a bit too loud for bedroom practice. Can't believe the repair guy missed that, I might have to go back and complain..

He didn't miss it. Mine is about 10 years old and has always done that. It's not a defect. You just have to tweak it right. For the Lead channel, I keep the channel volume on about 3, keep it in Class A/Triode mode, and Tweed power. You can trim the volume with a light touch and get it "right between," but yeah, the volume bump is impressive.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 11, 2008,
My Mark IV (erocks mark IV) is 17 years old. It just has a problem with the reverb and footswitch, no big deal at all.

Tonally it's 100% in perfect working order.

As for the volume jump...yeah, it gets loud fast, but it's not really hard to control. If I want it to be a tad bit louder I just bump up all the channel volumes about .5-2 instead of messing with the main master volume, which does have the uncontrollably loud increase in volume.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hmm, I've never noticed an increase in volume on mine like you guys are saying and mine's a Rev A like a few of yours.

My Mark IV's in a rack case so it weighs the same, if not more than what my 5150 combo weighed. It's damn heavy for how small it is, that's for sure, but I'd still rather carry it over that 5150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
if your playing metal just get the head for a half stack because through a 4x12 youll get a little bit more low end

and if you got the combo youd still need to transport it have you ever felt the weight of a markIV!? =O
Quote by Dirk Gently
He didn't miss it. Mine is about 10 years old and has always done that. It's not a defect. You just have to tweak it right. For the Lead channel, I keep the channel volume on about 3, keep it in Class A/Triode mode, and Tweed power. You can trim the volume with a light touch and get it "right between," but yeah, the volume bump is impressive.

That makes me feel a lot better actually, now I know it's in 100% working order I use the same settings, class a / triode / tweed, which I believe is the lowest possible power setting on the amp. I don't know if I said earlier but it's loud enough at 2 master / 6 lead volume for band practice. I know what you mean about getting it right in between, but I always end up bumping it up too high and annoying everyone in the house.

Thanks for all the replies about that little "issue" ...
Last edited by REPOMAN at Feb 12, 2008,
^ The trick, then, is to keep the master past the bump (on 2) and then use your channel volume, which has a smooth taper.
Hi, I'm Peter
thats weird!!! my master is smooooooth, and my channel volumes jump really far from 0-1... mine is a B so idk if that might have something to do with it.

i keep my channels at 1.5 and turn the master from 2-3 for practicing. playing with a drummer i do master at 3-4 and channels anywhere from 3-5
Well Enough Alone
^ hm, that is weird. i usually keep my channel volumes pretty high, like 7-9. and jam with a drummer with the master on 2-3. so freakin loud o_O
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ hm, that is weird. i usually keep my channel volumes pretty high, like 7-9. and jam with a drummer with the master on 2-3. so freakin loud o_O

Same here, I leave clean on 10 and adjust rhythm 2 and lead so that volume levels are equal (around 7.5 and 6 respectively). That's why I usually don't move them to adjust volume, because I have them all set where they should be.
^ yeah, exactly. problem with the clean channel up high is the breakup though... which isn't always welcome
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I keep my channel volumes balanced, n00bs

Rh. 1 is around 7-8, Rh. 2 around 4-5, and Lead at 3.
Hi, I'm Peter
tehe

well, i like my preamp cranked a bit. since we all know we ain't getting powertube od with 85watts...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Dirk Gently
I keep my channel volumes balanced, n00bs

Rh. 1 is around 7-8, Rh. 2 around 4-5, and Lead at 3.

That's about what mine's set at as well. No huge volume jumps for me with the master volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by UnsignedRecords
tehe

well, i like my preamp cranked a bit. since we all know we ain't getting powertube od with 85watts...

uhhh... thats why you crank the master and use the channel volume sparingly for power tube distortion. but its not like you need any more saturation with this amp. LoG keep their master at 2 and channels at 2 and they have monstrous tone.

to the TS, the combo is cool if you wanna go all stealth like. noobs will be like "omfg what a poser with this newb amp" and when you turn it on it will crush their skulls. but from personal experience, dont get the combo. its fkn heavy and it is top heavy at that so in transport it tries to kill itself by tipping over. get bungie cords if u get the combo lmao.
Well Enough Alone
Last edited by guitardude11 at Feb 12, 2008,
meh, i'll try that next time. see how it works out. if i'm gonna crank the master, i usually have it in class a mode.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.